Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost Actuated exhaust cutouts and more boost

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Boost Actuated exhaust cutouts and more boost

Hi guys,

I have an 05 Corvette with an LS2, Heads, Cam, M112 Supercharger, 102mm TB, and a full length exhaust. Made about 560whp on a crap tune. I am running 9lbs of boost. I am having the car re tuned in the spring time; meanwhile I am trying to figure out a nice way to squeeze about 60hp more from my setup. LS2 is a stock bottom end and my blower is tiny so heat could become an issue. I have a magnaflow exhaust on the car which is not known for being the best but it sounds good for the street and isn't annoying. My plan was to add a set of electric cutouts just past the headers, but I don't want to listen to the noise all the time. I ran across a company that makes a set of stupidly expensive boost actuated exhaust cutouts. I like the concept. Only noisy at WOT. I am figuring if i pulley down just one more size with a decent tune and a set of cut outs I can hit my goal safely. SP Cutouts are $450 a piece. Is there any better cost effective solution that's not going to leak other than these? I have been searching the web and i am not finding too much info on this concept at all.

DG
Old 01-06-2016, 01:08 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

loudvalves.com, they are new
Old 01-06-2016, 01:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an sp boost activated cutout on my turbo car. It is pretty awesome. But yes ridiculously expensive and the flange you need they charge extra for. They machine it every so different from a standard 3 bolt flange so you need to buy theirs.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:30 AM
10 Second Club

Give the loud valve a try, soo much cheaper. Its such a basic thing.

I have a 4inch so still stuck with sp
Old 01-06-2016, 02:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I would try to find a set of Z06 mufflers with the butterfly valves. I love the ones on my 08 Vette.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:14 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you arn't sure and just want to dyno test the idea of a cut-out, simply remove the exhaust system at that point, or use a cheap version on the OEM exhaust system (throw away system if it doesn't work out) just to see what sort of gains you will be getting, before spending big $$ on a permanent soln
Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

That tune couldn't have been that bad, those are great numbers for that small blower on a LS2.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
That tune couldn't have been that bad, those are great numbers for that small blower on a LS2.
Let me make a correction to my previous statement. The tune produced great numbers for the tiny blower I am running, but it drove like crap. My ECM recently fried itself, so i replaced it and my buddy threw a base tune in there for me, lightly tweaked. Neither of us know much at all about tuning. Car is cammed, and ironically it finally drivers amazing, just not in boost. I am going to find a tuner that can get it straightened out in the spring. I was looking to pull a little more out of it anyway. Just have to be careful of the stock bottom end.

Ill give those loud valves a try. I am worried about leaks but $400+ each is just too much for something so simple.

DG
Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Launching!

A hobbs switch and some creative wiring could easily replicate that control on the electronic cutouts of your choice.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeMama's GTO
A hobbs switch and some creative wiring could easily replicate that control on the electronic cutouts of your choice.
I thought of this and variations of it. The problem is, most of the cutout designs are not intended to be run at partial openings, and having them open gradually under pressure can ruin them, or at the very least I have had them stop shutting completely and start to rattle. I still run them like this; it just means you need to be more able to remove the device for maintenance (use a V-band clamp and easy location, also loctite every nut and bolt inside the device before using it initially as they tend to rattle free)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

The electric cutouts are too slow to react. Getting in and out of boost would not work well with them taking 3-4 seconds to open and close.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:11 AM
Banned

One thing I do notice that is nice is that the performance of the engine seems to be unique at certain open positions, my favorite is about 25% open on my engine, seems to really wake up the low end torque. I am sure it has something to do with a critical exhaust gas velocity. This is a feature you can not adjust on traditional exhaust systems. I intend to dyno test this "feeling" I have really soon. I am guessing a specific position is worth some torque from 2000 to 4000rpm on my car.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Given the small blower ...intercooler or not ? Chuck a meth kit onto it and you'll easily be able to release more power and not need to worry about noisy exhaust add ons.

it'll certainly be much better value than the exhaust cutouts.

If you really want a noisy exhaust/leak and some sort of cutout, if these are still available these would be more reliable than the electronic versions and to a degree offer variable opening with boost. Not sure if they sell them with different pressure cans or not, but they're bound to.
You could play with the lever arm to adjust opening rates etc

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/suppo...epower-284725/

Quick Reply: Boost Actuated exhaust cutouts and more boost