Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

2002 Firehawk Huron Speed Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dzel
Superman I'm looking into buying this kit from a guy in town. But I'm leaning towards the CXRacing kit. I was wondering what truck manifolds would I need if I buy the Huron, I have a couple of 5.3's I can grab are those the ones?. I'll also need to grab the oil lines, blanket, wrap, and boost leash boost controller.
OEM Exhaust Manifolds from a 99-07 GM Truck with the 5.3l or 6.0l

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 06-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you sir!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kmspeedie
i have the v1 a/c kit..just ran on 12lbs and meth with stock ls1 and made 565rwhp..so 550 will not happen on 7lbs...but i also run the derali pusher fans which work great..i have the same exact turbo except .96 a/r which your 1.15 wont put u any ahead a .96 as with a 5.7 or 5.3.but anyways the kit is amazing and youll love it!!
I made 550 RWHP & RWTQ on the dot with the HSP V1 on a stock LS1, 7psi and 93 pump gas and no meth. Was done on a Mustang dyno as well. So it is entirely possible!

And to OP, as Kmspeedie and others here have said, it is an amazing kit! GL with your build!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JetMech99
I made 550 RWHP & RWTQ on the dot with the HSP V1 on a stock LS1, 7psi and 93 pump gas and no meth. Was done on a Mustang dyno as well. So it is entirely possible!

And to OP, as Kmspeedie and others here have said, it is an amazing kit! GL with your build!
What turbo were you running when you made those numbers? Its results like that, that make me think 550-560 on wastegate with a larger turbo and e85 should be doable.

And you are absolutely right about the kit. Everything looks great thus far. Welds look very nice and smooth. I haven't been able to install anything just yet so I will reserve comment on fitment for that but I am not worried about anything. Plus Jon has been great to work with and has gone above and beyond to get questions and concerns answered in a very timely manner.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No offense at all, but if I decide to go turbo, anything less than 700 is going to be a waste in my eyes. If tuned right, the stock short block can make that nuch power live. Why go turbo to only make 500-550?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
No offense at all, but if I decide to go turbo, anything less than 700 is going to be a waste in my eyes. If tuned right, the stock short block can make that nuch power live. Why go turbo to only make 500-550?
Agreed.. cam and 150 shot will make 550rwhp and more tq probably.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I fully plan on upping the boost as soon as possible, I just don't have a boost controller to do so yet. Plus I am doing my own tuning on the setup and have never tuned a turbo car before so I will be learning as I go. Over the winter I plan to do a 5.3 or 4.8 with forged rods and pistons and a second Walbro 450 intank plus new lines and such. Right now I just want to get the car going and iron out the problems as they come up. I'm sure a boost controller and more boost will happen very soon after the car is running though.

I am just curious where the car will be initially on the wastegate pressure. I have a friend in a 408 camaro I need to beat.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by djfury05

Agreed.. cam and 150 shot will make 550rwhp and more tq probably.
Yep. Just seems like a lot of work for only that much power. When I think of a turbo LSx, I think of 700+ hp.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd

I fully plan on upping the boost as soon as possible, I just don't have a boost controller to do so yet. Plus I am doing my own tuning on the setup and have never tuned a turbo car before so I will be learning as I go. Over the winter I plan to do a 5.3 or 4.8 with forged rods and pistons and a second Walbro 450 intank plus new lines and such. Right now I just want to get the car going and iron out the problems as they come up. I'm sure a boost controller and more boost will happen very soon after the car is running though.

I am just curious where the car will be initially on the wastegate pressure. I have a friend in a 408 camaro I need to beat.
Well in that case, good luck with everything. You are doing it smart by creeping the boost up while learning to tune it.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

At the end of the day, hp and tq numbers are exactly that, numbers.

This thing should spool quickly and be a boatload of fun on the street. I plan on doing my motor similar to OP and learn as I go. Not everyone is after 700 rwhp out of the gate, especially coming from NA LS1 cars that have half that much power.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula

At the end of the day, hp and tq numbers are exactly that, numbers.

This thing should spool quickly and be a boatload of fun on the street. I plan on doing my motor similar to OP and learn as I go. Not everyone is after 700 rwhp out of the gate, especially coming from NA LS1 cars that have half that much power.
My point is that 450-500 hp NA is going to be a lot more fun than 500-550 with a turbo. If your end game is 550 hp with a turbo, to me, that's a waste of time and you should just go heads/cam/intake. Again, just my opinion.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep. Just seems like a lot of work for only that much power. When I think of a turbo LSx, I think of 700+ hp.
Trust me, I want to start out there but I would rather creep my way up first lol.

Well in that case, good luck with everything. You are doing it smart by creeping the boost up while learning to tune it.
Believe it or not, my original intent was to spend less than a good heads and cam setup for a complete turbo kit. I figured by the time I added in all the gaskets and bolts and oil pump and everything to do a good quality h/c setup, I would be money ahead to go boost instead.

Then project scope creep kicked in and the "while I'm here I may as well" mindset took over lol.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love seeing Mod'ed firehawks!!! maybe she'll make an appearance at our milestone 20th Anniversary Firehawk Rally in Norwalk,Oh in conjunction with the Ames Pontiac Nationals the 1st weekend of August !!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawk584
I love seeing Mod'ed firehawks!!! maybe she'll make an appearance at our milestone 20th Anniversary Firehawk Rally in Norwalk,Oh in conjunction with the Ames Pontiac Nationals the 1st weekend of August !!!!
Unfortunately I won't be making it. I am fairly certain the car won't be done by then and I for sure couldn't get time away from work even though I need it lol.

I would love to make it next year though
Old 06-24-2014, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its starting to sound like those fans may be overkill (not a bad thing) but that basically any 2000+cfm fan setup should work.

I'm glad you found this thread though. I have read through your build a thousand times and its been a big inspiration for my build. I hope you don't mind questions as this progresses.

I think I will start out with the Flex-a-Lite 440s and hope for the best.

Thanks! I don't mind at all.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:04 PM
Launching!

What turbo were you running when you made those numbers? Its results like that, that make me think 550-560 on wastegate with a larger turbo and e85 should be doable.

And you are absolutely right about the kit. Everything looks great thus far. Welds look very nice and smooth. I haven't been able to install anything just yet so I will reserve comment on fitment for that but I am not worried about anything. Plus Jon has been great to work with and has gone above and beyond to get questions and concerns answered in a very timely manner.
The turbo is a Turbonetics TC-76. Tuner said it was tuned at "just under 7 PSI" to quote him exactly. The thing is, I just installed a boost gauge for the first time over the weekend. Today was the first dry day that I could make a pull and the gauge is reading 10 PSI, creeping to 11 or 12 at redline. Not sure if it's the difference in load dyno vs. street or what, but it's definately not running at 7 PSI currently lol.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:11 PM
H8R
Staging Lane

It could certainly be the variation in dyno vs street.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The turbo is a Turbonetics TC-76. Tuner said it was tuned at "just under 7 PSI" to quote him exactly. The thing is, I just installed a boost gauge for the first time over the weekend. Today was the first dry day that I could make a pull and the gauge is reading 10 PSI, creeping to 11 or 12 at redline. Not sure if it's the difference in load dyno vs. street or what, but it's definately not running at 7 PSI currently lol.
I wondered if there was a little creep or not. I know I won't be too broken hearted if it doesn't make the power I want on 7lbs. It'll just make me buy the boost controller faster.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Yes, the "version 1" of these kits is known to boost creep a bit due to the wastegate location. I have absolutely no doubt you can make your goal especially on E85, you have the right parts to get there, now it's all up to the tune! Good luck to you man, I'll be watching your thread!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the "version 1" of these kits is known to boost creep a bit due to the wastegate location. I have absolutely no doubt you can make your goal especially on E85, you have the right parts to get there, now it's all up to the tune! Good luck to you man, I'll be watching your thread!
Mine is the v1 kit as well but it has a 44mm flange welded on for the gate instead of the stock 2 bolt 38 (?) flange. I am hoping it will control the boost alright. If it creeps some I am ok with that, I just don't want any huge spikes or anything.

Progress will be slow because I am hoping to be moving within the next month or so and the car should be back under the same roof as me so progress can happen daily. I have literally almost every part needed for the build. Just need to assemble it all.

Quick Reply: 2002 Firehawk Huron Speed Build