Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Road course - looking for fast spool

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Stevie, I understand that picture probably wasn't taken specifically to illustrate the turbo drain system you are using, but I bet we could have seen all of it perfectly if your nifty skid plate wasn't covering it all. But what a creative configuration you have worked out, in there, I love the wastegate(s) mounting and dump pipes for said wastegate(s). Very cool set-up.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Stevie, I understand that picture probably wasn't taken specifically to illustrate the turbo drain system you are using, but I bet we could have seen all of it perfectly if your nifty skid plate wasn't covering it all. But what a creative configuration you have worked out, in there, I love the wastegate(s) mounting and dump pipes for said wastegate(s). Very cool set-up.
The plate hides where the boost control solenoids are mounted. There isnt anything to see regarding the oil drain, it's basically just an alloy pipe linking the two turbos.

From front side. I did add a crappy non return valve where the barbed fitting is in the photo to prevent some oil runback from the pump after shutdown. But the valve itself is so ****, I doubt it stops much.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Do have room for air filters on those, at all?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:29 AM
9 Second Club

Do have room for air filters on those, at all?
That's the biggest compromise of the entire setup

These were the smallest decent quality filters I could find and they fit quite well and are easy to get on/off, also the foam is replaceable. Or it could probably be cleaned too.
I wouldnt say their ability to filter is superb though, but IMO it's the best and freest flowing of any filter that sort of size. I couldnt find a K&N that would fit, but even if I did it would have such little actual filtration area it would be pointless using it

http://www.nengun.com/greddy/gracer-airinx-air-filters
Old 09-16-2015, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good - my drains should be fine then. i am not sure why it runs into issues while under high cornering load. i'll have to do alittle more investigation - thanks for all your input
Old 09-16-2015, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

@ Stevie, anything is better than nothing. Even a screen to catch the big impeller-eating debris out is better than an open mouth turbo. Glad you found a solution.

@ OP, can you replicate stevie's setup with the space and parts you have available? If his works without the same shortcomings as your current combination, then copying him would be a good place to start.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club

I'd never run a mesh screen, as they filter absolutely nothing, and flow like crap too. The Greddy filters are actually very good in how the mount too compared to the likes of HKS etc

Much better and easier and the foam is also thicker although there are different layers of the foam.

Either way it's working find.

As for a comparison with some smaller turbos again on a 6.0, HankPeaBody posted this video of his with a couple of 51mm turbos, his usernamse on the other forum is Crankpin

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...83#post8640983

They seem fairly responsive, although would be nice to see a direct graph comparison, but fairly sure he's tried a few turbos and posted about them here as he wanted faster spool
Old 09-16-2015, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

@ Stevie, anything is better than nothing. Even a screen to catch the big impeller-eating debris out is better than an open mouth turbo. Glad you found a solution.

@ OP, can you replicate stevie's setup with the space and parts you have available? If his works without the same shortcomings as your current combination, then copying him would be a good place to start.
unfortunately it doesn't look like he's running a vette. i don't have that kind of room next to my oil pan those turbos would be sitting on the ground in my car lol. my plan is to probably run a single where the battery used to be and see how it goes.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2005vetteTT
unfortunately it doesn't look like he's running a vette. i don't have that kind of room next to my oil pan those turbos would be sitting on the ground in my car lol. my plan is to probably run a single where the battery used to be and see how it goes.
TTiX fits small turbos onto the Vettes ? Also with short cast manifolds, their setup should be very responsive

And regardless, all you should need is a smaller pair of turbos unless your current manifolds etc are terrible.

Interesting this popped up....67mm on a 4.8

TBH even it doesnt seem to spool super fast although looks like a very cool car

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post18967568
Old 09-16-2015, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
TTiX fits small turbos onto the Vettes ? Also with short cast manifolds, their setup should be very responsive

And regardless, all you should need is a smaller pair of turbos unless your current manifolds etc are terrible.

Interesting this popped up....67mm on a 4.8

TBH even it doesnt seem to spool super fast although looks like a very cool car

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post18967568
yeah TTiX and APS do it, but it looks like it would be a pain. i may pick up some smaller turbos and see how it goes. i just felt like the car had drain issues due to the configuration - and the weight balance felt strange VS N/A with all that weight sitting right behind the front tires.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:53 PM
9 Second Club

Having the weight behind the front tyres would certainly be far more preferable than having the weight sitting out front if that's where you're considering putting a single.

Keeping the weight between the front/rear axles is better than beyond either axle.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Having the weight behind the front tyres would certainly be far more preferable than having the weight sitting out front if that's where you're considering putting a single.

Keeping the weight between the front/rear axles is better than beyond either axle.
my single plan is to have it where the battery used to be. the car is a C6. should provide pretty good weight balance compared to stock
Old 09-16-2015, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DKT used to do a TT kit (when still in business) that used hooker truck cast headers (could probably use stock cast truck manifolds) with a short steel section to the turbo. Could work and you can then mount the turbos nice and low as well as far back. It was basically a copy of the APS kit.

If you wanted to redo the kit on the cheap this could be a viable option.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Is that using the Hinson (spell?) kit? Modes versions of these kits have managed to fit upto a 88mm on c5s but don't think they do a C6 kit.

I still think a low mount kit with small turbos is you best way forward. I think you can still get If to can get a set of APS manifolds you can still get housings from precision I think.
yes it's a hinson

Quick Reply: Road course - looking for fast spool