Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

3 BAR MAP LS6 intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SM105K
The 35 dollar price tag to me is a dead give away that it isn't. I wouldnt trust it reading 20+ psi of boost. But that is just me.
Efi source has very nice products. I have there 3 bar map and have no problems with it. Denmah tunes my car and has nothing but good to say about them. They are local to us also
Old 05-19-2014, 07:54 PM
7 Second Club

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

Is that EFI Source 3 bar map sensor the one that comes on the diesel? I don't see a GM part number anywhere to look up the actual specs.

Most tuners don't like the old style 3 bar map sensors because they have an ~8% variance in high vacuum and high boost situations. Most of the newer sensors like the DPE Corvettes one or the ZR1 map sensor are within a couple of percent in those areas and have nice data available. The only problem with the ZR1 map sensor on a Gen3 PCM is that you can't put in negative numbers for the scalar so it will always be off by a tad not to mention it's not plug and play.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yes you can we were begging for that change On the HP tuner forum and we got it,Negative numbers are now able to be entered,Download latest version and check.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

have a 2.5 from dpe coming out soon as my 3 bar and new turbo get here. If anyone wanted it.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:31 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by KRAZY K 2000 TA
Oh yes you can we were begging for that change On the HP tuner forum and we got it,Negative numbers are now able to be entered,Download latest version and check.
Nice! I knew they added the scalar to the non custom operating systems but didn't know they fixed the entry of negative numbers. Still the problem with the ZR1 sensor is that it doesn't fit in the manifold and the connector is different for all Gen3 PCMs so it's not a direct plug and play.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:33 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

i have used the EFI source sensor in many builds,

great sensor,

Mike T who owns EFI source is a hell of a guy
Old 05-20-2014, 10:48 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by denmah
i have used the EFI source sensor in many builds,

great sensor,

Mike T who owns EFI source is a hell of a guy
What is the part number of that sensor so I can look at the datasheet?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

Here is the PN to the EFI source MAP. I ordered one and sold the ZR1 sensor since it wasn't plug and play. I asked them for the parameters as well but they couldn't give me an answer.

SE-107
Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by schmendog
Here is the PN to the EFI source MAP. I ordered one and sold the ZR1 sensor since it wasn't plug and play. I asked them for the parameters as well but they couldn't give me an answer.

SE-107
That's just the EFI Source SKU number, what is the actual sensor part number? It should have an ac delco, gm part #, or Delphi part # so the actual datasheet can be looked up. I've yet to see a true 3 bar map sensor that is that style that has good accuracy through out with the correct range that goes all the way down to 10-20 kpa.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Dsteck will not tell you the numbers unless you buy his sensor. I know because I built my own, and asked for his help with the linear and offset. He responded and declined to tell me.
I calculated them from the transfer function. I am not convinced that calculation gives the correct offset.

Anyway, I'm using mine anyway.

So if anyone has Dsteck's sensor and would care to share those numbers with me in private, I'd like a sanity check of my values. I used the same Freescale 3 bar sensor he uses.

Ron
Everybody wants something for nothing. I will say you calculated it wrong.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by DSX Tuning
Everybody wants something for nothing. I will say you calculated it wrong.
I've seen more than a few older posts over on the HPT site where you asked for help and the folks stepped up. :-)

Also found where you explained how to calculate the values in the absence of having the transfer function.
I went back through the calculations both ways and found the source of my error and corrected it.
Given the fact that I've only used about half the scale thus far, my error wasn't all that significant.

Thanks

Ron
Old 05-21-2014, 12:59 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NicD
That's just the EFI Source SKU number, what is the actual sensor part number? It should have an ac delco, gm part #, or Delphi part # so the actual datasheet can be looked up. I've yet to see a true 3 bar map sensor that is that style that has good accuracy through out with the correct range that goes all the way down to 10-20 kpa.
If a guy had a nice bench setup that could measure pressure and vacuum, you could measure that sensor and not only see how good or bad that sensor is, the linear and offset could be generated as well.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:17 PM
7 Second Club

If a guy had a nice bench setup that could measure pressure and vacuum, you could measure that sensor and not only see how good or bad that sensor is, the linear and offset could be generated as well.
I did that nearly 6 years ago with all of the available sensors at that time as well as dug up all of the datasheets from power & signal. To my knowledge those companies have not put out another factory style LS1 sensor either which means it's more than likely the old diesel sensor but a simple manufacturer part number would tell the tale. This obviously excludes the customized factory housings with the motorola parts inside like the ones from dpe corvettes and dsteck.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NicD
I did that nearly 6 years ago with all of the available sensors at that time as well as dug up all of the datasheets from power & signal. To my knowledge those companies have not put out another factory style LS1 sensor either which means it's more than likely the old diesel sensor but a simple manufacturer part number would tell the tale. This obviously excludes the customized factory housings with the motorola parts inside like the ones from dpe corvettes and dsteck.
I took the stock sensor from my 5.3 apart and replaced the guts with a Freescale (Motorola) 20-304 kpa sensor. Found the info on the Corvette forum. With a background in microelectronics it wasn't hard for me. But it is tricky soldering. The sensor itself is $12.
As Dsteck noted in that discussion, it's basically a pain in the ***. And you need the correct potting compounds etc to seal it up etc.
With the effort involved, they aren't getting rich making these.

Ron
Old 05-21-2014, 02:32 PM
7 Second Club

I took the stock sensor from my 5.3 apart and replaced the guts with a Freescale (Motorola) 20-304 kpa sensor. Found the info on the Corvette forum. With a background in microelectronics it wasn't hard for me. But it is tricky soldering. The sensor itself is $12.
As Dsteck noted in that discussion, it's basically a pain in the ***. And you need the correct potting compounds etc to seal it up etc.
With the effort involved, they aren't getting rich making these.

Ron
Yeah I'm a big fan of those sensors, they are nice and accurate over the entire range and have a lot less drift with big weather swings. It's definitely a time consuming operation to put them together like that in the factory housing so I see why they charge as much as they do. I've been running the dpe corvettes one since 09 I think it was when they came out with it in my Camaro because the other options for that boost range just sucked.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:38 PM
8 Second Club

I haven't downloaded the latest HPT SW yet. But if we really can enter neg offset in the custom 3 BAR OS, then the new GM sensor will be the one to use, even if it's not plug and play.

I only say that because it would have been through reliability testing.

Good read here.

Ron
Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

What about the FAST sensors? That's what was suggested to me to run for my car. Are they just a renumbered OEM unit of some kind?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Teching In

I haven't downloaded the latest HPT SW yet. But if we really can enter neg offset in the custom 3 BAR OS, then the new GM sensor will be the one to use, even if it's not plug and play.

I only say that because it would have been through reliability testing.

Good read here.

Ron
There are two problems with the 12592525 MAP sensor.

1) You have to drill the hole out (12mm I believe) because the Bosch style sensor uses a larger nipple.
2) You need a wiring adapter or a new plug, and the new plug will cost you about $10 plus shipping in parts, plus you need the right crimpers if you want to do a good job (speaking from experience, the $20 crap W-crimpers are lousy and difficult compared to the $150 Kent-Moore ones).

Otherwise, let her rip. It's worth noting that the pin out is different too.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey fellas, I was just wanting to advise you of the 2 bar maps.

I was pushing 27psi on the stock turbo on my Cobalt SS through HP tuners with E85/91 mixed at 50/50 with the stock 2 bar maps. I can email the file if you want to see some scaling from it. If you are having issues with plumbing the map hole and you want to use the 2 bar it is possible. I'm at work now but I can upload a tune file or PM it to people if you want. Just trying to help out.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by DSX Tuning
There are two problems with the 12592525 MAP sensor.

1) You have to drill the hole out (12mm I believe) because the Bosch style sensor uses a larger nipple.
2) You need a wiring adapter or a new plug, and the new plug will cost you about $10 plus shipping in parts, plus you need the right crimpers if you want to do a good job (speaking from experience, the $20 crap W-crimpers are lousy and difficult compared to the $150 Kent-Moore ones).

Otherwise, let her rip. It's worth noting that the pin out is different too.
Or, if you are good with a soldering iron and heat shrink....

I downloaded the latest version of HPT and verified that we can indeed now enter a neg value for offset. Very cool.

Quick Reply: 3 BAR MAP LS6 intake