Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Head casting porosity ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 11:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Head casting porosity ?

Just popped into my head after I see someone on another thread mention about head castings, materials and treatment.

I had my heads surfaced recently and noticed what seem to be lots of little pin holes

225cc TFS heads, circa 7-8 years old. I'm still using them and they are giving no signs of any problems.

Just thought the visuals were strange, is this a common thing ? Hopefully the photo will be adequate to see what I'm talking about. I've tried to retain some size/resolution and still be able to upload it.
It has nothing to do with detonation or any nonsense as it is right across the entire surface of both heads. I dont recall anything like this when they were new, but obviously being clean and brand new...just may not have been so visible.

I'm not concerned about it, just curious...Thoughts ?

Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 AM
9 Second Club

I guess to add...looking back at old photos, the same markings are evident, albeit clean.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, I've never noticed this, but I also have never really paid much attention. Can you feel them with your fingernail or anything?
Old 05-05-2015, 04:43 PM
9 Second Club

To the fingertip, the head is completely smooth, it was only after machining I noticed it, largely because before the head surface wasnt all nice and clean, so just not noticeable.

After machining it really stuck out though. Even when new I hadnt even noticed it, it's just looking back at old photos I can see they were there too.

It's just like little black pinholes. Whilst I didnt probe them I doubt there is any actual depth. It's more like there are little air bubbles in the casting.

Quick Reply: Head casting porosity ?