Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

horizontally mounted intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default horizontally mounted intercooler?

Sup guys i was browsing through the web for mods for e55 amg and i came to this website that has turbo kits for fbody. i never heard of this website before and this is the first time i saw this type of turbo kit. its a single mount kit that keeps the factory k-member and a/c, but reroute the battery to the rear. Whats unique about this kit is the the horizontally mounted intercooler mounted in front of the airdam. I just dont know if this setup will be sufficient in cooling. furthermore i dont like the routing of the exhaust below the k-member. if u want the website link u can message me, but i will post up pic of their install.
Attached Thumbnails horizontally mounted intercooler?-_mg_1803.jpg   horizontally mounted intercooler?-_mg_1807.jpg   horizontally mounted intercooler?-_mg_8350.jpg   horizontally mounted intercooler?-_mg_8356.jpg   horizontally mounted intercooler?-_mg_8366.jpg  

Old 10-13-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

last pix
Attached Thumbnails horizontally mounted intercooler?-_mg_8373.jpg  
Old 10-13-2015, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Without some form of air dam I doubt it would provide suffecient cooling mounted at that angle. Even with a splitter or air dam you'd be funneling road debris at full force into the core.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't have any hard data but there are a couple guys with turbo LS s10s that mounted their ICs horizontally and didn't have any issues at 500-700hp (i think those were their power levels). It doesn't seem like the ideal way to mount an IC but air is still going to flow over the core pretty well due to air stacking and pressure differentials. I don't think its a horrible idea but with all the other possible configurations for an Fbody, i think its unnecessary. The s10 guys have much less space to contend with. I also do not like the exhaust under the k-member. the kit as a whole doesn't seem well thought out IMO.

Last edited by SenorThumpy; 10-13-2015 at 03:15 PM. Reason: words
Old 10-13-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Teddy-2000RS
Without some form of air dam I doubt it would provide suffecient cooling mounted at that angle. Even with a splitter or air dam you'd be funneling road debris at full force into the core.
Its using the factory air damn to funnel the air into the intercooler. i dont think debris is an issue because procharger uses dual horizontal intercoolers without any problem with debris. but with this kit, the intercooler is blocking the air to the cars radiator, which might make the car overheat, however, they did cut a hole where the front license plate goes, maybe thats sufficient air. from the pix, i can see the car has pusher fans for the radiator, maybe they have couple puller fans for the intercooler.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

A Local turbo fox had his intercooler mounted like that and was running into heat dissipation issues issues. He changed it to like a 30* or 45* rake and it improved it quite a bit.

Quick Reply: horizontally mounted intercooler?