Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6l80e reliablility boosted application

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6l80e reliablility boosted application

Im in the process of upgrading my 5.7 lt to a L77, i have acces to a cheap 6l80e, been toying with the idea of using this instead of my r151 manual, 4wd application) build threadhttps://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...onversion.html

who has a stock 6l80e behind boosted motor, pros and cons, any info appreciated. Gus
Old 08-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the stock 6L80E in my GrandSport with an ECS kit, Long Tubes, Alky Control Meth injection. Made 612 in the heat - this past 4th of July

2 things that have been done to my transmission are a GOOD TUNE and an external Transmission cooler with a fan.
The tune is said to be the most vital part of the equation with 6L80E units - I offer that a good cooler is a close second!
No matter though, I wouldn't advise looking for reliability past the 625 rear wheel power point without a performance build - and there aren't many places building them.
Whats the chance of a 6L90E fitting your build? Said to be a lot stronger than the 80e, if you must have a 6 speed auto.
Good Luck.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex in Houston
I have the stock 6L80E in my GrandSport with an ECS kit, Long Tubes, Alky Control Meth injection. Made 612 in the heat - this past 4th of July

2 things that have been done to my transmission are a GOOD TUNE and an external Transmission cooler with a fan.
The tune is said to be the most vital part of the equation with 6L80E units - I offer that a good cooler is a close second!
No matter though, I wouldn't advise looking for reliability past the 625 rear wheel power point without a performance build - and there aren't many places building them.
Whats the chance of a 6L90E fitting your build? Said to be a lot stronger than the 80e, if you must have a 6 speed auto.
Good Luck.
truth be known it very well may be a 6l90e that i have, i've spent a few hours searching and cant find an easy way of telling the difference. i have 3 options i have a 4l80, a converted r151 (toyota 5speed) manual or this six speed, its good to see someone else using one, i like the idea i can wire it up for paddle shift. and i can get a transfer to bolt straight up.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 90e is about 3/4" longer on the front side of the tranny - hard to tell just by looking at the pan like you could between a 4L80 - 4L65.
Truth be told, I hardly ever tap the paddles - like almost never. I mostly shift to S and depress the loud pedal to get forward thrust. I could not care any less about "rowing gears" in a damn car ever again this life time.
If you've got the 4L80 - and the only reason you want the 6L80 is for paddle shifting - run the 4L80. If you just must row gears throw the manual in there
My $.02
Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

62naldie was pushing over 700rwhp on his boosted crew cab denali through a 6L80e.

Quick Reply: 6l80e reliablility boosted application