Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin turbo oil temps/hot idle pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Interesting test here, albeit at lower than sensible temperatures for a road car. More aimed at coolant temp than oil temp.
But from a power perspective, it's certainly clear you dont want the engine running anywhere near 200degF, nevermind over it !
And cooler engine temps will resolve any excessive oil temps too

http://onthedyno.com/GM-LS-motor/art...ine-temp-5-3l/
Old 08-04-2015, 11:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Interesting test here, albeit at lower than sensible temperatures for a road car. More aimed at coolant temp than oil temp.
But from a power perspective, it's certainly clear you dont want the engine running anywhere near 200degF, nevermind over it !
And cooler engine temps will resolve any excessive oil temps too

http://onthedyno.com/GM-LS-motor/art...ine-temp-5-3l/

Again 200* for an LS motor is not a serious problem.. could it be lower? Yes but i wouldnt worry for even a second about 200* operating temps.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:01 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 91 240
The Volvo fan relay is 30amp I believe - http://www.partsgeek.com/9g163hy-vol...ling+fan+relay

Here's an old pic of the front end with the FMIC. Only difference now is there is now a 8" gap between the inner edge of the bumper to the radiator, but otherwise unobstructed. There are gaps on both sides which is my plan to fix this week with ducting to box it in.

I find it very odd that you are having such a hard time keeping your car cool. i think you will benefit hugely from some clever ducting on the top/bottom/sides of the inter cooler and radiator. I have seen massive temp swings on the S30 chassis from this.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by oscs
Again 200* for an LS motor is not a serious problem.. could it be lower? Yes but i wouldnt worry for even a second about 200* operating temps.
Just because it wont do damage, just because you can, doesnt mean it is beneficial in any way to run so hot.

Running in the 160-170deg range has always been known to make more power, offer better resistance to detonation, and the cooler temps will help keep oil temps down.

The article does test from 165 to 130...that is a stretch though. I wouldnt want mine running as cold as that. But certainly in the 160-180deg range seems ideal.

I cant see any reason you'd want it to run hotter.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:22 PM
8 Second Club

Just because it wont do damage, just because you can, doesnt mean it is beneficial in any way to run so hot.

Running in the 160-170deg range has always been known to make more power, offer better resistance to detonation, and the cooler temps will help keep oil temps down.

The article does test from 165 to 130...that is a stretch though. I wouldnt want mine running as cold as that. But certainly in the 160-180deg range seems ideal.

I cant see any reason you'd want it to run hotter.

burning off moisture in the oil is one reason
Old 08-04-2015, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

burning off moisture in the oil is one reason
I never run at 200deg or higher, and I've never had any issue with moisture in the oil, and I live in a cooler and wetter environment where condensation is prevalent, especially in the crankcase breather.
Never has the oil exhibited any signs of an issue with water content

But yes, that is one potential reason against vs the many for running cooler temps
Old 08-04-2015, 01:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Watching the gauges on the daily bone stock C5 last night cruising home 93* ambient w/ AC on. Coolant sits at 200ish at 70.

Coolant hovers around 220-226 in stop-and-go. Oil temp was 210. High speed fan doesn't even kick on til 225.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:37 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Watching the gauges on the daily bone stock C5 last night cruising home 93* ambient w/ AC on. Coolant sits at 200ish at 70.

Coolant hovers around 220-226 in stop-and-go. Oil temp was 210. High speed fan doesn't even kick on til 225.
My buddys C5 is the same way his high speed was set at 235 i think from the factory..
Old 08-04-2015, 02:57 PM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

If it were me I'd want coolant under 200 and oil at or over 200 a bit
Old 08-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree. I worry about just cruising around with temps never dropping below 200. Just cruising, no boost pulls. Boosting would cause that to jump quickly

I find it very odd that you are having such a hard time keeping your car cool. i think you will benefit hugely from some clever ducting on the top/bottom/sides of the inter cooler and radiator. I have seen massive temp swings on the S30 chassis from this.
it's very odd. I've been chasing it for over a year. it could be multiple things that i'm trying to chase down and keep me running in circles.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:03 PM
8 Second Club

I agree. I worry about just cruising around with temps never dropping below 200. Just cruising, no boost pulls. Boosting would cause that to jump quickly

it's very odd. I've been chasing it for over a year. it could be multiple things that i'm trying to chase down and keep me running in circles.
Expansion tank and ducting/air flow promotion if you ask me
Old 08-04-2015, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

So lets get some hard facts here. I just finished up a Huron Speed V1 AC kit on my 02 SS street car/DD and noticed it runs a little hotter. I have a 160 stat in it and dual Derale's mounted to the front of my condenser. If I putt around on a 90+ degree day w/ AC blowing my temps stay just below 210 according to my factory gauge and my oil pressure is around 35ish psi at idle. If I start getting into boost frequently Ive had it over 210 maybe 215-220 and oil pressure drops to 25ish psi at idle. I'm running Valvoline 10-30 VR1 oil. Do I have an issue?
The old school hot rodder in my head wants 180 degrees but I've had numerous people tell me fuel injection requires hotter temps for better atomization. If I turn my AC off it seems to run cooler. I've had a couple other turbo guys tell me not to worry about it. OSCS, would pulling my stat be a worth while endeavor? I didn't hijack this thread did I and if I did I apologize.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

OEM swing needle gauges cannot be relied on as accurate. Often they'll display numbers to keep the driver happy even if there are large temperature changes. You need to read the data via the ecu itself whether it be tuning software, OBD type tools etc.

As for fuel injection requiring hotter temps...absolute bullshit. OEM's may tend to run hotter as it helps with emissions, and within reason can be kinder in terms of engine wear.

From a performance point of view, there is no reason at all to be running at 200deg nevermind higher.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

For the record the C5 doesn't have swing gauges. It has a digital readout that displays the same as the OBD tool.

I'm also not suggesting 225 is where you want to be before a big power pull. Just that isn't harmful in anyway cruising around town IMO.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:27 PM
8 Second Club

Default Twin turbo oil temps/hot idle pressure

Originally Posted by The ******
So lets get some hard facts here. I just finished up a Huron Speed V1 AC kit on my 02 SS street car/DD and noticed it runs a little hotter. I have a 160 stat in it and dual Derale's mounted to the front of my condenser. If I putt around on a 90+ degree day w/ AC blowing my temps stay just below 210 according to my factory gauge and my oil pressure is around 35ish psi at idle. If I start getting into boost frequently Ive had it over 210 maybe 215-220 and oil pressure drops to 25ish psi at idle. I'm running Valvoline 10-30 VR1 oil. Do I have an issue?
The old school hot rodder in my head wants 180 degrees but I've had numerous people tell me fuel injection requires hotter temps for better atomization. If I turn my AC off it seems to run cooler. I've had a couple other turbo guys tell me not to worry about it. OSCS, would pulling my stat be a worth while endeavor? I didn't hijack this thread did I and if I did I apologize.

I think yanking the thermostat in the summer might be worth a shot in your case. Just don't forget to plug the bypass port. Honestly though I don't think you have an issue at all..
Old 08-04-2015, 07:29 PM
8 Second Club

Default Twin turbo oil temps/hot idle pressure

OEM swing needle gauges cannot be relied on as accurate. Often they'll display numbers to keep the driver happy even if there are large temperature changes. You need to read the data via the ecu itself whether it be tuning software, OBD type tools etc.

As for fuel injection requiring hotter temps...absolute bullshit. OEM's may tend to run hotter as it helps with emissions, and within reason can be kinder in terms of engine wear.

From a performance point of view, there is no reason at all to be running at 200deg nevermind higher.

I agree that the higher temps have nothing to do with with EFI atomization and emissions is likely the cause for higher factory operating temps. I also agree that 180-200* is the sweet spot but see no issues running around town at 200* or a little higher
Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 497 Likes on 384 Posts

Hey guys, I'm glad you all recommended the OBD II port! I just remembered that I have my hand held scanner I've been using to tune with. So I jammed outside and plugged it in and started the car and let it get up to temp. Holy ****. I was waaaay off, turns out what I thought was 200* was actually 175*!!!! I feel waay better now, I know the oil pressure will drop if I'm hammering on it a lot so I'll start collecting parts for an oil cooler this winter but man do I feel better about the CT and I can't believe how far off my factory gauge is. The needle was right next to the 210 hash mark so naturally I figured it had to be close to 200*. SMH.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Launching!

Not trying to take away from oscs's post, but I got to do some driving this weekend and took some temp readings.

yesterday was about mid 90's here in Texas. 95% of the time was cruising with a little WOT boost tuning. 3-4 30 minute drives with stops in between

Coolant temps were consistently between 195-205* verified with stock ECT sensor in driver side head using HP Tuners

Oil temps stayed between 240-250* using an Autometer phantom OT gauge with the sensor mounted in the block off plate right above the oil filter on a GTO pan. I'm using Valvoline VR1 20-50 oil

Just posting what I found on my setup
Old 08-31-2015, 10:27 AM
9 Second Club

Not trying to take away from oscs's post, but I got to do some driving this weekend and took some temp readings.

yesterday was about mid 90's here in Texas. 95% of the time was cruising with a little WOT boost tuning. 3-4 30 minute drives with stops in between

Coolant temps were consistently between 195-205* verified with stock ECT sensor in driver side head using HP Tuners

Oil temps stayed between 240-250* using an Autometer phantom OT gauge with the sensor mounted in the block off plate right above the oil filter on a GTO pan. I'm using Valvoline VR1 20-50 oil

Just posting what I found on my setup
If you're just cruising, no real load on the engine when you took those results, that is very odd for the oil to be so much hotter than the coolant temps.

Do both temperature readings read the same amount after the engine has been off for several hours ? ie an ambient reading.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:40 AM
Launching!

If you're just cruising, no real load on the engine when you took those results, that is very odd for the oil to be so much hotter than the coolant temps.

Do both temperature readings read the same amount after the engine has been off for several hours ? ie an ambient reading.
I thought this was a little too hot just from driving around, and not beating on it like a track event.

you know, I didn't get a chance to go back and check the temps after it sat for a period of time. i'll try and look for that again later this week.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo oil temps/hot idle pressure