Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The RICE ETER Special... Almost done

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The RICE ETER Special... Almost done

Well I bought a used turbotech street kit(small log and crossover) with a T66... ran an 11.32 @120.7 with about 6-7 psi on a hot day, then was kicked out because of no rollbar.
In attempt to get around this log manifold, I wanted to see how much more power i could get with the same turbo, same intercooler and same engine/set-up with a better flowing kit... and do it as cheaply as possible. So here is my attempt at a JY/DIY turbo set-up.
I bought about $150 in tubing and have only used about 1/2 of it. The misc brkts and flanges I made .dxf's and cut them on the laser at work.

First off excuse the welding, or lack there of I guess.... I started some of the kit with flux core (YUCK!) thursday and have since finally put some gas and switched wire on my miller 115V cricket.... quite a difference from the 220v millers at work.... took me almost the whole kit to get it set where i wanted it and get used to it... plus I kinda suck at welding anyways he he.
I only had a chop saw and dremel, so the "Y" took forever and i had huge gaps to fill... so of course it looks like ****.

Anyways enough excuses... I am mounting the wastegate tomorrow, then connecting the downpipe to my existing exhaust then I will pull the hot side off, clean it up and paint it for now (if this pile works, I will get it coated), then will make the two pieces to go from the turbo to intercooler then from the cooler to the TTi intake pipe. I also still have to do alot of clean-up work on all the hose/lines/wiring... and maybe wipe that nasty rack off

I plan to replace the TTi intercooler with either the same a/w that the Turbotech race kit has and in the same location, or will put a large a/a horizontally inbetween the bottom of the rad support and the nose of the car.

So let me know what ya think, good or bad and I should have it running and updated pics tomorrow or Wed.

go here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/142404831wrWnJz

Thanks for reading the book

-Jarrod
Old 05-24-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are those just stock manifolds turned around?
thanks
ed
firebird455@onebox.com
Old 05-25-2004, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

had a hard time seeing what i was looking at, but cool, keep us updated
Old 05-25-2004, 07:09 AM
8 second mod

im with ^^
But sounds sweet. good luck. hows that alki kit work for you?
Old 05-25-2004, 07:42 AM
Turbo Addict

Yes those are two 2000 passenger side manifolds, the driver side one had to notched a little to clearthe steering knuckle. I also shimmed the motor mount stand up a little to allow for more room when the engine torques. I hope there is enough.

SmokinHawk/Noyzee.... he he yea I was a bit confused myself last night when I was going through the pics, it just looks alot more cluttered in the pics then it does to me when I am under there looking at it. Hopefully the updated ones will clear things up.

Yes I love the kit! (Thanks Steve!!) I almost bought one about 3 separate times when I had my mustang but always found an excuse not to. Before I pulled the TTi kit off, I was running about 11psi on pump gas (even in the heat of that day) with the alky coming in at 4psi, zero bogging and zero KR. I have a WB on the car but am not sure if it is safe to tune for the same afr as before without the injection. My WB only reads down to 11.0:1, below that and I just get three dashed lines. At 11psi I would be below 11.0:1 until 6000rpm's or so and then it would be at 11.0-11.2:1. At the end of a pass my IAT's would be about 160 before the injection.... ouch.

Oh, thanks Harlan for the zip-tie tube marking tip...... works like a champ

Thanks,

-Jarrod
Old 05-25-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Looks sweet man! Did you have to ditch the sway bar to fit the turbo in there or is it above that. Keep up the good info. I've been itching to finish my manifold setup but first i have to find the time.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good J. Like the others have said, it's hard to know what you're looking at from the pics, but the welds didn't look nearly as bad as you had forwarned. I wish I was there to lend a hand. So for now, it's all moral support.

Good luck bro,
Mike
Old 05-25-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

out of curiosity what was your car putting down at 11psi with the original TTi kit?

could you take some more detailed pics of the Y section, or ones that are at least clearer, sorry cant really make it out too well
thanks
ed
firebird455@onebox.com
Old 05-25-2004, 11:29 AM
Turbo Addict

MYTURBOT/A - Thanks man, no the sway bar has been off the car for awhile now, but I would hate to not be able to put it on in the future. I am pretty sure it still will fit but I am going to need some thick spacers.
I know what you mean about the time, I am not getting much sleep and my g/f is about to kill me... she was jealous of the car before... now she really hates me spending more time on it than with her

Mike - ohh there are some pretty nasty welds in there, you just can't see them in the pictures I appreciate the moral support but you really need to come down this way... that alky party is long over-due

69firebird - I never dynoed the car with the TTi kit... the only thing I can go off of is the mph... which isn't all that good, and was only with the 6-7 psi. I was having a weird boost drop problem. In the mornings going to work or whenever the car was still relatively cool (engine up to temp but not heat soaked) I could get the 10-11psi and hold it, but at the track after idling in the lanes and the burnout, boost would spike to 10-11 then fall right back to 6-7psi. I don't know of it was the deltagates 4# spring getting hot/weak.. something to that effect, or if was an air density thing (this was on the alky injection/pump gas so i don't know if that was causing any issues).
I am putting an HKS wastegate on with a stiffer spring on this kit, so with that and hopefully alot less backpressure I shouldn't have that same problem.

And I definitely will take some better pics tonight, sorry about the bad pics.

Thanks for all the input guys, keep it coming.

-Jarrod
Old 05-25-2004, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice times man...what was your 60' on that pass?
Old 05-25-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

1.7 i believe.

he needs to get on the boosted list allready.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

What are you planing on doing for cooling fans? Pushers on the front of the rad.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Turbo Addict

Thanks supersport.... but I wish I could have had one more pass with my boost holding, I think I could have run a ten... ah well. Yea close enough... it was a 1.67.. that was the first pass where my clutch slipped only slightly off the line. I might have to replace this spec 4 disc... it's got some miles on it.

MYTURBOT/A, yes I am putting two pushers infront of the rad. The stock fans would fit and I was going to reverse the polarity but I think the curved fan blade design won't make for good flow in the reverse direction.
I am thinking with two pushers, the car will run cooler than with the intercooler blocking everything like before. I might be able to squeeze a 12" fan as a puller on top of the two pushers on the passenger side... we'll see if I need it.

Well the kit is pretty much finished. I pulled it all off late last night and cleaned it, today when I get home I am going to put some paint on it and install it all... so the car should be running tonight. I found something out, pretty much common sense but I never thought about it.... this mild steel tubing I bought is aluminized... and the sulfur or whatever it is, makes for some really nasty welds. I always lightly cleaned the ends of the tubing before welding, but obviously not enough. The last few pieces I really cleaned and the welds look 10 times better. Ah well.... I'll know better next time.

Thanks,

-Jarrod
Old 05-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Turbo Addict

Also, I might end up remaking the driver side manifold so i can run the DP over the crossmember..... with my car lowered, it's going to be close.

oh.. does anyone know the CFM of the stock fans? I found one person in my tech search who said 3200. Is this right?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Go with dual highspeed spals if you can get them to fit and wire them to come on high speed.

We had to go through this with the powerdyne. (Not using stock fans)

Old 05-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Turbo Addict

Thanks Chris for the info! Do you know the diameter of the ones I need? I think I can only fit two 12" ones in there pushing.. with both of them fitting the core, or I can let some of the fans coverage overhang the tanks of the rad and fit a little larger one if I stagger them diagonally. Do you know a part number and where you got them?

Thanks again,

-Jarrod
Old 05-26-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

I dont have the part number handy but there are a couple of options available. Some of the other guys would probably have the info handy (I am away on business/vacation now till next week)

Old 05-26-2004, 01:31 PM
Teching In

RICE ETER, how come in one of the picks you have duct tape and cardboard over the intercooler?
Old 05-26-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

More flow.

Probably to avoid sticking a screwdriver thru it.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe to avoid damage while welding?

Quick Reply: The RICE ETER Special... Almost done