Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Have no clue what I'm doing

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have no clue what I'm doing

I just bought a 2006 Sierra short bed single cab and I am wanting to do a turbo setup with a 4.8 I want 500-600 rwhp but I know very little about turbos. I want to keep it as cheap as possible but still make good power and be reliable I plan on doing cam/ springs timing set oil pump and rod bolts but as far as the turbo components I have no clue where to begin and I also don't know what to do about fuel also I don't know if it would be stupid to do, but I would like it to be a 6 speed. My intentions for this truck is to drive daily and have a lot of fun in please help!! Thanks in advance
Old 03-19-2016, 03:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google/ thread search will answer any questions you have. Also, don't worry about the rod bolts.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.on3performance.com/shop/1...-turbo-system/

About the best bang for your buck. A lot of people don't like their stuff but we have had good success with it. Throw in 80lb injectors, cam and you are good. As for rod bolts, I agree with the above. Kit is also up-gradable.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Thank you for that looks like a decent kit for what I will be doing what's everyone's opinion on the 6 speed?
Old 03-20-2016, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

IMO, 6 speed is a fun weekend driver, not as much fun as a daily.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Your 90 mins from me. If you were closer I would just say bring it to me and I would build you whatever you want.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Your 90 mins from me. If you were closer I would just say bring it to me and I would build you whatever you want.
Where are you from? What would it roughly cost for a single setup?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:30 AM

I would build you whatever you want.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:28 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out the truck site Performancetrucks.net. Many similar builds. For that power a custom kit by JoeNova or a std KBRacing or Trick Turbo kit with the cheaper on3 70MM or BWS366, Triple 12 cam, drop in springs, fuel pump upgrade, 60~80 lb injectors, are about all you need. The stock oil pump, rod bolts etc are not Items I would mess with. Maybe install a new timing chain, and new oil pump O ring. The o rings shrink down after awhile and can suck air causing havoc. If high miles new lifters are a good idea. Many get away with stock head bolts at that power but I like a stud a lot better.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:36 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by stock48
Check out the truck site Performancetrucks.net. Many similar builds. For that power a custom kit by JoeNova or a std KBRacing or Trick Turbo kit with the cheaper on3 70MM or BWS366, Triple 12 cam, drop in springs, fuel pump upgrade, 60~80 lb injectors, are about all you need. The stock oil pump, rod bolts etc are not Items I would mess with. Maybe install a new timing chain, and new oil pump O ring. The o rings shrink down after awhile and can suck air causing havoc. If high miles new lifters are a good idea. Many get away with stock head bolts at that power but I like a stud a lot better.
Solid advice there. He doesn't chime in often, but when he does, it's always a good idea to listen.

KB and Trick both make good passenger side single turbo manifolds. I used KB on my Nova to simplify the setup, but had to relocate the wastegate from the crossover into the turbo manifold. Tricks manifold has the wastegate located in the manifold already.

If you want me to put together a setup for you, send me a PM and I will give you my number. You can always build it yourself or spend the extra on a kit, but you'll still need someone to tune.

I'm just north of Cincinnati. You're more than welcome to stop by and see the projects I have and see some of the ones Ive done.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Solid advice from a couple guys with some very, very solid builds. Good luck with your project, post up when you decide to do!
Old 03-21-2016, 11:56 PM
Teching In

thanks all for the input very much appreciated the only reason I was going to go ahead and do the oil pump and stuff is because I would be in there doing the chain and stuff and thought it may be a good idea especially since it's pretty high miles

Quick Reply: Have no clue what I'm doing