Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The RICE ETER Special... Almost done

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I thought stock fans are 2800-3000 ish?

How come nobody ever uses shorty headers?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always thought that the 02 up stock manifolds flowed just as well as a set of shortys. The other up side with a turbo would be if the manifolds are cast iron they'll retain heat better for exhaust velocity.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a pair of Hooker shorties if someone wants to try... I was going to cut them up for the flanges, but picked up new GM flanges instead..

Personally I'd wager the 2002 manifolds to flow BETTER than these shorties.. They look like spaghetti...
Old 05-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No prob Chris... I located some... thanks

Jim, I put the cardboard on there to protect the core... as mentioned from welding spatter and just misc crap that could fall on it or from me holding it up in the air when i was mounting it. lol... there were quite a few times I felt like jamming a screw driver through it though

I didn't use a shorty header because these two were free.... they have made 1150 flywheel hp so i think they will flow enough for me , and there was a clearance issue with the pass. shorty header on the driver side (it's one i got with the TTi kit I bought used). And I kept seeing posts where people noticed spool up loss when they switched to the shorty..... I will just make an unequal length one later for it when i think i need an upgrade and then I will be able to run the DP over the k-member too.

Yea Brains I agree... the one I have looks like a big knot.

Well the kit is pretty much finished... and I started the car just a few minutes ago. Sounds REALLY fast he he.
I still have to weld the wastegate vent tube to the flange to direct it under the k-member, finish the cat-back, get the fans installed and put the turbo's intake/filter on... along with a little re-clocking of the turbo's compressor housing, the discharge is slightly off from when i mocked the piping up so the pipe hangs a little low. I also need to do some final cleaning/tie-strapping of some things.

So I have updated my webshots with some pics... http://community.webshots.com/user/riceetr
and the last one is of my 11.32 pass.... yea I lost and i red-lighted.... he he ah well.

Ehh Mike.... now you can see those funky welds
Old 05-27-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jarrod,

I beg to differ. I'm actually very impressed with your work. And here I thought you were just a book worm :-p hehehe J/K

Seriously, very nice welds. But I have a question. Why did you mount your FMIC horizontally when you have a camaro? I'd understand if this were a bird, but it seems odd since you have the obvious spot in the camaro. Let me know your thinking on this one.

Mike
Old 05-28-2004, 05:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
And I kept seeing posts where people noticed spool up loss when they switched to the shorty
thats strange, i noticed about a 150-200 rpm QUICKER spool time when i put my shorty on. i noticed a big difference.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Jarrod,

Very nice work welds look great and you managed to get it all to fit . I can hardly wait to see what it does after tuning at the track.

BTW, one piece of advice you may want to look into; Lose the stock torque arm, one good launch and it'll wrap nicely around your driveshaft. I have seen at least 7 450+ HP cars snap those things. I would look at one that relocates the mounting point of the tranny. When boost comes on these cars can get pretty violent
Old 05-28-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

i'll agree, thats very nice work. especially working on the floor without a lift..
Old 05-28-2004, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

hey that turbo looks familiar, looks good
Old 05-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Turbo Addict

I beg to differ. I'm actually very impressed with your work. And here I thought you were just a book worm :-p hehehe J/K
he he.... not even one of those either, I'd be smart then.
Thanks for the compliments.
I mounted the intercooler like that for a few reasons. Because of where the turbo is, I have to run pusher fans.... so that ruled out leaving the intercooler where it was. Then my next choice was a new huge one and mount it where PSJ has his.... but I didn't have the money for that. So I decided to mount it horizontally (my Incon stang was like that and it worked VERY well)... but I wanted to put it inbetween the lower rad support and the nose of the car, but I would have to notch out the fiberglass bumper as it made the turn to point back up towards the rad, and I didn't want to do that until I decide to get a custom cooler made that was larger and fit better. So the cheapest/easiest thing to do was mount the TTi one horizontally where it is. I don't think the original location provides enough airflow. I know the intercooler is a little small but it seems to well on the stangs but they get much better flow across it. So it will be interesting to compare the IAT numbers between the two locations.
I am eventually going to get another turbo, copy this alt brkt and go to a/w cooler so I can sell the TTi kit I have as complete.

thats strange, i noticed about a 150-200 rpm QUICKER spool time when i put my shorty on. i noticed a big difference.
well crap, I thought you were one of the people who posted up that you switched and it hurt performance.... must have read that wrong.. oops. Ah well it's done now, I can always buy or make a tubular piece if need be. I am gonna see how it works out now.

Thanks Paul... I appreciate it. Yea it's amazing how big these cars are and how little room there is to work with. If it wasn't for this damn rad at an angle, there would be tons of room.
A T/A is on my long list of things to get. I know it is one of my weaker links with the respect to the drivetrain. You've seen 7 cars do that? ..... damn, maybe i should move that up a little higher on that list

Thanks Dman.... yea, (I am sure you already know) what sucks about it is either you have it high enough to work from underneath, or keep it lower so you can work from the top.... right now it is just a little to low when you're under it (especially with the welder and a helmet ) and a little to high to be working from the top.... so it was pretty frustrating at times. I need a lift, an air compressor, a bench grinder, oh...and a million dollars too.

He he.... yup Chad, It's still hanging in there. I am curious to see what the spool up is like now with the same turbo. I am sure the bigger DP will make all the difference in the world by itself.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Turbo Addict

Oh.. Paul, I also have a plate I am drawing up now at work that I am going to weld to the piping just before the turbo... to support the weight of it. It will bolt right to the alt brkt using the two existing bolts on the top and the bottom and a longer center one.

edit.... I am also mocking up an Al flap to hang from the back of the intercooler to help airflow through it.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
Oh.. Paul, I also have a plate I am drawing up now at work that I am going to weld to the piping just before the turbo... to support the weight of it. It will bolt right to the alt brkt using the two existing bolts on the top and the bottom and a longer center one.

edit.... I am also mocking up an Al flap to hang from the back of the intercooler to help airflow through it.
Yeah that little trick will save you a world of hurt repairing busted and cracked manifolds, too bad nobody else thought of that as it's pretty damn easy to see . You have built yours exactly like mine and it will work great.

I'm interested in hearing more about the flap
Old 06-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Turbo Addict

Well I made up the wastegate vent tube to direct the exhaust under the car and put an air damn on the back of the intercooler..... works like a charm. With the ambient around 71 or so, just cruising at 60mph left my IAT's at 79 degrees. Of course they would go up when I got into boost. Never could get a peak in any gear because now my clutch is slipping.
So I pulled it out, the flywheel and pressure plate are pretty grooved and the disc has material smeared over the rivets as well as some missing. Everything looked to be dry so I don't know what happened. Spec has awesome customer service so I am shipping it to them to take a look at it.

Things I noticed initially, I get boost much sooner, the car feels more like N/A with respect to throttle response.... one of the first things I noticed with the old kit was how much more throttle I had to give the car to get it going from a light.

I was planning on running at MIR this past weekend and maybe dynoing but that will have to wait until I get the clutch back.

Paul, any update on your ride? I would luuuuuv some pics
Old 06-02-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jarrod,

Give me a week when I'm back in the city and I'll shoot you some pics of the new setup. The new parts are sweet , send me a PM and I'll shoot you the complete specs.

The new sleeves just arrived for the new block and it'll be going together very soon. The turbo shipped today and should arrive Monday . I only have pics of the old motor, but you don't want to see those as they are even nastier than MightyMouses' motor . Since everything is now together the whole thing is expected to come together in two weeks.

I'll post up some details later.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

any more progress to this?

have you got it running yet.

and which manafolds did you end up using? the truck (year too) or the Fbody (2002?)

Last edited by smokinHawk; 06-29-2004 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

he's away on work in vegas.
the car was dyno'd and was over 500rw at 8psi but i wasn't there. after the dyno we discovered that the elbow to the tb had ruptured, so he is working on getting another of those and a stiffer wastegate spring

both manifolds are 2000+ passenger manifolds
Old 06-29-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Nice numbers! I'm thinking of doing a similar setup. but mounting the intercooler in the nose of the car and having the manifolds both facing the back like stock then making a Y-pipe and bring it to the front of the motor.

Dave what turbo is he running? Is he still using the T66?
Old 06-29-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

yep, hasnt been rebuilt or anything since he got it.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet deal. Do you have any idea what he put down on the old kit? Just looking for an idea of how much i'll gain going to the custom kit.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

he said he didnt dyno it with the old set up, only way to tell is his trap speeds i guess

thats is dang good with a T66 turbo, sounds way more efficent then those log setups out there.

Quick Reply: The RICE ETER Special... Almost done