Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI LQ4 Build Ideas

Old 05-28-2015, 07:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI LQ4 Build Ideas

So I bought a 72 Camaro w/ a pretty aggressive 355 SBC about 2 months ago. Within 10 minutes of the drive home I realized I needed to change the tranny (3 spd auto), brakes, suspension, and interior. So needless to say I drained my checking account and have all this done (or parts in the garage). Oh, and of course the forged wheels didn't help.

So it doesn't take too many times of starting it up and revving at 1500 for minutes on end to get enough heat in for idle to realize making 400 hp with all this hassle sucks... so time to start planning an LS swap. I've had a LS3 vette and LSA CTS-V in the past, and can't lie I loved that V. But being broke after all the other upgrades I can't quite swing the LSA plug and play deal, and plus I have a friend w/ one making over 600 so I need to match/beat that haha. I'd appreciate feedback on my budget plan below:

-LQ4 long block: Found one with 500 hrs of emissions testing only on it: $2500, is that a good deal? 317 heads fine for this plan?
-Used LSA supercharger w/ ZL1 hat: $1k, I assume I'll go w/ a smaller pulley and new isolator?
- ZL1 heat exchanger in front of stock radiator
- Stock radiator w/ electric fans?
- Phantom Areomotive 340 in stock gas tank
- LSA or LS9 injectors/fuel rail, or is there a bigger more cost effective solution?
- Brian Tooley Stage III cam
- FAST EZ EFI 2.0 LS Kit - looks to be plug and play for this and will allow me to make changes on my own, also thinking of LSA kit from GMPP since it includes pedals, etc.
- LSA IC pump
- LSA accessory drive: $950, can't figure any more economical way to do this.

Or should I just buy a $1500 CX racing turbo kit for a LS1 and "make it work" on the LQ4 haha? I've never welded and figure that the learning curve will make it look like garbage or I'd spend a ton on fab work. I know the supercharger route will end up costing more for parts, but should be "easier"?

This will all go in front of a brand new TKO600. Any comments from people who have done similar or know better? This is my first actual engine build.
Attached Thumbnails FI LQ4 Build Ideas-car-boat.jpg  

Last edited by RLJ676; 05-28-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

So looks like the stock 317 heads won't work due to cathedral design.

If I get an ATK short block for $1900 and L92 heads for 1k or less used, how much money to turn it into a long block?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is sort of a budget build. Used lq4 I got off eBay think maybe 600 bucks if that. Had it Sent out for inspection honing and all forged internals. Was around 5k for that. Going with ls3 heads intake and a fast throttle body and the other stuff needed was another 5k. So for 10k should have a motor good for boost and 1k hp easily
Old 05-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cool28
Mine is sort of a budget build. Used lq4 I got off eBay think maybe 600 bucks if that. Had it Sent out for inspection honing and all forged internals. Was around 5k for that. Going with ls3 heads intake and a fast throttle body and the other stuff needed was another 5k. So for 10k should have a motor good for boost and 1k hp easily

I'm still happy w/ under 700 hp, so no forged internals for my budget.

What are you going with for harness/ignition/injectors?

Was $600 just a short block, I haven't seen any deals like that, it's all $1500+ complete motors, which isn't bad except I don't want the heads/injectors/wiring etc... off a 100k mile plus motor.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

600 I think that was the price. Was just a bare block. Putting this into a 98 Transam so harness is the same. Just need tuning mostly. Injector going 80lbs and fuel system was from a place local to me.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cool28
600 I think that was the price. Was just a bare block. Putting this into a 98 Transam so harness is the same. Just need tuning mostly. Injector going 80lbs and fuel system was from a place local to me.

Maybe I'll look for a block too, if I put together myself could maybe afford forged rotating stroker... My timeline is to have in car by next spring so plenty of time to shop for a deal.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about this, what are the goals for the car, and what is your budget?

A $2500 LQ9 is not the best deal. Emissions testing or not.
If you search around you'll find plenty of people that make 600+ with very basic 5.3L/Turbocharged combinations.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DEFYANT
How about this, what are the goals for the car, and what is your budget?

A $2500 LQ9 is not the best deal. Emissions testing or not.
If you search around you'll find plenty of people that make 600+ with very basic 5.3L/Turbocharged combinations.
Looking for street and occasional hpde/autocross. The car is nice so I dont wanna kill the value w a jy motor. Still think displacement rules for low end, and I'm not sure about plumbing a turbo.

Leaning towards the atk short block and building slow from there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FI LQ4 Build Ideas