Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is this normal (LSA TVS1900 question)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal (LSA TVS1900 question)?

My CTS-V has a supercharger-related rattle; it's not the marbles-in-a-can thing, mine's a 2014 with the factory solid coupling.

There's some lash/play in the drive - it's not much in terms of angular displacement, but it's enough to make noise when you twist the pulley back and forth...is this typical?

Video
Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There shouldn't be play when a bearing is involved .
Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Teching In

I don't understand.

There will always be play in gearsets, the teeth can't mesh perfectly. It can be close enough to be imperceptible, which clearly is not the case here. I wondered if all 1900s are like this, or is mine just at the loose end of tolerance stack?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Thats a perfect example of a shot coupler. Bearings are fine. The gearset is precision machined, you will not feel the miniscule slop in the mesh, esp not a SC that new

To fix that you need a bottle of SC oil and the coupler which is $30 off ebay. Wear thick dishwasher gloves because you dont want that oil on your skin, you will smell like a port-a-john. Its a simple R&R, OEM couplers are often spring loaded dampers which develop play quickly
Old 09-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Teching In

It's not the coupler. I'm pretty sure it's not bearings, but I can't say that with total confidence. Although I think if the bearings were bad I'd see rotor interference.

First of all, the TVS units are sealed - the oil's in the back, you don't have to drain when you pull the snout.

Second, this coupler is perfect. It's sitting on my desk right now. There was no play in its fit. I put an LPE coupler on and got the exact same results.

The only thing left is slop in the gearset.

GM has now put out a PIP on this, FWIW, and of course..."it's normal".
Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Easy way to know for sure is to pull the snout off and wobble the gears back and fourth. Rotors are machined with extreme tolerance. If the gearset was out even slightly, rotor wear would be obvious

Bearings sound horrible with the engine running and have a "dragging" feel when spinning the unit by hand. They do not give slop like that, doesnt matter how shot they are. Besides, they're good for 10+ years of service. Your 2014 unit isnt even broken in

The only thing that can cause slop like that is the coupler, GM and Ford's Eaton based SCs all use a spring loaded coupler that feels sloppy like that quickly. The "normal" designation is not unique to LSA owners
Old 10-02-2014, 05:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pocket
GM and Ford's Eaton based SCs all use a spring loaded coupler that feels sloppy like that quickly. The "normal" designation is not unique to LSA owners
LSAs made since late 2013 don't have the spring coupler. They changed to solid.

GM also released a bulletin explaining that:
  • They would replace LSA superchargers on 2009-2013 cars with the 'marbles' rattle;
  • The reason was the old spring coupler would cause wear which could contaminate the bearings, and;
  • The new unit (used on all 2014MY cars) has a solid coupler which might cause the new noise I'm experiencing - but only on manual cars.

So, indirectly, my answer seems to be 'yes', the slop in my clip is normal.

Quick Reply: Is this normal (LSA TVS1900 question)?