Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intake test ( n/a )

Old 08-07-2015, 02:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Intake test ( n/a )

Seen this over on the C5 forum, Yes as listed in the title it is n/a, but still worth a read.

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1507-...ifolds-tested/

From that, I take that the FAST plastic intakes seem to be the best all round performers !

IMO on that application tested even the likes of the HiRam didnt really shine above it.

Perhaps on a bigger build, bigger heads/cam etc it may be a little different though, but overall those plastic intakes performed very well, especially their truck version for obvious reasons. Pity it's so big though as I'd never have the room for it.

What ever happened the new FAST intakes with shorter straight runners ?
Old 08-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Average power/TQ, and TQ at 4000 RPM on the TBSS intake was kinda nuts. Beat out the LS6 intake across the entire rev range.

The other intakes made more peak power, but only at high RPM. If I was wanting to go l for cheap.. Id go with the TBSS intake to be honest. I cant see 300-400 rpm way up top being enough to beat out that huge powerband.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang almost makes the fast intakes look worth the $!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Average power/TQ, and TQ at 4000 RPM on the TBSS intake was kinda nuts. Beat out the LS6 intake across the entire rev range.

The other intakes made more peak power, but only at high RPM. If I was wanting to go l for cheap.. Id go with the TBSS intake to be honest. I cant see 300-400 rpm way up top being enough to beat out that huge powerband.
Exactly, choose a good intake setup etc to assist with off boost performance, and at the top just let boost take care of things.

The plastic intakes really did perform well, now where is the new short/medium runner intake from FAST ?
Old 08-07-2015, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to realize the cam wasnt tailered to all of the intakes. Most people wouldnt pair that particular grind with a carbed, single plane intake. Conversely, I expect a TBSS or Fast intake to not shine near as bright with a single patern camshaft on a narrow lobe separation tailered to a short runner intake. Take it all with a grain of salt. Its was a good test none the less. Intakes and cams need to be matched to really show their true potential.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Changing Names

the fast102s have always proven themselves to be solid performers

the gmt900/TBSS intake is best flowing cathedral intake in stock form
Old 08-08-2015, 02:26 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
You have to realize the cam wasnt tailered to all of the intakes. Most people wouldnt pair that particular grind with a carbed, single plane intake. Conversely, I expect a TBSS or Fast intake to not shine near as bright with a single patern camshaft on a narrow lobe separation tailered to a short runner intake. Take it all with a grain of salt. Its was a good test none the less. Intakes and cams need to be matched to really show their true potential.
And most using an LS6 with boost that blow most away dont match their build to the intake either.

Lets face it, nobody spends thousands of hours on a dyno testing matching all of their components.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:33 AM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
What ever happened the new FAST intakes with shorter straight runners ?
I checked on them last week.
They're not finished yet.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:45 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Data ftw
Old 08-08-2015, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So does a fast 102 work with ls2 fuel rails?
Old 08-08-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

And most using an LS6 with boost that blow most away dont match their build to the intake either.

Lets face it, nobody spends thousands of hours on a dyno testing matching all of their components.
I agree that under preasure an LS6 can certainly hold its own but boost was nowhere to be found in this test. You are also correct that most in this forced induction forum wont match all of their components. An intake just isnt as critical here. Most will at least taylor the cam to the rest of the combo.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting test, All engines are "Boosted". N/A engines just run at 14.7 PSIA
Old 08-08-2015, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

I agree that under preasure an LS6 can certainly hold its own but boost was nowhere to be found in this test. You are also correct that most in this forced induction forum wont match all of their components. An intake just isnt as critical here. Most will at least taylor the cam to the rest of the combo.
The LS6 performed quite well actually, obviously not superb, but then it is just standard.

And no, most dont optimise their cam either. They either buy off the shelf, or have best educated guess...but how many do REAL testing with dozens of profiles to see what actually works best for their setup ?

I'd say almost none.

People can blab custom grind all they want...but they are still best guesses.

To say the intake is not critical....well you could say neither are any parts really. But what is very clear from the test, is the intake does have a big role to play throughout the entire rpm range so I would say it can be more important than a lot of other factors.

Will it have a huge impact on a single max power number ? Perhaps not, but everyone knows that isnt what it's all about.

What seems most shocking, is how bad the single plane carb intakes performed. Yet 8-9 years ago everyone was saying the plastic intakes were crap and carb intakes where the best thing out.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:54 PM
TECH Regular

This combo is just not suited to a single plane. There are a lot other test out there that show another side though. The finance friendly 408 test comes to mind.
Old 08-08-2015, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

The cam in the test favored long runner intakes. The shorter the runners got the less optimized they became. The shortest runner intake faired very poorly. The longer runner intakes did quite well. Had the test featured a camshaft with a lot of overlap the results would no doubt have been different.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:58 PM
9 Second Club

The cam in the test favored long runner intakes. The shorter the runners got the less optimized they became. The shortest runner intake faired very poorly. The longer runner intakes did quite well. Had the test featured a camshaft with a lot of overlap the results would no doubt have been different.
From a boosted perspective...nobody runs camshafts with a lot of overlap anyway...and even n/a for many I still dont think that would be so prevalent ?

So the test is still quite useful for an intake to use on a boosted setup.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:23 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

Nice info, thanks... I'd like to know where they are getting an LS6 intake manifold for $195. I've NEVER seen on that cheap.

I'm more impressed with the speedmaster intake. I wish they didn't use a 102mm TB on it though. I've seen them for as little as $199 shipped. Packaging is much better than the TBSS.

Aren't the FAST intakes pretty flimsy construction wise? Are they really rated for boost?

Last edited by Forcefed86; 08-08-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

There have been posts about people saying their FAST blew up...but there are equally as many..probably more who have never had issue. A lot of anything I've read seem to be about very early manifolds from years ago.

I dont think I would be put off using one though for that reason. I'd really like to see what the new version does with the straight medium length runners
Old 08-08-2015, 08:49 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

I hear the new Dorman LS intake uses old FAST castings and performs well for a cheapie. Suprised they didnt' test it as well.

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/1...ake-dyno-test/
Old 08-08-2015, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

And no, most dont optimise their cam either. They either buy off the shelf, or have best educated guess...but how many do REAL testing with dozens of profiles to see what actually works best for their setup ?

I'd say almost none.

People can blab custom grind all they want...but they are still best guesses.
I couldnt disagree more. There is a very high percentage of people on this forum using custom cams from Martin, LJMS, and Kip/Cam Motion. I think those cams are proven to work. They sell enough that they have narrowed down the selections to fit exactly with your setup. They are not just guesing. A lot of trial and error got them to this point. The same could be said about many of the other vendors that build cars that get raced every weekend. They see a wide variety of combos and know their stuff when its time to spec a cam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intake test ( n/a )