Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ9 CTS V Supercharger questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 02:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ9 CTS V Supercharger questions

So I have a Rebuilt LQ9 with a carb intake and no EFI gear right now...

Is it possible to install a CTS V Supercharger onto a LQ9 if I switch to EFi?

If so What would I need besides throttle body, Harness, ECU and injectors, which accessory drive would be needed and could I fit it In a 72 El Camino/Chevelle?

Also would it work fine with a LS6 cam or would I need to do a cam swap and would it be compatible with 317 heads?

Also is there a real issue with them shy of "annoying noise" and is it really that bad on a old school muscle car, or just annoying on a high end luxury car?

And last but not least what kind of power do you think I'd make with a LQ9 with appropriate mods to make it work right?

Thanks yall
Attached Thumbnails LQ9 CTS V Supercharger questions-image.jpg  
Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking for the same info on LY6. It appears that the CTS-V runs on the Vet spacing so your crank pulley/water pump/Acc drive is 1.5" out to far. Not sure if somebody makes a kit to modify supercharger.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

Possible? Absolutely. Practical? Maybe not so much.

In addition to sourcing all the proper accessories/drives, you'll need a set of square port heads. LS3, LSA, or LS9. I think some of the later model trucks have square port heads too, but don't know the names of those particular motors.

It will work fine with the LS6 cam if that's what you have on hand and don't want to drop any coin on a custom grind. I'd want something a little bigger and more mission specific if the funds are available.

My daily driver work truck has a TVS blower. Weekend toy has one too. I can barely hear either one. At full boost, the exhaust drowns the blower noise out. At cruise, you might hear a slight "whir", but that's about it. Annoying? You'd have to be one really sensitive SOB to see it that way.

I've never had my truck on a dyno. My Vette makes 650 at the wheels. That was with a lot of belt slip on a hot/humid day.

If you have lots of patience/time and the blower was extremely cheap, it might be something to consider. Otherwise, find you a used TVS1900 or 2300 kit and start with all the right stuff. They're not too hard to find in the used market already set up for catty port heads.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need ls3 heads. Ports on the blower are different.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:12 PM
wrp
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with old motorhead. I ran both 2.3 Harrop SC and 4.0 Liter Whipple on my LQ9 at different times. I really enjoyed the Harrop. The whipple was awesome but problematic. Consider twin turbos?

Quick Reply: LQ9 CTS V Supercharger questions