Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 Turbo Build/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 Turbo Build/Questions

I finally pulled my motor and found a minor issue. Simple fix and I'm finally ready to get started with the Turbo build. I also pulled the heads and found that the motor is a LQ4, so;

-LQ4 Motor
-317 Heads with LS9 Gasket and head studs
-Z06 cam (.550 lift)
-LS7 lifters
-96mm intake and throttle body

The turbo will be a 76mm .96 A/R and I will be switching to the car to E85. Just did a little research and the car is street driven so I will be running 10 pounds of boost until I have the funds to build and convert the car to a 4L80e. I did some more research and it seems that I can run the car without an intercooler as long as I stay in the ballpark of 10 pounds like I am planning. I would like to run the downpipe directly out of the side bumper but might run it to the back through a muffler to keep the noise down...for now. Car has a 4L60e with a "stage 2" build from a local shop, a 2800 convertor, and 3.73 rear gears.

The kit will be purchased in a week or two and then I will be purchasing Siemens 80lb injectors. The car already has a Walbro 255 in tank pump. I believe that is everything, now onto the questions.

-I did some reading on the 80lb injectors and noticed they sell EV1 and EV6 injectors; what are the differences in the 2 and which ones should I purchase?

- I'm assuming I will run out of pump, but I am seeing mixed results and opinions. I would imagine the setup should put down 550 to the tires or more so which pump could I switch to if needed. I looked through a few forums on the fuel pumps and people seem to run the Walbro 450 with E85 but I am open to suggestions.

Ultimately, I am trying to get my feet wet in the turbo world and continue to build the car to go bigger and better next time around. Any and all answers/comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-27-2015, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

- Ev1 vs EV6 is the connector on the injector. assuming you have a 1998 camaro, your connector is EV1, so buy those so you don't have to change the connector or get adapters

you have some way to go, get the car running before overwhelming yourself. can't choose a fuel pump without a power goal. the walbro you mentioned will achieve that 550 you also mentioned.

Last edited by FourG63 97GST; 12-27-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

exactly the response I was looking for, the car has an aftermarket intake, but I was assuming the difference was in the connectors. Thank you. Speed Inc. does my tunes so I will also contact them with regards to the fuel pump they recommend. My car will be street driven on 275 et's that are only measuring 26"...Traction I can forsee being an issue even at low boost that I plan to stay at. Once I get the ball rolling, I'll post some pictures to update this post, I just wanted to make sure I had the pieces in place to make sure I was getting enough fuel. to be able to run E85.

Thank you for the response!
Old 02-19-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

got the motor buttoned up and will add pics tonight once I reinstall the intake. Headers and crossover pipe fit along with the 88mm turbo, but i have a question on ceramic coating the stainless steel. Does the stainless need to be ceramic coated to keep heat down or would I be okay without it. I was quoted $250 to have the headers and crossover pipe coated. Car will not see rain or bad weather so corrosion is not an issue other than the dew that occurs in the garage. I'll post pictures of the motor with the kit on along with the turbo. The CX racing kit can fit the 88mm turbo for anyone that has questions on that, i'll take any pictures that are needed to show clearance.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If under hood temps are a problem then yes, or wrap them. I'm in the middle of the same dilemma myself. I I've the way the stainless looks but I need to do something
Old 02-20-2016, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you're running twin turbos on high boost though, correct? How quickly do you have under hood temp issues
Old 02-22-2016, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 02-22-2016, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to have the hot side coated and figured I would ask. The Griffen stand up radiator is next on the list and I'm going to try to run it with the stock fans. I'm hoping there will be enough space so I don't have to rewire anything
Old 04-27-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

between work and trying to finish the house, I haven't had much time to progress on this, however, i recent purchased the wastegate, blow off valve, and 80lb injectors. I am stuck on the fuel pump. I am only going for 10-12 pounds on this setup which i am seeing put down between 570rwhp and 660rwhp. The number literally means nothing to me as I know the transmission will not last long. With this said, I am looking at the Walbro 450 for the E85 capability. Can I install the 450 in the 98' Camaro fuel tank without major modification. I have read you can, I also read that there is a bit of fuel surge issues at idle, which my tuner said wouldn't be an issue. This will complete the major parts and then all I will need is the turbo oil return/feed lines which I am also buying tonight and then the boost controller/gauge.

Does anyone have experience with the Walbro 450 yet? Thank you for all the replies thus far

Quick Reply: LQ4 Turbo Build/Questions