Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intake manifold suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake manifold suggestions

Hey guys. My name is Mike and I have a question. I am putting together a new car, it is a 2000 camaro ss. I have a rod and piston 5.3-5.7 ls a turbo 400, ptc converter, 3.5 gears in a 9 inch. The turbo kit will consist of 2 Borg t4 63 mm turbos. It will have a holley computer etc.

What I am looking at are alternatives to using a ls6 intake manifold. I don't want a tunnel ram, I want to keep my stock hood.

I was thinking about a standard intake that is set up for fuel injection and a hat or elbow what ever you want to call it.
Just wondering what would make good power and still fit under the hood.

P.S. I don't have any or many posts but I have been researching on here and Yellow bullet for over a year now.

Mike Reichen
Old 06-08-2014, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a boosted application I don't see the need for a different intake manifold really. Anyway you want to sum it up, its all pressurized air. I'm running an LS3 intake manifold which has a 4" Holly throttle body. Two 3" charge pipes merge into a 4" pipe and into the throttle body.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Why alternatives to the LS6 ?

Do you already have an LS6 manifold ? or have nothing ?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 fast evo 2
Hey guys. My name is Mike and I have a question. I am putting together a new car, it is a 2000 camaro ss. I have a rod and piston 5.3-5.7 ls a turbo 400, ptc converter, 3.5 gears in a 9 inch. The turbo kit will consist of 2 Borg t4 63 mm turbos. It will have a holley computer etc.

What I am looking at are alternatives to using a ls6 intake manifold. I don't want a tunnel ram, I want to keep my stock hood.

I was thinking about a standard intake that is set up for fuel injection and a hat or elbow what ever you want to call it.
Just wondering what would make good power and still fit under the hood.

P.S. I don't have any or many posts but I have been researching on here and Yellow bullet for over a year now.

Mike Reichen

Mike.

Between Ron, Nutter, Erik @ backstreet performance and I we have all the answers you will ever need! Shoot me a line mang.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Teching In

coltbostin -pm sent
Old 06-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Teching In

So nobody has any insight into what would be a good intake alternative?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 PM
9 Second Club

What are your goals that you are thinking the ls6 intake won't work and need a better alternative?
Old 06-10-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Theres the GMPP or Edlebrock Vic Jr. that is popular around here. I'm using a Vic Jr. that was milled down on the carb mount to allow enough room to fit an Aron's Elbow.
If you already have an LS6 intake, why not roll with this? It works great.

Actually, any intake will work as long is it fits your size constraints. After all, we're talking about a forced inducted engine here, right?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Nothing against the LS6 intake, but it is hyped up beyond belief. For the cost of a used LS6 intake these days, you can buy a new cast aftermarket intake. The LS6 was a great manifold back when you could pick up a used one cheaply. Blowing $450-500 on one seems retarded IMO.

I'd go with something like this for $369

It claims 17 more HP at the wheels over an LS6 intake. And comes with aftermarket rails. Several other choices for around the same cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Products-52061-GM-LS1-LS6-Satin-Aluminum-Intake-w-Fuel-Rails-/261497613395?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce278ec53&vxp=mtr
I went with a $40 ls1 intake personally.

Last edited by Forcefed86; 06-10-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club

The fact that one is all aluminium, potential heat soak, and uses crappy gaskets. Those things would put me off over any factory type intake or composite intake.

But quite right, the price LS6's go for is a bit crazy
Old 06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The fact that one is all aluminium, potential heat soak, and uses crappy gaskets. Those things would put me off over any factory type intake or composite intake.

But quite right, the price LS6's go for is a bit crazy
Thats if you believe everything you read on the net, which looks like you do. My opinion is you know zero about heat soak and airflow and heat through an intake manifold. But that is just my opinion. If you think it makes a major difference thats great. Also the gaskets are not as good as the ls6 gasket but they are certainly not "crappy". Nope I dont run a pro products intake but my buddy does. Zero difference between the logging and tuning we have done versus the Ls2 manifold he was running. He sold that intake for an outrageous amount of money then bought the pro products aluminum intake for a little bit of money and went just as fast.

Last edited by S10LSa; 06-10-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by S10LSa
Thats if you believe everything you read on the net, which looks like you do. My opinion is you know zero about heat soak and airflow and heat through an intake manifold. But that is just my opinion. If you think it makes a major difference thats great.
Did I say it makes a major difference ? Nope.

There is no question aluminium will heat soak more than composite. That's simple physics. it conducts heat far better...you cannot argue with that.

Did I mention anything about airflow through the intake ? Nope.

Airflow will be fast, less heat will be imparted to the air via composite than aluminium. That is once again physics.

Will it be a huge amount ? probably not. Carb intakes would fall into a similar area, although they'd have slightly less surface area overall.

And there is no question the alloy linked above one does use shitty gaskets. With boost...that is rather important.

Plus the fact you almost never see anyone running any of those cheap alloy intakes. I presume there is a reason for that ?

If they have proven themselves, surely more people would be running them...or even shouting about them ?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:19 PM
8 Second Club

Paper gaskets are a bummer, but I've used those for years and years without issues on many turbo setups. Not a deal breaker for me.

The composite stuff seems to hold up ok, but I've seen more than a few develop cracks and leak too. I like the overall sturdiness and the ability to drill/tap into the alum intakes. Looks better too IMO. I go with something like that before I'd blow $500 on an LS6 intake anyway.

The hat/elbow setups tend to be pretty tall. If you want hood clearance your better off with the FI style intakes. If you've got the money the fast stuff is really nice, composite, and performs a good deal better than the options above.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 PM
9 Second Club

Given how long those intakes have been around, and the variety in general. It would be great to hear some reviews of them

Obviously you can never believe manufacturers claims about the product...as they tend to be biased

In the n/a world, are any of those intakes well proven...or even commonly used ?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Given how long those intakes have been around, and the variety in general. It would be great to hear some reviews of them

Obviously you can never believe manufacturers claims about the product...as they tend to be biased

In the n/a world, are any of those intakes well proven...or even commonly used ?
Hey just because you dont read it on tech doesnt mean people arent running them. You act like nobody uses them because they arent any good.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Did I say it makes a major difference ? Nope.

There is no question aluminium will heat soak more than composite. That's simple physics. it conducts heat far better...you cannot argue with that.

Did I mention anything about airflow through the intake ? Nope.

Airflow will be fast, less heat will be imparted to the air via composite than aluminium. That is once again physics.

Will it be a huge amount ? probably not. Carb intakes would fall into a similar area, although they'd have slightly less surface area overall.
You dont need to tell me what fact is because, I never said anything was fact in my post.
And there is no question the alloy linked above one does use shitty gaskets. With boost...that is rather important.

Plus the fact you almost never see anyone running any of those cheap alloy intakes. I presume there is a reason for that ?

If they have proven themselves, surely more people would be running them...or even shouting about them ?
LOL. No need for you to school me on what you think fact is, concerning physics. Why do you think you are qualified to say what fact is concerning physics? Any good degrees on physics? Just wondering. I didnt say anything was fact in my post.

Last edited by S10LSa; 06-10-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:36 PM
9 Second Club

Hey just because you dont read it on tech doesnt mean people arent running them. You act like nobody uses them because they arent any good.
I asked the question is anyone running them ? Are they any good ?

When something works great, people do tend to shout about them do they not ? Certainly companies selling them would shout about them.

Found this old article, although hard to read as scans are poor resolution.

http://www.tpis.com/pages/2_17_06
Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 PM
9 Second Club

LOL. No need for you to school me on what you think fact is, concerning physics. Why do you think you are qualified to say what fact is concerning physics? Any good degrees on physics? Just wondering. I didnt say anything was fact in my post.
You dont need a degree to know very basic stuff.

Hell I know people with various qualifications...and they're still thick as *****. Bits of paper mean very little.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

Whilst it would probably blow into lots of pieces under boost...

Something like this actually looks quite interesting. Nice runners and lots of plenum volume

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/va...or-ls-engines/
Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 PM
8 Second Club

Whilst it would probably blow into lots of pieces under boost...

Something like this actually looks quite interesting. Nice runners and lots of plenum volume

http://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/va...or-ls-engines/
Ha! thats awesome! Looks like it was done on one of those 3D printers. I'd need a 10" cowl to fit the bastard but I'd rock it. It's probably eleventybillion dollars though.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold suggestions