Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

boosted front mount over heating issues need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default boosted front mount over heating issues need help

Build is a 02 Camaro 6.0 lq9 With a/c front mount TC 78/68 on 9 psi front mount intercooler stock radiator with 2 pusher fans on the a/c condenser and 1 puller fan on the back of the radiator offset from the Turbo to help pull air thru.

Drove the car home from shop which was an hr drive, she was a little on the warm side around 220-225 on the dash. When I got home and turned it off the car dumped about 1.5 gallons of antifreeze out from the over flow bottle.

The next day I filled it back up and bleed the air pockets outta the motor and drove it to take emissions. It stayed cool until I was on my way ho,e and the temp started to rise, around 230 till I got back to the house, about a 30 min round trip. When I shut the car off it dumped about 1.5 gallons out again.

The next day I replaced the tstat with a original temp one, emptied all the coolant and washed out the motor and radiator with the hose, then filled it and bleed all the airpockets out of it. That night we took the car out after it idled in the driveway for 30 mins and she stayed at 210 the whole way to the gas station and back, and I put it in boost on the way there and back to try to she if she would heat up.

The next day I took her for a short drive got into boost a few times without problem, then after 30 mins or so it started to heat up again, brought it home and she dumped more coolant. Filled it up and bleed it again. Took it back out and the first time into boost there was a huge cloud of white smoke behind the car.

This was almost all in mid 30 degree weather. The head gaskets are brand new with arp studs. I'm at a loss for words and don't know what else to do. The car has 3 fans a Turbo blanket all piping is wrapped, the front bumper is cut open for airflow, new tstat and tons of antifreeze... what am I missing. I have a catch can also which I can see a lot of blue smoke come out under boost, but when I check the can it was dry... I'm so mind fucked by this car.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Front 2 fans are 12" pushers 933 cfm each, rear fan is a 10" puller 650 cfm
Old 03-28-2015, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts

Three things
1-are the fans blowing the correct direction (seen that b4)
2-did you fill the radiator thru the top hose to fill the block
3-is the intercooler blocking the whole rad-are the fans in front of the radiator or intercooler
Old 03-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Fans are blowing the correct direction.we filled the motor and radiator from the radiator. Waited for the tstat to open and kept filling until the car wouldn't take anymore... took fluid for about 20 mins a little at a time once the tstat opened. And yes the intercooler does sit in front of the radiator. The ringer cooler is attached to the metal piece that connects the frame rails.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Intercooler is up front inside the bumper. Then the fans are mounted to the condenser and radiator. 2 on front side of condenser and 1 on back of radiator
Old 03-28-2015, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What fans you running? CFM is rated differently by all mfg so is hard to say but I ran two different types of fans before I found some Derale's and snagged them and threw them on the car. The second they kick on blowing through the condenser they bring the car down the the shut off temp easily.

From what I have read also having a puller can cause issues when using pushers because it causes turbulence and the air doesn't move out like it should.

Check your oil for coolant? If your sure the fans are doing their job only other thing I could think of you are getting water in somewhere or losing it somewhere.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you figure anything out with your heating issues. My car heat soaks bad also. I feel if we could get heat out from our engine compartment that would help with heating issues.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002SLPSSCAMARO
Build is a 02 Camaro 6.0 lq9 With a/c front mount TC 78/68 on 9 psi front mount intercooler stock radiator with 2 pusher fans on the a/c condenser and 1 puller fan on the back of the radiator offset from the Turbo to help pull air thru.

Drove the car home from shop which was an hr drive, she was a little on the warm side around 220-225 on the dash. When I got home and turned it off the car dumped about 1.5 gallons of antifreeze out from the over flow bottle.

The next day I filled it back up and bleed the air pockets outta the motor and drove it to take emissions. It stayed cool until I was on my way ho,e and the temp started to rise, around 230 till I got back to the house, about a 30 min round trip. When I shut the car off it dumped about 1.5 gallons out again.

The next day I replaced the tstat with a original temp one, emptied all the coolant and washed out the motor and radiator with the hose, then filled it and bleed all the airpockets out of it. That night we took the car out after it idled in the driveway for 30 mins and she stayed at 210 the whole way to the gas station and back, and I put it in boost on the way there and back to try to she if she would heat up.

The next day I took her for a short drive got into boost a few times without problem, then after 30 mins or so it started to heat up again, brought it home and she dumped more coolant. Filled it up and bleed it again. Took it back out and the first time into boost there was a huge cloud of white smoke behind the car.

This was almost all in mid 30 degree weather. The head gaskets are brand new with arp studs. I'm at a loss for words and don't know what else to do. The car has 3 fans a Turbo blanket all piping is wrapped, the front bumper is cut open for airflow, new tstat and tons of antifreeze... what am I missing. I have a catch can also which I can see a lot of blue smoke come out under boost, but when I check the can it was dry... I'm so mind fucked by this car.
I would start by doing a cooling system pressure test. See if the cooling system is holding pressure then go from there. Stated above in red, did the car sit and cool down before you went back out and had the huge puff of white smoke? If it doesn't hold pressure and you see no visible leaks I would run a compression test on it, see if maybe you are having a head gasket/cracked block or head issue. I know you stated that they are new gaskets and new head studs but **** happens.

Quick Reply: boosted front mount over heating issues need help