Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is it a Turbo sin to use silicone elbows?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Is it a Turbo sin to use silicone elbows?

Finishing up my intercooler plumbing. The plumbing path is a little complicated. I'm just talking about the cold side. I need to know what you all think about using Silicone elbows, 90's and 45's for all the bends? Is it considered cheaping out? Too ricer? Uncool and shows a lack of skill? Also, Mine would be all black Silicone and not any kind of Day-Glo colors.

Or is it totally acceptable to use Silicone cold side plumbing elbows and clamps for all the turns? Looking around I see it done both ways. Heck of a lot easier and forgiving. The top level work looks like all aluminum with all V-band joints which is very cool. Others I don't like have all silicone even for the straight pieces.

I just need to know if its too lame or if its perfectly acceptable. What is your opinion?
Old 09-19-2015, 01:13 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I see a lot less of you asking whether or not they actually work, and more of you wondering if they're 'cool'.

Use silicone, make boost, wear smiles...
Old 09-19-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My personal experiences high quality silicone couplers paired with quality T-bolt clamps work great as long as your intercooler piping is bead rolled. I personally went Vanjen clamps on my build for the fact they're tool free quick disconnect, hold alot of boost (200psi+), allow 12° of flex and have a over all better appearance under the hood. I almost went with Wiggins clamps for my intercooler piping, and coolant pipes. But I couldn't justify that amount of money on my setup. Silicon couplers are very forgiving & affordable. If your looming for a solution for that Bad *** C5 project you have I'd go Vanjen or Wiggins or something similar. They're so much more visually appealing. That C5 build is fanonimal! I personally believe all your awesome craftsmanship deserves better than silicone couplers. Either way they'll all meet you needs.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I see a lot less of you asking whether or not they actually work, and more of you wondering if they're 'cool'.

Use silicone, make boost, wear smiles...

I know it will work Joe. Fact is its very clean. I think Im just having a battle with myself over it. Trying to get past over engineering everything and get the damn car running.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nismo Kid
My personal experiences high quality silicone couplers paired with quality T-bolt clamps work great as long as your intercooler piping is bead rolled. I personally went Vanjen clamps on my build for the fact they're tool free quick disconnect, hold alot of boost (200psi+), allow 12° of flex and have a over all better appearance under the hood. I almost went with Wiggins clamps for my intercooler piping, and coolant pipes. But I couldn't justify that amount of money on my setup. Silicon couplers are very forgiving & affordable. If your looming for a solution for that Bad *** C5 project you have I'd go Vanjen or Wiggins or something similar. They're so much more visually appealing. That C5 build is fanonimal! I personally believe all your awesome craftsmanship deserves better than silicone couplers. Either way they'll all meet you needs.
I have it mocked up with aluminum pipe and Silicone couples. Soon as my camera comes back home tomorrow and post a couple pics.
Old 09-19-2015, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my build is nothing to envy but it may help you visualize for your application.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...z31-build.html
Old 09-19-2015, 01:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Get the car running, work on a better solution from there.

My entire coldside was made from a single aluminum U-bend and a single 45* aluminum bend. Silicone couplers and the bits that were cut from the 45 and U were bead rolled and placed between them. I have maybe 80 bucks in the piping, couplers, and clamps.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Silicone can be handy for many reasons. The simple fact it's flexible, bends are tight and welding isnt required.

Obviously every joint is a potential pipe to blow off though. Lots of hoses and joins can look messy.

but at the end of they it will work fine.

Even if you were to make a mandrel for the silicone, you could get long 1 piece hoses made, similar to what APS did with some of their Subaru hoses here

Old 09-21-2015, 11:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is everything solid mounted? Engine, intercooler etc? No? then use something that can move and absorb the flexing
Old 09-22-2015, 05:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

On your build...I think alot of silicone would be a dis-service to all the work you have put into it at this point. Your build is so detail oriented, don't stop now!!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
On your build...I think alot of silicone would be a dis-service to all the work you have put into it at this point. Your build is so detail oriented, don't stop now!!
I will fully damn admit that is part of it. I am tired of welding. I did not get any negative response to the use of Silicone parts. All the aluminum straights are fully polished and I'm polishing each and every clamp as well. Ill post pics in the next couple days and sort of poll what you guys (whoever gives a ****) think if its worthy or not.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fat Jesus 808
Is everything solid mounted? Engine, intercooler etc? No? then use something that can move and absorb the flexing
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Is it a Turbo sin to use silicone elbows?