Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fmic guys!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 582 Likes on 453 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm also curious about this as I'm in the same boat lol. I had a bunch of people tell me not to worry about cutting it at the 5-6lb level but that at 8-10lbs I'd need the air flow. Can CALL911 send some pics of the I/C air-dam because that sounds like the way to go. I've also seen guys cut along the notches for the plate insert and leave the inside edges of the two large holes which looks nice, good air flow and rigidity.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by The ******
I'm also curious about this as I'm in the same boat lol. I had a bunch of people tell me not to worry about cutting it at the 5-6lb level but that at 8-10lbs I'd need the air flow. Can CALL911 send some pics of the I/C air-dam because that sounds like the way to go. I've also seen guys cut along the notches for the plate insert and leave the inside edges of the two large holes which looks nice, good air flow and rigidity.
Paging Ben, can you post some pic's? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 12-30-2015, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The ******
Sup ******. Your at 5-6lbs? Lol. Thought you had at 8lbs. I finally got mine started and road tested last night but have oil and power steering leaks I need to work out before I get it tuned.

I'm gonna try it with it uncut for now until I need to cut it.

Last edited by Eiyse98ls1; 12-30-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob is right, I was successful in creating an air dam to direct airflow to my FMIC without backing up my front bumper. My IAT's always stayed nice and cool. I was running 13-15#'s of boost and 700 RWHP with my D1SC.

I'll try to dig up some pictures.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I really didn't want to cut my front bumper, but decided to go for it knowing I would have to eventually. I just didn't want people to be able to see the intercooler, but with the black billet grill it's super hard to tell there's an intercooler behind there

Ignore dirty car/ un cleared bumper

Last edited by SteenH; 12-31-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Here are the pics from my setup. The first one was from Bobs old shop (EPP) when it was first installed. I removed the area behind the fog lights so some air could go directly to the FMIC. But when the lights are installed, you can't really see the FMIC from the front.

The next thing I did from the bottom of the bumper was brought down the air dam to force more air up towarards the FMIC. There is also a metal lip you see in the picture. That lip angles up in the back throwing more air directly to the FMIC. These things allowed enough airflow to my FMIC to keep my IAT's cool even with 15#'s of boost and 700 RWHP and I did not have to sacrifice hacking up my front bumper.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Awesome, thanks for posting the pic's Ben! Bob

Old 12-31-2015, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Awesome, thanks for posting the pic's Ben! Bob
For all the help you have given me over the years, it's the least I can do.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by CALL911
For all the help you have given me over the years, it's the least I can do.
Thanks Ben, you have a Happy New Year's! Bob

Old 12-31-2015, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Here are the pics from my setup. The first one was from Bobs old shop (EPP) when it was first installed. I removed the area behind the fog lights so some air could go directly to the FMIC. But when the lights are installed, you can't really see the FMIC from the front.

The next thing I did from the bottom of the bumper was brought down the air dam to force more air up towarards the FMIC. There is also a metal lip you see in the picture. That lip angles up in the back throwing more air directly to the FMIC. These things allowed enough airflow to my FMIC to keep my IAT's cool even with 15#'s of boost and 700 RWHP and I did not have to sacrifice hacking up my front bumper.

Happy New Years y'all!
Thanks for the pictures. Nice LT1!! Running an LS1 in there? So is the factory air dam still their? Can't really tell from pictures maybe because I'm using a mobile. If I try that out I still would have to cut the bumper as of now because the lower part of the bumper sit right under the IC and bracket/mount. I'm thinking I would have to trim bumper underneath then make an air dam like you did and mount it directly to the mounts for the IC but then may block the factory air dam.

Thanks for the pics and ideas guys.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eiyse98ls1
Happy New Years y'all!
Thanks for the pictures. Nice LT1!! Running an LS1 in there? So is the factory air dam still their? Can't really tell from pictures maybe because I'm using a mobile. If I try that out I still would have to cut the bumper as of now because the lower part of the bumper sit right under the IC and bracket/mount. I'm thinking I would have to trim bumper underneath then make an air dam like you did and mount it directly to the mounts for the IC but then may block the factory air dam.

The TTI Single Street kit retains AC and keeps the bumper core intact. The FMIC is right in front of the AC condenser coil.

I'm actually going to be moving towards a larger FMIC in the bumper once I go higher boost and larger turbo. T76 with 5 lbs right now.

To keep the stealth look, just paint your intercooler and piping black. With a grill insert you won't be able to tell it's there.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Pat man,
Thanks for the option but I already have the huron speed kit installed. Plus I have my stock fans in that location now.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Do you have more close up pics of your air dam? I am trying to make one of my own now and would like to see how you have it mounted to the intercooler.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Eiyse98ls1
Happy New Years y'all!

It's still an LT1 under the hood and making the Procharged 700 RWHP

It is a modded factory air dam. The sides were cut off then bolted to the center of the air dam to bring it down further. This was done to keep my engine temps lower as it forced more air to the radiator than before.

Originally Posted by onefastgta
Do you have more close up pics of your air dam? I am trying to make one of my own now and would like to see how you have it mounted to the intercooler.
The best picture I have or could take is really the middle picture. The air scoop is bolted into the bottom of the bumper and it angles up in the back forcing air to the FMIC. I've tried taking closer pics before but there's just no room under there to get a close picture and still see what you are actually looking at under there.

The air scoop comes down about an inch and a half. It is not attached to the FMIC but to the bumper. It was made out of a thin piece of metal.

Quick Reply: Fmic guys!