Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Planning out my winter 5.3 Turbo build.... am I on the right track?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Planning out my winter 5.3 Turbo build.... am I on the right track?

Hey guys! I'm looking to put a 5.3 together over winter as a "budget build" and I have a few ideas of what I want to do, but you guys would know a LOT more than I do at this point. Any and all advice is appreciated!

My basic plan is to do a 5.3 with a single turbo along with a 4L80e (not scared of a small shot of nitrous on top either ) and since I live in the great state of Nebraska, it will be running on e85. I don't really have a set HP goal, but I would like it to be in the neighborhood of 1,000hp if possible. This is what I have so far in my head.....

Junkyard 5.3 (LM7)
ARP rod bolts, main studs, and head studs
LS9 head gaskets
243 Ported Heads with upgraded valve springs
Single Borg Warner S475 Turbo off truck manifolds
4L80e transmission

I'm open to your suggestions on everything else..... actually I'm open to suggestions on everything all together since you guys know what works best together.

Intake? I was thinking an LS6 or FAST intake.... but I've seen a lot of turbo guys running Vic Jr. intakes with a 90. Also that Holley EFI High rise intake looks awesome, but no idea if it's any good for turbo cars

Camshaft? Honestly don't have any ideas on a camshaft yet. I was hoping some of you guys could tell me what cams run well for a turbo LSx.

Injectors? How big do I need to go? Remember, this will be running on E85.

Fuel pumps? Your best suggestion on what I'll need

I'm sure I'm missing SEVERAL things here, but this is what I have off the top of my head at 3:30am haha. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! Tell me what I'm missing and what you would suggest. I'm here to learn

Thanks,
Fred
Old 08-20-2014, 05:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FredWhiteAndBlue
Hey guys! I'm looking to put a 5.3 together over winter as a "budget build" and I have a few ideas of what I want to do, but you guys would know a LOT more than I do at this point. Any and all advice is appreciated!

My basic plan is to do a 5.3 with a single turbo along with a 4L80e (not scared of a small shot of nitrous on top either ) and since I live in the great state of Nebraska, it will be running on e85. I don't really have a set HP goal, but I would like it to be in the neighborhood of 1,000hp if possible. This is what I have so far in my head.....

Junkyard 5.3 (LM7)
ARP rod bolts, main studs, and head studs
LS9 head gaskets
243 Ported Heads with upgraded valve springs
Single Borg Warner S475 Turbo off truck manifolds
4L80e transmission

I'm open to your suggestions on everything else..... actually I'm open to suggestions on everything all together since you guys know what works best together.

Intake? I was thinking an LS6 or FAST intake.... but I've seen a lot of turbo guys running Vic Jr. intakes with a 90. Also that Holley EFI High rise intake looks awesome, but no idea if it's any good for turbo cars

Camshaft? Honestly don't have any ideas on a camshaft yet. I was hoping some of you guys could tell me what cams run well for a turbo LSx.

Injectors? How big do I need to go? Remember, this will be running on E85.

Fuel pumps? Your best suggestion on what I'll need

I'm sure I'm missing SEVERAL things here, but this is what I have off the top of my head at 3:30am haha. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! Tell me what I'm missing and what you would suggest. I'm here to learn

Thanks,
Fred
All of these questions could have been answered by searching just a little. But, that's ok. I can't answer all the questions because I'm just looking for around 650 on my build. First of all, budget and 1,000hp don't belong in same sentence.

As far as camshaft goes, I ordered line through Martin at Tick. Honestly the best customer service I have ever had. One of the most knowledgeable people in his field of work.

As for the fuel system, I'm lost there. I don't know what changes when you swap to e85.

My understanding is the intake doesn't really matter just a whole lot on 95% of our builds. Big numbers have been made through the factory ls1. I'm sure the ls6 would be sufficient if your not looking to blow your wad on an intake.

Quick Reply: Planning out my winter 5.3 Turbo build.... am I on the right track?