Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Alternator relocation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator relocation question

Sorry for another thread on this topic but couldn't find a clear answer for tall valve covers and keep PS.

Setup is a Thompson 370 with ls3 heads and Huron Speed V1 twin kit utilizing flipped truck manifolds. Running the Proform Ls1 valve covers and Holley fuel rails also. The included alt relo bracket doesn't look like it is going to work. It has major clearance issues with the valve covers and is very tight to the fuel rails.

I see some other brackets that use the smaller truck alternator or there is one from speedway that moves the PS up and the alt up on the drivers side. Just not clear about hood clearance or tower clearance in an fbody. I haven't ordered a hood yet so I can buy more of a cowl or wide Sunoco if needed.

Just curious if anyone has found a good option. If not I guess it's back to stock valve covers but man I really like their look. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try and find some pics but I has a similar issue, only I couldn't mount the alt down low because of the subframe. I took a ls1 alt and bracket from 98-2002? and mounted it up top. One bolt on the bracket will mount to the head then you will have to make a small bracket to go from the other hole on the bracket to the head. I didn't run p/s but their was enough room to make a bracket for it to fit somewhere or their may have been a bracket someone makes already I just never looked into it. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Pictures are always great. Anyone else tackle this issue?
Old 01-18-2016, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know if it pertains to your problem or not but I'm running a Huron Speed V1 kit and had to move the alternator to the top passenger side.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Yep. That is what I am trying to do but it is hitting the valve covers up there. I will try to get a better picture this evening. May just be out of luck unless I make a custom bracket or switch to a manual rack and move alternator up. It is primarily a street car so not sure about a manual rack. May just pick up a set of stocker valve covers for the short term unless some other ideas come along. Thanks.

Ross
Old 01-18-2016, 04:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I just went out and looked at mine and there's noway you get a taller valve cover on there, there's only a quarter of an inch if that between the alternator valve cover.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Obviously the bracket can be made to look alot better it was just a temporary fix, but worked very well.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Looks like there's plenty of room to me (unless your engine bay is narrow).
Mount the alternator around 3 o'clock from the t/b where your car stand handle and car stand leg is
and mount the p/s under it a bit closer to the middle of the engine.
I bought an overpriced bracket kit from the States claiming to suit my application..
a lot of f*cking around, cutting, shaving, modifying, swearing, angry emails and weeks later, I got it to fit.
Better off making your own brackets or at least design the shapes and holes on cardboard or wood and have a shop make it for you out of alloy.

Last edited by ChevFTW; 01-19-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

How about something like this. This is in a Mustang though, using the big truck alt. and PS pump. It was a 120.00 on ebay from Speed Engineering. An idler pulley can be added to make the top of the belt run lower.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...psuwsrstlh.jpg
Old 01-20-2016, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the ideas. Picked up a set of stock height valve covers for now. May try to get more creative once the car is up and running or end up selling the LSX Proforms.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

I went with the low mount for clearance/clean look

I went with the low mount

Used the stock bracket, you can see in this pic

Quick Reply: Alternator relocation question