Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Catch Can Routing Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Turbo Catch Can Routing Question

I have the Mike Norris catch can and after a few pulls, I've had some seepage on my oil pan gasket. I have a feeling that the routing of the catch can needs to be changed and wanted to get some opinions. Please let me know what you would suggest changing.

Thank you.

6.0 with 88/83 turbo
Stock ls1 Valley cover
2-38mm wastegates
1-50mm BOV

Name:  Capture_zps59nts3se.png
Views: 8004
Size:  27.3 KB
Old 12-29-2015, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You need a one way check valve in line to keep from boosting the crankcase. Check out this thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ing-ok-15.html

And where is your fresh air source?
Old 12-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not have a fresh air source in this routing.

I assume I need to do this.

http://www.andersonperformance.net/p...1extfiflow.jpg
Old 12-30-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Fresh air source will help with getting clean air in but wont help with your pressurization problem. You need that check valve if your going to run a stock pcv configuration
Old 12-31-2015, 12:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im venting valve covers direct to a catch can, no issues for 2 seasons with 22 psi
Old 01-01-2016, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
Fresh air source will help with getting clean air in but wont help with your pressurization problem. You need that check valve if your going to run a stock pcv configuration
Its not optional, its mandatory!

Originally Posted by lower_the_dynamite
I have the Mike Norris catch can and after a few pulls, I've had some seepage on my oil pan gasket. I have a feeling that the routing of the catch can needs to be changed and wanted to get some opinions. Please let me know what you would suggest changing.

Thank you.

6.0 with 88/83 turbo
Stock ls1 Valley cover
2-38mm wastegates
1-50mm BOV

This is worst case scenario incorrect for an FI set up. Think logically about it-when you are in boost, where can the air go? If thats a sealed can you are literally just presurizing the motor! I just bought a turbo car that had a "bad motor or turbo" for pennies on the dollar. Car smoked like a fog machine in boost. When I got it home realized he had the sealed catch can hooked up wrong (routed like yours). I added a vaccume source to the turbo and re routed the PCV. With NO other changes, I have driven the car over a month with ZERO smoke or oil leakege.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help with my routing as well. How would I route a turbo setup with an ls6 Valley cover on a 2004 5.3 block?
Old 01-01-2016, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coltboostin
Its not optional, its mandatory!

This is worst case scenario incorrect for an FI set up. Think logically about it-when you are in boost, where can the air go? If thats a sealed can you are literally just presurizing the motor! I just bought a turbo car that had a "bad motor or turbo" for pennies on the dollar. Car smoked like a fog machine in boost. When I got it home realized he had the sealed catch can hooked up wrong (routed like yours). I added a vaccume source to the turbo and re routed the PCV. With NO other changes, I have driven the car over a month with ZERO smoke or oil leakege.
Can you elaborate on the part in bold? You ran a manifold vacuum line to the turbo or you ran a line from the inlet of the turbo to the top of the catch can?
Old 01-02-2016, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess I should specify- Vacuum source to the INTAKE of the turbo. You always want something pulling pressure OUT of the motor-under low load, the vacuum in the intake will do this via the PCV. When in boost, the vacuum created in the intake track (or exhaust of you go that route) will pick up the slack. In a perfect world you always want at worst ambient pressure in your catch can, at best a vacuum environment of the positive crankcase pressure always has somewhere to go, and does not have to find a place (like a seal) to exit!

You dont need 2 catch cans, but here is an example of what I am saying.

If you dont have an intake to your turbo-you can shoehorn a barb onto your air filter- or use this in the exhaust

The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (08-07-2023)
Old 01-03-2016, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got what you were saying but it was a little obscure for those that haven't done it.

Good explanation & diagram, though.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree. Hope this helps!
Old 01-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone post a routing with an ls6 valley cover...on3 78mm turbo, and a breather catch can??

Quick Reply: Turbo Catch Can Routing Question