Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Possible Head gasket issue??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Head gasket issue??

I ran my car pretty hard during lunch yesterday (forged 5.7 ls1 d1sc 9-10 lbs arp head bolts ls9 head gaskets 10:1 compression) and it pushed a little bit of coolant out of the radiator cap... the car never ran hot or smoked etc just curious if anyone else has had this happen?? coolant level was about 1 inch low in the radiator and started to fill back up when i restarted it after it cooled down a few hours later
Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar situation. I find just about every time I drive my car, I end up checking after the cools down and I'm about 6-8oz low on coolant again and I always seem to notice a Dex-like smell from the car, yet never see a drop of coolant anywhere. Oil doesn't appear milky, no obvious signs of oil in the coolant, but there is always that slight odor and always seem to "lose" a little regardless of how I drive it. I've come to the conclusion that I must be consuming it somewhere (despite the studs and LS9 MLS gaskets) through some minor imperfection, but it sure does get annoying.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Yeah I could actually see a small amount of the antifreeze sprayed around the area of the radiator cap in my situation though so maybe a bad radiator cap??
Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dwayneogles
Yeah I could actually see a small amount of the antifreeze sprayed around the area of the radiator cap in my situation though so maybe a bad radiator cap??
Possible, using a stock cap? How old? The seal could be deteriorating if it's original. Grab a new one and give it a shot. If it's still doing it, you might be pressurizing the system (pushing water).
Old 08-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Teching In

It was a new 18lb cap but wasent a stock GM piece don't remember what kind it was gonna try a new stock cap and see if it does it again
Old 08-13-2015, 01:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

If you're getting manifold pressure in the rad the HG is leaking. The only thing you can do is re-torque the head studs and hope you don't see it again. If you do, you need to replace the leak. May also be a sign that you're cylinder pressure is spiking. Might be time to revisit the tune and drop timing down a bit.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:09 PM
Teching In

What's the best way to test to see if it is getting pressure into the radiator??
Old 08-13-2015, 02:25 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
If you're getting manifold pressure in the rad the HG is leaking. The only thing you can do is re-torque the head studs and hope you don't see it again. If you do, you need to replace the leak. May also be a sign that you're cylinder pressure is spiking. Might be time to revisit the tune and drop timing down a bit.

This is the truth!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's the best way to test to see if it is getting pressure into the radiator??
Eliminate any other possibilities like bad radiator caps and re torque the heads to see if it continues. 10:1 and a shitty tune is a perfect recipe for pushing water. It happens ALL the time with higher compression S/C cars. If Your going to flirt with mechanically achieving Max CP be sure your tune is spot on or pay the price.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Replacing the cap in the morning and I feel pretty comfortable with the tune Alvin at pcm of North Carolina tuned it and has done all my past cars as well
Old 08-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Teching In

So I just got home checked coolant level, all good, warmed her up and went and drove the **** out of it again and everything was perfectly fine ran like a banshee and spit no water!!! What gives?!?!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

If the system over-pressurizes again and you can get your hands on a CO/combustion test kit, check it with that. In your case I would set up the tester and check the coolant in the overflow bottle as you slowly release some of the pressure/gases into the overflow from the radiator by very slowly loosening the radiator cap. Be damn careful. And it only takes a little turning of the cap to allow the gases out and into the overflow. The test kits are relatively cheap, easy to get and very accurate. Good luck!
Old 08-14-2015, 02:23 PM
9 Second Club

So I just got home checked coolant level, all good, warmed her up and went and drove the **** out of it again and everything was perfectly fine ran like a banshee and spit no water!!! What gives?!?!
Its probably that tick you developed from being ran over twice now on pit road! hahaha

Old 08-14-2015, 02:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Simple, monitor pressure in the cooling system.

Cheapest is hook up a fitting and use a cheap pressure gauge.

Quick Reply: Possible Head gasket issue??