Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

4.8TT/T in z32

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8TT/T in z32

Hey fellas first post here.

I'm looking to go twin or single for my swap.

I want an aluminum block for weight savings.

I've done some research and found that the 4.8L would be better than the 5.3L. BUT! Is the 5.7-6.3 better for dollar to hp?

Hp goals are 700+ on pump 93
running 500hp in my other z32 and it feels slow (ish) .

Now what is required for this to be reliable?

The list
Drop in pistons and rods
Arp head studs and rod bolts
Saw somewhere ls9 headgaskets (why?)

Is there an off the shelf boost cam?
My research has told me that custom for each application is best but I would still like to know the opinion of the LS masses since I am a noob to this community.

What heads won't break the bank but will deliver power and efficiency?

I would like to have cylinder deac and variable valve timing. Can these be used with certain heads?

Considering using APS cast manifolds depending on what turbo/s is best for my application.

Finally what types of standalones can we use that are plug and play?
In the import world haltech and aem are the first to go to.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Forget the pistons and rods. 4.8l take a lot of beatings. A guy on here was making 918rwhp in his truck with turbo and spray. He also said he towed his boat with truck I believe. My 5.3l has 3k on it at 15psi (???rwhp) and I rip through gears all the time. Just get good head gaskets and head studs. Unless you want to rev real high or something silly. Also search denmah, he's got a ton of good info I used for my build
Old 04-17-2015, 11:00 AM

I saw, i'm waiting for a response from his thread.

space is of a premium in my application unfortunately.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 770 Likes on 566 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Look around a bit. You probably won't get a big response because everything you asked has been answered.... many times. Work is slow today and I'm bored... so I'll give it a go!

What is your budget like?

As far as space goes the 4.8 is not physically smaller than a 5.3 or 6.0. 4.8's are iron blocks. If you're stuck on alum. (which is only an 80lb weight savings) You'll want to look at 2005+ alum 5.3's. The earlier L33 5.3's are also proven alum block performers. L33 and the 2005+ alum. are the sought after engines. Good luck finding one for a decent price these days. 4.8's are the underdog and can be picked up relatively cheap ($500-600) U still want 2005+. Older engines have weak rods, including the 5.7's (LS1). The 6.X alum engines are awesome... and VERY expensive by comparison.

Twins or single depend on budget, either can easily meet your goal. A gen4 (2005+) engine will make 700ish HP on a 100% untouched factory bottom end. NO pistons/rods/ARP hardware. Buy a good set of head studs. Any Gen4 factory head will also meet your goal. Spending a little extra on an aftermarket head will require less boost to hit your goal. AFR 205 heads would be great on small bore LS stuff IMO. Alcohol inj. kit would help a ton trying to make 700 on pump. If not you'll need to play with lower compression to do it reliably IMO. Modifying factory cast manifolds are the cheapest way by far, you don't need to buy aftermarket exh. Manifolds. I'd guess no vendor is going to make a set that bolts in a Z32 anyway.

LS9 HG's are a reasonably priced quality 7 layer MLS gasket. So they are used often. Thousands of shelf cams out there. Don't need a big cam to hit your goals. Cam will depend on the entire setup as a whole. Impossible to guess what would work best for you until you sort the combo out. I've yet to see a 700+HP LS Keep the cyl deactivation/ variable valve timing. Would be very pricey to keep it.

I'd say the Holley HP is the most popular PNP standalone in the LS world. The Megasquirt stuff is cheaper and if you're on a budget the best option IMO.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:44 PM

I mean to use an aluminum 5.3 with 4.8 guts for faster spoolup.

What turbine size should I go with?
I'm thinking an Efr 9180 with either a 1.05 or 1.45 a/r turbine. It's T4 twin scroll

91mm exducer and 67mm inducer
Flows 94lbs/min

turbine is 80mm

So as far as AFM and VVT and DOD can that be enabled with the right set of heads? I'd like to get decent MPG when driving.
Does it need to be used with a dbw tb or can cable tb's be used?

I'll check I to those ecu's

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 770 Likes on 566 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by supergoji
I mean to use an aluminum 5.3 with 4.8 guts for faster spoolup.

What turbine size should I go with?
I'm thinking an Efr 9180 with either a 1.05 or 1.45 a/r turbine. It's T4 twin scroll

91mm exducer and 67mm inducer
Flows 94lbs/min

turbine is 80mm

So as far as AFM and VVT and DOD can that be enabled with the right set of heads? I'd like to get decent MPG when driving.
Does it need to be used with a dbw tb or can cable tb's be used?

I'll check I to those ecu's

Thanks.
4.8 is less displacement and will spool more slowly than the 5.3 at the same rpm. If you use a loose converter and rev the engine more the 4.8 may have a small edge. But a 5.3 is a better option for most IMO.

EFR stuff is not needed. S400 72-76mm variant will work just fine and is MUCH cheaper. If you stick with a t4 I'd look into the S476 with the 92mm 1.25 T4. Forced inductions can set this turbo up for you.

http://www.forcedinductions.com/

Use a cable throttle body and any OEM intake. Gear the car tall for your extra MPG. The VVT/DOD not needed. With the right gear you'll get great MPG and the turbo makes enough torque down low to pull the gear.

My 8 second setup used a 3.10 gear and 29" tire.It would net about 25 mpg and that was on E85. Would be closer to 30 on pump gas I'd guess. Thats on a power glide 2 speed trans. It was very street friendly.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:39 PM

Well I'm not sure on the budget. Frankly If the build is an acceptable # for the performance i'll take it.
for aa comparison a 300zx using BRAND NEW components it takes approx 4k-5k to make 500BHP 93/ 600bhp E85 on the stock turbos. The reason it's so expensive is because of the dual intake, dual exhaust and dual intercoolers.

I'd like to hit that # money wise or be under that. I'm not adverse to buying used components.

If I can get an 02 LS1 from a Camaro for $600 should I grab it?

i've done some more research as mentioned above that the early ls1 has weak rods? so would it be cost effective?

The larger s400 is comparable to the Efr. But the slightly smaller frame s400 looks like a good price for the performance. good tip on that one!

so the turbo is out of the way it'll be an S400xxx unit.

Now the question comes down to the engine.
as above I have the option of getting an LS1 (5.7L), LQ4(6.0) or L33(5.3)
I've seen on here that with increased boost these motors will have valve float above a certain RPM and PSI.

So with any of these motors to make 700whp on pump which is my best bet? I have access to E-85 but 93 is preferred.

LS1 will have to be built along with the heads from what i've read. but the engine is cheap.

LQ4 and L33 seem to do fine? I havent seen anything that indicates I would need to upgrade the heads or bottom end.
apparently there are Natural gas LQ4's as well, anyone know if those valves hold up to boost better?

the 05+ LQ4 would be the target because it has the thicker LS2 rods I believe?

ok so then the DOD/AFM/VVt is for another day.
Ill be using the stock diff at 3.69.
Possibly with a 2.9375 swap from an armada and a 370z 6spd trans.

Last edited by supergoji; 04-20-2015 at 12:33 AM.

Quick Reply: 4.8TT/T in z32