Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI GUYS NEED A FILTER? try this......

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's with the weird coloring of that filter?

Will that larger filter work with the stock inlet hat and tubing? Any idea where a filter that large can be picked up off the net? Got measurements? Over all dimensions and rubber coupler diameter would be nice to know. Maybe K&N makes that size already.

Mike
Old 06-16-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got mine from K&N, its the same one Black LS1 T/A is running, I just stuck the accordian tube inside the big one, seems to work ok so far.....
Old 06-16-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i bought one about the same size off of ebay for $10 for my stang. worked great
Old 06-16-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by buschman
What's with the weird coloring of that filter?

Will that larger filter work with the stock inlet hat and tubing? Any idea where a filter that large can be picked up off the net? Got measurements? Over all dimensions and rubber coupler diameter would be nice to know. Maybe K&N makes that size already.

Mike
Re-read the post, I listed the rubber coupler diameters and lengths 3.5id by 4 inches long, you will also need two 90 deg plastic elbows, you can get these from home depot(plumbing section) or find them elsewhere.

Whaddya mean work with the stock inlet hat, its working with mine?? I would never use that cheap accordian ****. You are better off fabbing up a hard tube like what I have going. As for the weird coloring like I said above, Don't mind the half oiled filter, I ran out and had to go buy some more

K&N does make one similar, it's the the one black LS1 t/a listed and the one KP and Bos, have. Kp even offered his up for someone else to use, you might want to pm him to see if he will let you use it. As for finding the same one as above elsewhere I don't know, I got mine from a little speed shop here in Albuquerque.......who knows where they get them from. Maybe type the name on the front of the filter into a search engine to see what comes up.

Bos, thats great I hope you do see more boost with less of a restriction hanging off the front of the inlet hat. Redyno it lets see if it made a difference on your ride
Old 06-16-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Quick search on the net of SB Motorsport Racing came up with
http://www.sbfilters.com/home.htm
The filter is 5-1/2 wide by 12 inches long with a 3.5 in opening and the PN is R35-12PS-C or R35-12AAFPS-C
or R35-12 or R35-12AAF Depending on what options you want...DL to PDF's to find out more...
Old 06-17-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I should share more with you guys. I did this 2 years ago. I hated the small filter that came with the Kit.

My Pics look exactly like yours.. Just 2 years ago..

Plus the way you have the plastic inlet mounted is perfect. Ever since I went with the Rubber hose with 2 hose clamps to mount the inlet hat with the head unit. did that 2 years ago as well. I have had no problems. I have a Metal inlet though.

clint
Old 06-17-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool deal, clint. I wish I would have got that big filter a lot earlier but I kept figuring it was too big until I said aww hell I can make it work

What else can you share though??? I still would love to see more pics of your ride, engine, cog set up and and that metal inlet too. Post em up
Old 06-17-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear this something i will defenitly be doing when my Front Mount goes in.
Kyle
Old 06-17-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

I was running this big bastard from K&N 4 x 12 http://www.geocities.com/marcs94z28/4inchinlettube.html

I ended up collapsing it and ditched it in favor of a 4 x 14 Green filter from www.greenfilterusa.com

The solid tube I got from www.mandrelbending.com and I was using a cobra head elbow but when the filter collapsed it sucked the cobra head elbow in and I found an imprint of the impeller in the back of the cobra head elbow so I put the orange flex hose from ATI back on it.

I just got a 4" steel donut from www.chassisshop.com and I cut it in half and will fab up a solid intake tube to replace the orange flex hose when I get a chance.

I kinda gave up on working on it for a while as I'm finally beating the **** out of it at the track

Marc
Old 06-18-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

I kinda gave up on working on it for a while as I'm finally beating the **** out of it at the track

I think I will do the same tomorrow.

Do you think it was collapsing the K&N because it wasn't open on the end like the one I pictured above? The one I replaced last year was cupping on the end. Is your greenfilter open on the end too?

Your car is really hauling, I have the video of you an noyzee saved to my computer
poor brad you made him go N2O lol.
J
Old 06-18-2004, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

Did any of u guys recorded a gain on a dyno or 1/4 mile from the filter swap?
Old 06-18-2004, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by frcefed98

I think I will do the same tomorrow.

Do you think it was collapsing the K&N because it wasn't open on the end like the one I pictured above? The one I replaced last year was cupping on the end. Is your greenfilter open on the end too?

Your car is really hauling, I have the video of you an noyzee saved to my computer
poor brad you made him go N2O lol.
J
I think it was a collection of things causing it to collapse, first I had the BOV venting to the atmosphere right above the air filter (custom front mount intercooler www.geocities.com/marc94z/intercooler.html ) and I had removed the splash guard so I think the BOV was kicking up alot of dirt and the filter was sucking it in and it collapsed and then it sucked in the cobra head elbow. I think the cobra head elbow might have been ok had the filter not collapsed but I won't try another one. The green filter is closed ended just like the K&N but it is made of stainless steel and is more rugged. I do not have any comparison track times or dyno runs between the two different filters as the car was falling on it's face at 5400 with the K&N / Cobra head elbow collapsing so I never got the car to run right till after I put on the Green filter.

Thanks, it does seem to go pretty good

Quick Reply: ATI GUYS NEED A FILTER? try this......