Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Good Boost Reference Fuel Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LULZ...

Hardly, I was hoping you would share your experiences as to why you feel that way. It's a pretty blanket statement considering NPT has been supplying CNG delivery systems for decades upon decades, as well as water & propane systems, I would like to know where your thought process lies.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:53 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let me help stevieturbo out a bit here.

What he meant to say is that NPT threads are **** compared to ORB fittings.

gtfoxy,

how much CNG or propane is your using? lol
Old 12-08-2015, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Obviously something is only good, bad or better when compared to something else, & only in a specifc context.

The examples are, of-course, contextual. If it can work for those applications it can work in certain automotive ones as well.

ORB fittings, like the Areo's use, have its advantages, in certain circumstances. That is not, necessarily, a reason to make such blanket statements. A lot of noobs probably browse this forum & when they read stuff like that they can develop un-informed biases, not understanding the context. If ORB was so readily available as to have taps & dies at the local hardware store it may well become a viable Union interface system. But it isn't.

I have used both & understand the circumstances of those applicational downfalls. It revolves, in my experience, more to do with the material & tolerance spec'ing from the component manufacturers that leads to issues with NPT.

First off NPT was not specifically designed for Al. It's torsion & tension interface was designed primarily for much harder materials like steel.

Second, NPT needs a certain thread-depth to function properly. ie., to seal without stripping.

There are gong to be of-course issues with stripping threads on NPT unions with Aluminum. The biggest issue here has always been aeroquip, & others, tolerancing fittings & inadequate surface hardening. For those that don't know the intricacies, NPT has a min-max OD thread size of the taper for each ID. So a hole tapped for NPT has a range tolerance as well.

One manufacturer of a certain part can set up this tolerance, say for a hole where the min-max ID is on one end of the spectrum & a different manufacturer can set up the OD of the threads to another end of the tolerance spectrum. If this is the case the NPT fitting will only thread in a couple threads & strip, or thread in as far as it can & not create a seal.

Aeroquip has always been the biggest issue with NPT. They size their OD's on the large end of the spectrum so almost every time it will only thread in a couple threads & then strip. Aeroquip NPT fittings are, therefore, something I avoid.

Parker & Russel, on the other hand, make very nice stainless & anodized steel fittings in NPT-AN that have always spec'd properly & worked perfectly for me.

Bottom line is avoid inferior spec'd NPT products. Not NPT as a whole.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 12-08-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Bottom line...NPT is ****.

By nature they're destructive to the threads they pair with and they seal poorly. It's common knowledge additional sealers are required, whether tape, paste, etc etc

So a taper thread designed to seal because it's tapered tight into its mate...but doesnt seal so additional sealer is needed anyway.

Really..what's the point in that ?

And then use it a few times and the threads are fucked anyway especially as said when soft metals are used lol

One of the worst possible options you could ever use on a fuel system
Old 12-08-2015, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no issues with the NPT fittings I use, even after repeated assembly/ disassembly, with fuel systems. I have fitting from over a decade ago that I have been using at various times. YMOV's.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 12-08-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:51 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Look at how bad the NPT threads are in an edelbrock fuel rail. I seriously think they cut those with a chisel and hammer. I can't tell you how many of those I have had to repair. It is a guaranteed failure at some point if the threads are not dressed before use. Most guys don't know/do this.

And guess what, I think edelbrock is the only company still putting NPT threads in aluminum fuel rails.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when using the Aeromotive 13129, will it use the straight cut fittings to mate into the regulator? Not trying to hijack but this thread goes hand in hand.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blown06
Look at how bad the NPT threads are in an edelbrock fuel rail. I seriously think they cut those with a chisel and hammer. I can't tell you how many of those I have had to repair. It is a guaranteed failure at some point if the threads are not dressed before use. Most guys don't know/do this.

And guess what, I think edelbrock is the only company still putting NPT threads in aluminum fuel rails.
Aluminum is not the material for NPT unless it is properly surface hardened. Aluminum rails I had I would strip the anodizing off the rail & fitting, thread it in & weld it.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I certainly did not want to stir up any controversy, I appreciate every ones input. The whole idea behind this regulator is that I know I will need something to support 800+ hp. Just trying to get an idea on parts. I will be changing out the rails and lines to support it all as well.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:36 AM
8 Second Truck Club

This is our thread now.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Spade
Well I certainly did not want to stir up any controversy, I appreciate every ones input. The whole idea behind this regulator is that I know I will need something to support 800+ hp. Just trying to get an idea on parts. I will be changing out the rails and lines to support it all as well.
Really there are loads.

I've used Magnafuel, Edelbrock, Turbosmart and Aeromotive all with good success. It's an important part, I see no reason to look for the cheapest model out there.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Really there are loads.

I've used Magnafuel, Edelbrock, Turbosmart and Aeromotive all with good success. It's an important part, I see no reason to look for the cheapest model out there.
Agreed.

I have used the Aero & Edel units as well as Mallory.

Quick Reply: Good Boost Reference Fuel Regulator