Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vortech non intercooled: still happy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Tici,
These guys know what they're talking about. I failed to mention in the PM conversation that we had that I'm running more timing than the vortech superchips programer give you. I beleive I'm running ~21degrees and I think the vortech is in the ~17-19degree area. A non aftercooled kit wouldn't be able to run as much timing safely..

As far as getting a good tune, the tune Vortech gives you with the kit would be a safe tune, use it until you get some extra money to buy the aftercooler, and ls1 edit to dyno tune the car.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

well...
non intercooled kit $4100
TTS LT's with cats and Y $1300
Corsa $700
atap $300
edit $450
FIPK $300
hypertech -hypercrap $300 (as doorstopper)
shipping to Switzerland $500
a lot of time (self installed) $$$
intercooler alone $1200

Was it necessary to install the stall converter?

well: with all this money I could also buy a motorbike (occasion) and have a lot of fun also.
Or the supercharger + the bike! ($$$ ouch!)
Old 06-14-2004, 01:14 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greentahoe,The Vortech kit comes with everything you need including the injectors it also has a real conservative tune with it to for the cost of the supercharger? He already has the headers installed he doesn't need the stall or the Alky kit and he already has Ls1edit so cancell that $1000 bucks. I unserstand where you are coming from I've been there. But he is in a country that does inspections on these car they want to know every thing HP emmisons ETC.. so Stefano is just trying to get everyone's opinion on the after cooler I gave him mine witch was to go ahead a get the aftercooler and if he was that concerned about hurting him reliability then he could use a bigger pulley to decrease the power ETC... I know we are all power hunger over here and spoiled on what we can do but he is limited a little and he just wants something a little more than the other guy. Stefano I still don't seea problem with using the 8-9# kit on your car you said that you drive very conservitively and if that is the case I don't know why it would not last a very long time with out any problems just because the power is available doesn't mean that you will always be using it ETC... JMO call me again if you want to talk more I see more people argee with me in the intercooler being a better choice, but it is easy for us to spend your money. Oh an I would not count on finding an aftercooler for sale used Vortech has only sold around 500 of these kit so it limits how many are even out there for you to buy used. And besides if you get it new you know you will have all the parts and you wont have to go chasing some thing down ETC... Let me know if I can help you more. See Ya!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:20 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Stefano,
You don't have to have a stall converter these guys are just giving you ideas to get the most performance out of your car not what you need. Vortech provides you with every thing you "need". Puting a tran cooler on your car is a good idea for longevity but not a must for the way you drive for sure (From what you told me.)
Jeff
Old 06-14-2004, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

YEFF YOU'VE GOT IT! THIS IS HOW THINGS ARE.

I'm also speed addicted but as you said here where I live we can't do the same things as in the US
Here they bust your a$$ just for nothing and to add just a tiny tiny 5# vortech is already something criminal. (eh remeber the song "tiny weeny"? the chick also? mhhh!)
If I have an accident with the blower installed the insurance won't pay the complete costs (or maybe nothing!) because the car wasn't stock or the extra power wasn't declared. So imagine if I hit a pedestrian...

Ok Jeff, I'm gonna cally you, maybe today or tomorrow.

Thanks for all your comments! (conservative comments and racing comments also...)

Stefano
Old 06-14-2004, 08:10 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sheesh, if you already knew everything this guy needed why is there even a post here?
Old 06-14-2004, 10:46 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Cause if he did just what one person was telling him would you feel confident? I don't think I would either he is just trying to get other opinions and to make sure he is making an informed decision it is a lot of money and risk on his part. He thought that there might be other people running the non intercooled/aftercooled set up that could tell him more ETC... I suggested for him to ask around also so that when he decides what he is going to do he feels good about his decision.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Right!
However: I'm having different answers about the systems. Like for every modification there are different results: in many cases the result depends on the specific application. I just try to figure out which system better fits my needs.

If I had enough money to buy just the first POS, try it and maybe trow it in the garbage, in that case I wouldn't stick around with those cars.
Would you? F8LPONY? I'd just go with an Italian sport car, already tuned, already with 500 PS (not HP!) and having someone to clean it and warm it up for me...

In my next life I'll do it!

Which one:a Lamborghini! (of course)
Old 06-14-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

We (F8LPONY and I) are just giving you an idea of what it takes most to really make the power they expect to make from the basic setup. On truck apps (I know you have a car) vortech claims 371hp with just the kit. With a stock airbox, catback magnaflow, and wideband/dyno tune my truck only made 275hp!! I guess finding someone with a similiar setup in your area is going to be difficult. I had to get a stall to stay in some sort of powerband. The decision is definately a personal one, but most end up a little dissapointed with a "basic" setup. Good luck
Old 06-14-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ouch! 100 HP difference is something you feel... or better said you don't feel at all!
It's true: the advertised numbers are always BS, but I really had the impression that a blower was something different.
I mean: we have 1 bar on our heads which is about 14.5 PSI (sorry I think metric), 5 PSI is 1/3 of it and should give 1/3 more air and als so much more power. For a LS1 about 400 HP. Similar for the 9 PSI kit... about 480 HP. Not too far away from the advertising.
This was my idea of "true numbers" about superchargers.
But ok, if I think at the results I had until now with LT's and FIPK: it was better to keep the money!
Oh please: don't tell me it's the same old story...
Old 06-14-2004, 06:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,207 Likes on 773 Posts

450-500rwhp is attainable with the 9psi aftercooled kit, I have seen it many times.

Vortech makes great stuff and it's very consistent.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Inspector12
. Oh an I would not count on finding an aftercooler for sale used Vortech has only sold around 500 of these kit so it limits how many are even out there for you to buy used. And besides if you get it new you know you will have all the parts and you wont have to go chasing some thing down ETC... Let me know if I can help you more. See Ya!
agreed....

I think i bought the only used aftercooler i've seen in the past 14 months online, and it wasn't even advertised for sale, just somebody who put apost about having some extra parts, and i snatched them up.

In your situation, a new kit will be ideal, as searching down parts for me, has been hard, and timeconsuming, and being in the US makes it a LOT easier for shipping, ect. I can't imagine doing it overseas anywhere.

Ryan.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK guys: slowly slowly you are convincing me to get the intercooled... I don't even know if I have to be happy for the extra HP or sad 'cause of the less $$ in my pocket.

What I really don't understand: Vortech has just two kits for our cars. not 100, just 2. How is it possible that nobody has the non intercooler to tell me how it is?
Until now - and in different forums the same... kinda of frustrating... I'll probably HAVE TO go for the intercooled!
Old 06-14-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

I wish I wouldve gone with a Radix intercooled kit. Kits are a bit different for you car guys, but Im slowly beginning to regret not getting some kind of intercooler or I may have one custom done. For your purposes I would spend a little more and get the aftercooler. It makes everything easier and less maintanance.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:33 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Greentahoe I put down 33Xhp and 38X tq in my 96 truck with a Whipple and a set of JBA's and it had 100k on it ran consistent 13.8-13.6 @ 98-99 with out posi too. The cyntrifical superchargers ar not ideal for heavy truck they need tq and the Whipple is at full boost(6PSI) by 2200 rpm and stays there. So I see why you need the stall with a Vortech they have to build rpms.I think the Radix S/C are the thing to have on trucks right now I am sure they work very well there is acompany that makes a intercooler for the Whipple's like the radix but very pricey.Whipple also offers an intercooler for them also it is just like the vortech design. Stefano there is a guy here running the nonintercooled verion but he made his own intercooler ETC... he did not runit long with the standard kit he was always planning on making it faster. So I don't think he is a good example of one. I haven't seen too many people with the V9 kit that didn't make good numbers like I told you it is a quality kit. Sorry I missed your call today you missed me by 5 minutes LOL!
Old 06-15-2004, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh! this was from the company, but please dont call this number back, it wasn't from my office.
Let me try today from home.

"See" ya! - Stefano
Old 06-17-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Today I ordered a non intercooled Vortech.
There aren't perfect solutions, but I think this kit better fits my needs.
It's also upgradable (cooler and pulley).
I ordered the satin: the engine isn't polished also...

Thanks a lot to all of you! It was a big and very instructing chat.
I'll post the results as soon as the kit will be installed.

Stefano

Quick Reply: Vortech non intercooled: still happy?