Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boosted LSx Block

Old 02-24-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boosted LSx Block

Sorry if this in the wrong section, I have been away for quite some time now.

I have been kicking around the idea of buying a roller and doing a big turbo build. I'm thinking 20+ on maybe a big 102mm+/- turbo. Nothing is been decided on except on these items:
1. Pissing people off lol
2. It going in a 4th gen TA
3. Boosted
4. Gutting everything
5. Small tire car.
6. Lots-O-Power
7. Trailered

I still can't decide on a block for this. I have thought of using a LQ block and going darton sleeves and running a 427. But my concern is, 4-bolt mains. Will I be able to obtain my goal of "fingers crossed" 1200+RWHP??

My other debate is going to be the drive line. I'd like to plan around the surface being the ever so dreamed of, Sticky as all get out, like if you don't have a wheelie bar that **** is flipping haha so should I look at a 9" or is there better?

Fuel, what do you gentlemen/ladies use? I have heard C16 is great for high HP high boost cars. Any opinions?

What kind of system do you guys use? For example are you guys still using the 99-02 PCM and harness or are you doing stand alone systems.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Formula hatch+lexan might save you some more weight
Also lqs as lsxs are 6 bolts, 4 on top 2 on the sides, the biggest concern would be the 4 bolt heads
Old 02-24-2015, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IronBlocked
Formula hatch+lexan might save you some more weight
Also I thought lqs as lsxs are 6 bolts, 2 on top 2 on the sides, the biggest concern would be the 4 bolt heads
You know I was just thinking that, if I do recall the mains are 4 bolts plus 2 on the side. I can't math today lol

I have kicked around the idea of going with the formula body style, it would save me money buying a busted V6 model. I'm new to the lexan stuff as well as plexi -if that's even used-

The heads was something that I'm scared of. I have read concerns of head lift and pre detonation. I have a feeling that I am going to have to go with the 6bolt head block. Or should I start changing plans on a 427 and move to a big block setup?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Launching!

I'm looking at building a BowTie block with twin billet 75's, the 6-bolt heads is what made the decision for me. Along with the fact that they were designed for power-adders, unlike the 6.0 iron block. Sub'd!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meth Sled
I'm looking at building a BowTie block with twin billet 75's, the 6-bolt heads is what made the decision for me. Along with the fact that they were designed for power-adders, unlike the 6.0 iron block. Sub'd!

I did look at the LSX big block 454 but I have no idea how they handle under boost. I know with a 4.125" stroke you tend to play with fire with the wrist pin below the sleeve and I'm not even sure how readably available those 454 blocks are. I'd hate to toast something during a season a d be out. Unlike the LSX small block counterparts are a dime a dozen for some of them, like 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, and the 6.0's haven't seen to many in my area larger then that. Not for a pretty penny so to speak. I originally thought of staying with a 10 bolt for its lightness but it would be an anormous money pit and I do t even think it could handle a launch with 600 ponies and maybe 600+ trq lol

I'm loving the feed back guys!
Old 02-25-2015, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

The LSX 454 is not a big block its the same LSX block they build the 376-427's out of they just change the bore/stroke and its not good for boost the cyl. walls are to thin most including myself stay with a 427 CI 4.125 bore 4" stroke it will make plenty of power boosted!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6togo
The LSX 454 is not a big block its the same LSX block they build the 376-427's out of they just change the bore/stroke and its not good for boost the cyl. walls are to thin most including myself stay with a 427 CI 4.125 bore 4" stroke it will make plenty of power boosted!
See I was under the impression with the 454 LSX was a big block motor. O:

Now will I run into any issues with a 4.125" or could I just re-sleeve it with mentioned before darton or which ever?

I'm sorry for anyone's frustration haha I'm still learning
Old 02-25-2015, 10:21 AM
Launching!

I'm not sure on how built the crate 376/427/454's are, but you can get away with 4.125" bore easily. I've never heard of anyone having problems with this on the bow tie block. A few folk throw in a longer stroke crank to turn it into a 440ci., but the 427's such an iconic number
Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mista Blazer
See I was under the impression with the 454 LSX was a big block motor. O:

Now will I run into any issues with a 4.125" or could I just re-sleeve it with mentioned before darton or which ever?

I'm sorry for anyone's frustration haha I'm still learning
What is your budget? My motor is a billet block 427 with electric water pump, dry sumo, solid roller, jesel rockers, 6 bolt AFR heads done by TEA, dragon slayer crank, crower billet rods, -32cc pistons, Holley High Rise intake, Holley 95mm tb and holds tons of power. But will cost over 20k.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boosted LSx Block