Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Cast iron manifolds for a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Cast iron manifolds for a turbo?

i am piecing a single turbo LS1 for a datsun 280z hybrid swap and was wondering if I could use corvette, or Fbody factory manifolds to plumb the turbo in up front? My goal is 700 to the wheels,using a gt40 or gt42, (preferrably ball bearing) and will these factory manifolds support that HP level? I would love to make a set of headers, but if I can use readily avialable and very inexpensive mass produced parts, it will make the job much easier, to do and to replace if it breaks.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That should work without problems. I have ran the truck manifolds to 1150 hp on a engine dyno. The Corvette manifold should be a better flowing part but I have not tried it "yet".
It is a good alternative to expensive headers. We have built two turbo trucks with stock manifolds with good results although I have put less than 5000 miles on them at this time.
Kurt
Originally Posted by cdk4219
i am piecing a single turbo LS1 for a datsun 280z hybrid swap and was wondering if I could use corvette, or Fbody factory manifolds to plumb the turbo in up front? My goal is 700 to the wheels,using a gt40 or gt42, (preferrably ball bearing) and will these factory manifolds support that HP level? I would love to make a set of headers, but if I can use readily avialable and very inexpensive mass produced parts, it will make the job much easier, to do and to replace if it breaks.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Yea I thought it might be the more cost effective way to fabricate the kit. Are truck manifolds much different than the F body ones?
Old 05-30-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you take any manifold and flip it updside down to mount a turbo in front of the motor?? I remember seeing the 1150hp motor with 6.0 liter manifolds fliped upside down.

Quick Reply: Cast iron manifolds for a turbo?