Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Wideband/Running lean issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:05 PM
8 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the same filter I run. I've always read to go with a stainless filter with e85. Hopefully that solves your problem like it did Doug's.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

Fuellab only rates the 6 micron fiberglass filter for e85 not the 10 micron cellulose. I suppose you could use there 40 micton stainless filter, but filtering is a little on the course side.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slowride
Fuellab only rates the 6 micron fiberglass filter for e85 not the 10 micron cellulose. I suppose you could use there 40 micton stainless filter, but filtering is a little on the course side.
Yeah, Ryan said others run that filter with no problems. I bought it from him last year. My buddy has the same filter (newer than mine) that I am going to swap in today. If that fixes the issue then I will get the magnafuel one.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 PM
9 Second Club

Ok, so I tried swapping fuel filters, but used a larger fuelab filter that came off my buddies 970 rwhp Turbo Camaro. Same story, lean. Next, I tried his Aeromotive FPR. Still lean. I cranked up pressure and it rises at idle like it should. Dropped it back down and all seemed well. I even took my fpr apart and it looked fine.

How stupid would I be by pulling the filter element out of my filter and running the car like that quick to see what happens? Would it cause fueling issues regardless without having the filter in there to help build pressure? I honestly don't know. Ha.

I still have a stock style filter in my return line since my stock feed line is now my return. I am going to change that out too just for the hell of it. If none of this works then I am truly at a loss. Why does something seemingly so simple have to turn into a damn mind ****.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You would be fine to run it without the element in there. If I were you I'd make a union and ditch it all together for a quick test. I just know for a fact in my case it was the issue and I'm hoping for you also
Old 06-10-2014, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, get that return line filter out of there asap as that should be wide open. If you pull the filter you could run it and see what happens. You could also tap into the fuel pump wiring and monitor voltage (or log it if possible) while pressure is dropping.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
You would be fine to run it without the element in there. If I were you I'd make a union and ditch it all together for a quick test. I just know for a fact in my case it was the issue and I'm hoping for you also
I have already pulled the element from my filter so I will just slap it on there tonight for a quick pull or two. It's just weird that the filter was working fine on my buddies car before he took it down a couple of weeks ago to install the Holley Dominator setup. I am just baffled by all of this and am tired of messing with it. I keep telling all my friends that I should have left the car alone and kept the same setup as last year .

I will install my filter without the element and run it quick. Outside of some weird blockage somewhere in my fuel system, I don't know what else it would be. I should have more than enough pump for the car.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 AM
9 Second Club

Yea, get that return line filter out of there asap as that should be wide open. If you pull the filter you could run it and see what happens. You could also tap into the fuel pump wiring and monitor voltage (or log it if possible) while pressure is dropping.
Another good point. I DO need to monitor voltage at the pumps for sure. Any ideas on how to get the return filter out of there since I am using the stock fuel line as my return? I should say without making a complete new line. If I go that route then I will just order some -10 and make that my new feed and use my existing -8 feed as the new return. Something I should have done up front, but it worked great all last year and for a week or so this year.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every 3 or 4 tanks of E85 I take my filter out and clean it. It's the stainless mesh. I had a going lean issue that was caused by a clogged filter. All of my lines are rated for ethanol, but I have still noticed signs of deterioration and my filter reflected that.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry I don't have a f body, but does the stock filter have a regulator built in? I'm trying to picture the fittings you would have to deal with to replace the filter with hose, but dorman and a few other make adapters, etc.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Sorry I don't have a f body, but does the stock filter have a regulator built in? I'm trying to picture the fittings you would have to deal with to replace the filter with hose, but dorman and a few other make adapters, etc.
No regulator built in. It was in the fuel bucket which has been gone since the car was turbo'd.

I have been reading numerous threads in which guys have used the stock feed as a return and keep the filter in there. I am going to replace that filter tonight, and put mine back in with no element and take it for a drive. If this doesn't show any results then I will hook up something to check for voltage at the pumps.

I keep going back to the wideband, but it seems to be reading accurately on spring pressure. Also, for as much fuel as I have thrown at it in the tune, I would think it would be super rich and run like garbage. It still pulls hard and seems to run fine, just lean.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

I see, if it's not too much of a pain I'd do them one by one so you can find what the actual problem is. I feel it has to be the filter element in the fuellab but who knows.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 AM
9 Second Club

I will start with putting my fuelab filter back on without the element and see where that gets me. If that doesn't work then I will change the stock filter out. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 AM
9 Second Club

On to checking voltage. Put my filter back on without the element in it and made little to no difference. One weird that thing did happen was my wideband dropped to 8.9 during the 2nd WOT pull, then went full lean, then back full rich. I thought maybe it was giving me issues again. However, it seemed to read right after that. Either way, something in the fueling isn't correct. Fuel pressure still will not rise on a 1:1. A buddy and I are going to rewire some stuff, and check over everything. Probably should add a few more grounds, although voltage never dropped below 12.9 during a run and sits at 13.1-13.2 according to the scanner at all other times.

Outside of checking for voltage, and completely re-doing my fuel system, I have no idea what to do. If voltage checks out, I guess that's the next step I take.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
On to checking voltage. Put my filter back on without the element in it and made little to no difference. One weird that thing did happen was my wideband dropped to 8.9 during the 2nd WOT pull, then went full lean, then back full rich. I thought maybe it was giving me issues again. However, it seemed to read right after that. Either way, something in the fueling isn't correct. Fuel pressure still will not rise on a 1:1. A buddy and I are going to rewire some stuff, and check over everything. Probably should add a few more grounds, although voltage never dropped below 12.9 during a run and sits at 13.1-13.2 according to the scanner at all other times.

Outside of checking for voltage, and completely re-doing my fuel system, I have no idea what to do. If voltage checks out, I guess that's the next step I take.
If all of that checks out, id start looking at the tune. Get in touch with someone really good, tell them you have a slight lean issue and see if they can find anything that you havent noticed. Make sure they dont know your car very well and everything you have tried to do. If they dont find anything start giving them more details, feed them info as they need it. A different set of eyes always helps as they havent been looking at it as much as you. Obviously use the original file before you added a **** ton of fuel
Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 AM
9 Second Club

I can assure you it isn't in the tune. It ran perfect on the dyno and street while being tuned. If it was some Joe Schmoe who tuned it, or if we had problems tuning it, then I could possibly see it being in the tune. Also, there was very little in the tune that changed from last year. Some VE tweaks, small timing changes, and idle stuff is all. I drove it on my old tune a few times (I did make some small VE changes) and had no issues either.

I have added almost 30% fuel in some areas and am seeing no change. If the car was really getting that much more fuel, I feel as if it would be bogging down something fierce. Injector duty cycle is almost 90% on 12 lbs. too which should not be even close to that high. If it weren't for the wideband reading lean, and the fuel pressure gauge dropping in boost, I would think no differently of the car. It still pulls hard and seems to run well.

Will be checking voltage at the pumps this weekend.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I can assure you it isn't in the tune. It ran perfect on the dyno and street while being tuned. If it was some Joe Schmoe who tuned it, or if we had problems tuning it, then I could possibly see it being in the tune. Also, there was very little in the tune that changed from last year. Some VE tweaks, small timing changes, and idle stuff is all. I drove it on my old tune a few times (I did make some small VE changes) and had no issues either.

I have added almost 30% fuel in some areas and am seeing no change. If the car was really getting that much more fuel, I feel as if it would be bogging down something fierce. Injector duty cycle is almost 90% on 12 lbs. too which should not be even close to that high. If it weren't for the wideband reading lean, and the fuel pressure gauge dropping in boost, I would think no differently of the car. It still pulls hard and seems to run well.

Will be checking voltage at the pumps this weekend.

I hear you, wasnt trying to discount your current tune by any means. Just figured a new set of eyes might see something that has been obvious but you just got used to seeing.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get that stock filter out of the return or atleast swap it for a new one? I don't remember either, are the stock filters directional?
Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
I hear you, wasnt trying to discount your current tune by any means. Just figured a new set of eyes might see something that has been obvious but you just got used to seeing.
No worries there man. I know you weren't.

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Did you get that stock filter out of the return or atleast swap it for a new one? I don't remember either, are the stock filters directional?
No, I haven't yet. Still plan on doing that this weekend. I think they are directional. I have seen MightyMouse post about using them in the same configuration I have.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries there man. I know you weren't.

No, I haven't yet. Still plan on doing that this weekend. I think they are directional. I have seen MightyMouse post about using them in the same configuration I have.
I'd replace that filter and checkout the vent on the tank.

Quick Reply: Wideband/Running lean issue