Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo car overheating odd scenario.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo car overheating odd scenario.

OK so I just got done driving the car had it dyno tuned and all. Car does not overheat at idle or on highway or even on dyno. But when I drive around 25-30mph it over heats then when I shut the car off it just continues to climb.

Set up is
-custom Griffin (same dimensions as one everyone uses just dual pass)
-2710cfm pusher fans
-green coolant (been running it since I was NA)
-stock t stat

Should I take the time stat completely out? I find it odd it only over heats when moving around 25-30 but no other time even at idle.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump for suggestions
Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 PM
tc3
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap out tstat
Old 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try to change the thermostat or drill a 1/4" whole in the one that's in there now. If you take it all the way out sometimes the coolant will pass through the radiator so fast it won't have time to cool and make your overheating issue worse
Old 07-21-2014, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm gonna try a 160 t stat and putting the air dam back on and see if it fixes it.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

the heating up after you turn it off is normal should climb around 15 * or so . the heat is still coming out of the block but the water stopped circulating.

if your car is a 2nd gen Camaro the spoiler will help .
Old 07-22-2014, 06:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 703 CAMAROSS
OK so I just got done driving the car had it dyno tuned and all. Car does not overheat at idle or on highway or even on dyno. But when I drive around 25-30mph it over heats then when I shut the car off it just continues to climb.

Set up is
-custom Griffin (same dimensions as one everyone uses just dual pass)
-2710cfm pusher fans
-green coolant (been running it since I was NA)
-stock t stat

Should I take the time stat completely out? I find it odd it only over heats when moving around 25-30 but no other time even at idle.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- Staying cool on the highway means there is enough airflow through the rad to keep the motor cool
- On the dyno, there are large fans blowing to move air through the rad to keep it cool
- Idling may not have much air through the rad, but the motor isn't generating as much heat as it isn't under load (and probably idling in cool areas)

So the rad is insufficient and needs the fans (which aren't as efficient as they are setup as a pusher). You need more airflow through the rad at low speeds, especially in hotter ambient temps.

The first thing I would do is make sure the fans are coming on at low driving speeds, and have the fans come on at an earlier temp. Make sure the rad is shrouded properly in front of it, as the spoiler will help force air into it rather than around it. Changing the thermostat may have little benefit - once the stat reaches temp, it's open anyway, however, a 160 wouldn't hurt to keep away from heatsoak. In your case heatsoak is bad because your fans can't cool it down once it hits that point. Though I don't know what it looks like on the other side of your rad. Is everything wrapped? Is there enough space behind the rad so the air can get through (and not hit a wall)?

Your cooling system should work that no matter how hot the car is getting, the fans at high speed will cool it down to your required operating temps. If this isn't possible, you have to make all the adjustments necessary to keep temps from climbing.

Last edited by hardbodeez; 07-22-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I put the 160 t stat in and air dam back on. Drove the car for 20 min through town and no overheating as of now. I think I may out a turbo blanket on also as the turbo is close to the radiator. But the fans don't stay on when the car is shut off and causing the temps to climb. Factory fans continue to run when the car is shut off until it goes back down to normal correct?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

airdamn makes a hell of a difference when the car is in motion

Quick Reply: Turbo car overheating odd scenario.