Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Blow-off valve location

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blow-off valve location

Does the blow-off valve location matter in relation to the throttle body?
Or should it be mounted in a turn in-line with airflow?
I have space to put it right by the throttle body or off in the drivers fenderwell out of the way after the intercooler. Which location is better?
Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

having one anywhere on the boost side is better than not having one at all.

if you are running mass air it would be preferred to not purge out measured air, so depending on where you choose to put the mass air (if ahead of compressor) you may need recirculating type.

assuming you are talking turbo application i like to put mine at the throttle body. that is where the pressure spike originates (when you shut the throttle) so for me it is the best place to end it.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also one thing I found out on mine, is that, I have mine on the bend right previous to where it turns in to the throttle body, and I had issues with blowing off the charge pipe off of the compressor, because that portion of pipe between the compressor discharge, and the intercooler, is FAR away from the blow off valve, not to mention pre-intercooler. So it would get some pretty high pressures in there and blow it off. I have since Vbanded by compressor discharge, but in the future I might run an additional BOV pre-intercooler.

EDIT: You can see where my BOV is in my sig pic.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

if your bov has two ports, use them for quicker acutation
Old 10-07-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

to me the best location is before the intercooler , Why do you want to send more hot air through the intercooler . If you have it before thats less that can heat up the intercooler .

Thats how procharger mounts it for their 98-02 f body kit , right before the intercooler.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats why i specified turbo application.

for supercharged you really need a bypass more than you need a bov. for bypass you want ahead of intercooler. can still have a bov as well, and it should be at the tb.

two different parts with only slightly overlapping functions
Old 10-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
to me the best location is before the intercooler , Why do you want to send more hot air through the intercooler . If you have it before thats less that can heat up the intercooler .

Thats how procharger mounts it for their 98-02 f body kit , right before the intercooler.
Bov is just there to relieve the pressure so it doesn't go back to the turbo and stall it.

Placement doesn't necessarily matter I suppose as long as it's not to close to the turbo.

However I always put it as close to the tb as possible as that's where the pressure starts and I'm thinking it's easier for the air to vent there. And will prevent any spike to occur and risk blowing of some pipes ?

But air does travel in path of least resistance so again placement may not matter.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:10 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

actually...placement DOES Matter...
you want it as close to the TB as possible...but atleast 6-12 inches away from it
if you are using the MAF, you have to put it before the MAF, and about 12 inches away from it to help prevent the reversions you get when it releases all the pressure

with a BOV...bigger is ALWAYS better
you are trying to relieve as much pressure as you can to save the life of the turbo/supercharger...and in the case of a supercharger with a cog setup, it also keeps you from breaking belts with the sudden rpm change that happens when you cant get rid of the pressure and it force stops the blower by the engine is still spinning..
Old 10-09-2014, 05:36 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was talking to Jose at FI he said as close to the turbo as possible.

Quick Reply: Blow-off valve location