Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what flowrate should the oil scavage pump run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 01:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what flowrate should the oil scavage pump run?

I am running a scavaging oil pump on my turbo for the TA and I wanna make sure teh pump flows at least or mroe then what is gonna be supplied to the turbo so there is never any pressure build up in the drain. So what GPM does our motor oil pumps run?
Old 06-03-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tiago
I am running a scavaging oil pump on my turbo for the TA and I wanna make sure teh pump flows at least or mroe then what is gonna be supplied to the turbo so there is never any pressure build up in the drain. So what GPM does our motor oil pumps run?

Did a search ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...light=scavenge) as this came up not too long ago and Gary provided this answer, incon specific but may be of help:

"The major problem is that the gt2535 turbos only require about 1 gallon/min oil flow maximum. The way Incon has the pump setup its will flow around 2 gallons/min. which means most of the time the pump is dry. The pump can run dry but it will reduce the useful life. Most people think that the oil scavenge reserviors Incon were used because the pump could not keep up with the oil demand. Infact, for proper operation you should fill the oil scavenge tanks and oil lines to the pump full of oil, this would somewhat help the pump run longer. The best way to use this pump would be to restrict the oulet so the pump does not run dry.

The weldon 9200 which I use, is rated at 1 gpm maximum and a variable vane pump. Variable vane pump can run dry for short periods of time like a diaphragm but are rated for much longer life. They cost a lot more, but I would rather not kill my motor and turbo(s) with a cheap pump."
Old 06-04-2004, 08:27 AM
9 Second Club

anyone seen these pumps?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/mocal1.htm
Old 06-04-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tiago

Its going to be dependent on what the turbo requires for oiling. One you know that can roughly size a pump. A pumps flow rate is dependent on the backpressure (friction loss and head pressure) in the line back to the engine. So if have a lot of flex hose length or whatever the pump flowrate drops a little. I have the two turbo drains connected together then to the weldon pump. From the weldon pump the return line goes to the bottom of the oil pan were the oil level sensor port is located. I have a check valve on the oil pan and the pump pushes through the check valve into the oil pan. The check valve and lines create about 10 psi of back pressure max. Since weldon provides a pump curve I could check how much flow the pump produces with this back pressure.

Contact whoever you bought the turbo from and ask them. If they don't know contact Limit Engineering and talk with John Craig. For the incon setup I just calculated it based on the orifice size thats installed in the CHRA and a maximum oil pressure of 60 psi.

So basically its going to be system and layout dependent.

Gary

Quick Reply: what flowrate should the oil scavage pump run?