Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6.0 LQ9 with FItech EFI , wanting to add turbo....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 LQ9 with FItech EFI , wanting to add turbo....

Hello, Im very new to the world of turbos, and im doing as much research as i possibly can on the subject while i start buying parts. Im a TIG welder and fabricator by profession, so i want to tackle all the "work" of the installation on my own, im very confident on my ability to be able to handle this part of the project, but i am somewhat lost on a few other things, and im looking for some guidance.

I have a 6.0 LQ9 , with the FItech EFI Kit installed. PRC 215 13.5* CNC Heads, Custom EPS 226-230 598-600 111 +4 High Torque Cam, MSD 6010 and Performer RPM Intake. I have a Extreme Automatics 200-4r Stage1 , and 3200 RevMax 9.5" Lockup converter. Right now the car runs and drives great, and i have fun with it. I want to turbo the car, or possibly twin turbo the car, and im wondering what else i will need to upgrade for my fuel delivery, and motor build to handle the additional power.

And, on the topic of the additional power, im not looking for engine wrecking boost....yet, but i want to have fun with it, and learn for my first install and expereince with boost. I dont want to push the motor too hard and be needing to work on it constantly, i would like a reliable amount, but fun to mash the pedal, amount of boost. How much is too much for my motor internals, and what is the safe amount?

I plan to piece the kit together and make all my own headers for the job as well as all the hot and cold side piping.

I do appreciate all the help and info, and im very sorry if this is comes off as a dumbass post lol, but im just trying to learn.

Thanks

Here is the car in question!

Old 11-09-2015, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

to save you some trouble and money you could use the ebay ls1 turbo headers which are around 500 bucks. plenty of guys are using them with success and the quality is great. twin turbos would be cool but a single s400 turbo will do the job now and later. most billet s476-s484's will make well over 1000whp. dont mean to be a sells men but i do have a very low mileage Billet s480 for sale if it interests you! capable of 1200whp. bad *** car, i have a nova my self.

Name:  IMG_20151013_210157_zps9dcdvznb.jpg
Views: 9314
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20151013_210157_zps9dcdvznb.jpg
Views: 9314
Size:  90.7 KB
Attached Images
Old 11-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Teching In

That is actually the exact turbo i already have, but Im just so unsure and un educated on the other aspects of the turbo install.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Your motor is good for 700+rwhp on the stock rotating assembly. And the s480 will definitely get you there (and more if you so choose).

Lots of people use the eBay headers, but I would take on the challenge of doing it myself if I had access to the equipment. I find it extremely gratifying to build what I can by myself, so I can definitely see the appeal of fabricating your own headers.

Use V-bands, research proper wastegate placement, use a big (~50mm) wastegate because you have a big turbo, use a big (~60mm) blow off valve because you have a big turbo, solid mount the turbo and have a flex pipe between your hotside merge and the turbo, don't forget to add a bung for the wideband sensor, and ask lots of specific as possible questions.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jeebus
Hello, Im very new to the world of turbos, and im doing as much research as i possibly can on the subject while i start buying parts. Im a TIG welder and fabricator by profession, so i want to tackle all the "work" of the installation on my own, im very confident on my ability to be able to handle this part of the project, but i am somewhat lost on a few other things, and im looking for some guidance.

I have a 6.0 LQ9 , with the FItech EFI Kit installed. PRC 215 13.5* CNC Heads, Custom EPS 226-230 598-600 111 +4 High Torque Cam, MSD 6010 and Performer RPM Intake. I have a Extreme Automatics 200-4r Stage1 , and 3200 RevMax 9.5" Lockup converter. Right now the car runs and drives great, and i have fun with it. I want to turbo the car, or possibly twin turbo the car, and im wondering what else i will need to upgrade for my fuel delivery, and motor build to handle the additional power.

nice looking car ........

And, on the topic of the additional power, im not looking for engine wrecking boost....yet, but i want to have fun with it, and learn for my first install and expereince with boost. I dont want to push the motor too hard and be needing to work on it constantly, i would like a reliable amount, but fun to mash the pedal, amount of boost. How much is too much for my motor internals, and what is the safe amount?

I plan to piece the kit together and make all my own headers for the job as well as all the hot and cold side piping.

I do appreciate all the help and info, and im very sorry if this is comes off as a dumbass post lol, but im just trying to learn.

Thanks

Here is the car in question!

nice looking car ........
Old 04-09-2016, 10:34 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Why the FITech EFI and 6010? Seems like a huge step backwards from even stock EFI.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slowlsx do you have more pics in a build thread or facebook page? I am doing a 72 nova and would love to see more. Awesome car. Stance, wheels etc.!! Is it still a leaf car? It doesn't look like it.

Quick Reply: 6.0 LQ9 with FItech EFI , wanting to add turbo....