Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best location for heat exchangers on a mid-engine TT car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best location for heat exchangers on a mid-engine TT car?

So I'm trying to get the car ready for the 1/2-mile event here soon and I'm left with deciding on the water/air intercooler setup on the car.

I have a Lingenfelter intercooled intake with AN-10 fittings. I have two options that I can think of.

Here is the car:

Here is the engine bay (you can see the side vent opening just above the FPR in the top middle of the picture):

Here are the side vents (no longer has the air filters in there):

So my question is, do I just put a radiator/heat exchanger in front of the radiator up front? Or do I put two smaller heat exchangers in the back at the vents? If I put them in the vents, the air flow is not great through those at speed, so they would have a puller fan on either side. If mounted in the front, then there is just the two puller fans that are the same as a C5 vette.

So do you think it's better to mount in the front or the side vents?
Old 09-02-2015, 03:19 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Personally I'd say front to keep anything from impeding the air flow, but I have been known to be wrong occasionally.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

You cant beat direct airflow. Unless you go Co2 sprayers?
Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by PPI Typhoon

So my question is, do I just put a radiator/heat exchanger in front of the radiator up front?
If you have room to do this, I think I would be doing it this way, the nose opening looks fairly large ?

If you do go for side mounted water rads, ensure you add fans so you can always pull air through them so there is less chance of any heat soak from the engine bay itself.

And fully seal/duct outside air into the rad so hot air can never re-circulate.

Certainly side mounted is probably easier with shorter pipe runs though.

Unfortunately without real testing of both air and water temps, you'll never know which is best.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure how much room you have in your engine compartment, mines transverse so I have a little more room.

I have my heat exchanger between the motor and firewall (behind the cabin) muonted down low at a angle. I have 2 small electric fans mounted on the heat exchanger.

Right now I have the heat exchanger being used as a third radiator. Im running (non intercooled) e85 and with normal driving my iat's are pretty good. I have it so I can swap from the heat exchanger being used as a 3rd radiator to a heat exchanger real easy.

I have the 2 small electric fans relayed to the brake switch so when Im on the brakes (sitting in traffic) they come on. I also have a master switch so I can turn them on any time.

First pic is to show the orientation of the drivetrain, othr pic shows the heat exchanger circled.
Best location for heat exchangers on a mid-engine TT car?-9-4-15-001.jpg

Best location for heat exchangers on a mid-engine TT car?-9-4-15-004.jpg

Forgot to add--- If your just setting this up for 1/2 mile or even full mile, just use a aluminum tank with ice. No need for a heat exhanger...

Last edited by tonypaul; 09-04-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not do both? The side vents look pretty big and you could open up the actual hole a fair bit more. Two, one mounted either side, should help pull a lot of heat out the water. You could the. Run the water to the front to another rad in front of the radiator to remove the last of the heat.

As you are pulling g some heat out the water with the side vents you will be heating the air up less before it hits the radiator.

Other area you could look at are next to the gearbox (either side). You would need a fans and some ducts.

Either way don't be worried about having too much HE. That's a great situation to be in.

Quick Reply: Best location for heat exchangers on a mid-engine TT car?