Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

02 T/A HuronSpeed Turbo Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 T/A HuronSpeed Turbo Build Thread

Finally decided to pull the trigger and build up a decently fast street car, so I sold off both my motorcycles, and began putting together a kit, with ample help and advice from LT1RAY. I've owned a c5 z06 and a c5 FRC prior to this car, and always wanted to but a blower on both of them, but never had the time, funds, or knowledge. Prior to this build, the most mechanical experience I've had was a 4l60e swap on my NBS Silverado. I've also been procrastinating putting together the build thread, and uploading photos, so at this point, I'm over a week into dis assembly. I will try to keep this thread updated as much as possible on, at least, a semi daily basis.

Parts list:
Turbo Kit: HuronSpeed V2 A/C Delete
Turbo: Turbonetics Billet 7575
Boost Controller: Innovate SCG-1
Clutch: LUK 04-905 Gold Package (LS7 Clutch, flywheel pressure plate)
Pusher Fans: 2x Derale 16925
Meth: AEM 30-3300
Pushrods: Brian Tooley 7.400 Chromoly
Valve Springs: PAC-1218
Head Bolts: Speedmaster PCE279.1023
Fuel Pump: Walbro 400
Fuel Pump Wiring: Racetronix F99
Fuel Injectors: Siemens Deka 60# Flow Matched
Map Sensor: EFISource LSX 3 Bar

I picked this car up from a Craigslist ad in Albuquerque, Ray also found the ad for me. About a 5 hour drive each way to pick it up in January, and luckily , the weather cooperated. Here's how she sat the day after driving home. Gave her a quick polish and rejex.

Picked up some WS6 wheels, after debating between them and TT2s. So far, the only mods are the wheels, and a Tick master cylinder to help my failing slave along, until we moved into our own house in March.

Shortly after moving, picked up the clutch kit, and got to work replacing it and the slave. The old one flywheel looked like it had been abused quite a bit.

Drove the car for about 700 miles after this, to give the clutch some time to break in, while I posted up the bikes for sale. This is when I decided to start a turbo build.

Ordered parts mid April, and they started showing up shortly after! Getting really excited by this point, but I still enjoyed driving the car stock, so I waited for boxes to start showing up before taking stuff apart.

This was over a week ago, started taking the front end of the car apart. Bumper, fans, airlid, etc.

It was late so I stopped there for a couple of days. Next up were the coil packs, fuel rails, and AC. Kinda worked on this here and there when I had time after work for several days.

Manifolds came off surprisingly easy. I had anti siezed all of the y-pipe bolts and catback bolts when changing the clutch, so this time they were also not a headache. The SLP catback wouldn't come apart however, pretty much stopped for a couple of days after getting mad banging on it with a mallet.

Came back eventually, and pulled out the plugs, intake manifold, and other misc parts.

Decided I wanted to drop the fuel tank yesterday. Was able to get the catback weasled out of there after I dropped the support above the panhard bar.

Also pulled the thermostat and block plugs, to let them drain at least overnight, since I had forgotten to when I drained out the radiator earlier in the week.

Found these nice lights left in my attic, was pretty excited to be able to keep working on the car late.

Fuel tank out finally. The garage reeked of gas for hours, and so did I. Did some reorganizing while I let some fans pull the fumes out for a while.

Here's how we're sitting right now. I'm going to try to get a lot of work done on the car over my weekend (Sun-Tue), and get the piping at least mocked up. The turbo has not shipped yet, as I understand they are on backorder for a while, but I will try to keep the thread updated with photos and commentary. I'll also take more detailed photos of the parts as they go in, everything Ray has pointed me towards has looked awesome. Thanks for taking the time to read it all!
Old 05-07-2016, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the same turbo in an M6 car. You'll love the way it feels. About the time you pull it into 4th gear and stand on it and it hits you will think "oh snap, that needle is moving faster then I expected."
Old 05-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rawr256
I'm running the same turbo in an M6 car. You'll love the way it feels. About the time you pull it into 4th gear and stand on it and it hits you will think "oh snap, that needle is moving faster then I expected."
I hope so! I'm stoked, should be a lot of fun!
Old 05-07-2016, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

good luck with the build, just finished mine. Don't know if you were planning on doing the coolant crossover for the rear of heads but now would be the time and its cheap and easy to do. Also I ran into some power steering line issues with mine which you may want to look into. My motor was a 02 WS6 also which had the p/s cooler in the upper radiator hose which made a tight tangle of p/s lines which are very close to all that heat. I ended up deleting the cooler ad got a set of braided p/s lines. Just a thought as they aren't too expensive and will be a lot easier to install before all that piping is in the way !
Old 05-07-2016, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JMD759
good luck with the build, just finished mine. Don't know if you were planning on doing the coolant crossover for the rear of heads but now would be the time and its cheap and easy to do. Also I ran into some power steering line issues with mine which you may want to look into. My motor was a 02 WS6 also which had the p/s cooler in the upper radiator hose which made a tight tangle of p/s lines which are very close to all that heat. I ended up deleting the cooler ad got a set of braided p/s lines. Just a thought as they aren't too expensive and will be a lot easier to install before all that piping is in the way !
Where did you get the braided p/s lines from?

OP looks very similar to my stack of parts! I'll be watching this as you go along
Old 05-08-2016, 05:22 AM
Staging Lane

I will be staying tuned to this, I am underway with a Huron Speed T4 kit install myself.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
Where did you get the braided p/s lines from?

OP looks very similar to my stack of parts! I'll be watching this as you go along

cbr performance. Huron sells them also but these were a little cheaper and seem to be the same, and the biggest reason I went with these is that you can choose 3 days flat rate shipping for about 13 bucks, I think Huron even needed 3-5 days to make them if they weren't stocked.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Update: Didn't have a whole lot of time to work on the car last weekend, due to helping some friends out, and family being in town, but I got a few things done.

Looked up my block serial, not an LS6, lol.

Yanked the alternator off...the negative post nut was completely siezed to the strap, so the post that threads into the alternator came out. I tried to get the nut off to no avail, ended up having to pop the cover off the alternator and spin it off.

Took the valve covers off. Doesn't look too bad.

Lifters off.

Rods out.

Also drained the power steering, and deleted the lines and cooler, since I got some steel braided ones with the Huron Speed kit, but I forgot to snap any pics of that.

Will hopefully get the springs and rods installed sometime over the new few days, and best part, the turbo gets delivered today!
Old 05-11-2016, 03:51 PM
"I MAID THEESE"

Received 675 Likes on 425 Posts

SUBDDDDDD Cant wait. wanna do a huron speed kit myself n my 370 ci
Old 05-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Got a decent amount done last night after work.

Pulled the block plugs, got all that coolant drained out without too much mess. Had to pull the starter to get to the passenger side, which I forgot to take a photo of.

Power steering pump off. Putting new lines from Huron Speed on there as well, so I'm deleting the cooler.

Heads off. Thinking I'm gonna order some rockers and lifters now.

And finally, got my last big part in

Old 05-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Teching In

The stock rockers are fine, though you may want to yank the needle bearings and put something a bit more stable in there.
For the A/C, are you planning on running custom lines? The OEM line (the one which loops out in front of the block) melted in mine- even with DEI velcro heat reflective wrap...
Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JackrabbitSlim
The stock rockers are fine, though you may want to yank the needle bearings and put something a bit more stable in there.
For the A/C, are you planning on running custom lines? The OEM line (the one which loops out in front of the block) melted in mine- even with DEI velcro heat reflective wrap...
AC is deleted, I'm doing the bearing upgrade, not entirely new rockers.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If your gonna go with the Derale fans, I would suggest running the higher amp truck alternator. Should bolt in place of the stock one and can pick them up at wrecking yards on the cheap. Just remember to get a new wire connector to plug into the alternator. Is a thread floating around somewhere about it.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rawr256
If your gonna go with the Derale fans, I would suggest running the higher amp truck alternator. Should bolt in place of the stock one and can pick them up at wrecking yards on the cheap. Just remember to get a new wire connector to plug into the alternator. Is a thread floating around somewhere about it.
Listen to this guy ^^^^. im battling this right now.

I have the huron speed t6 kit and so far so good. Good products!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Just putting in my experience I am running the Derale pushers and 750 watt amp with the stock alternator and it runs completely fine.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Just putting in my experience I am running the Derale pushers and 750 watt amp with the stock alternator and it runs completely fine.

No problem here too. dual derales and stock 02 alternator
Old 05-15-2016, 07:20 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Looking forward to this build thread! Thanks for the support and be sure to let me know of anything you may need, enjoy!!

Jon

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 05-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Realized I hadn't posted an update in about a week, but here's some progress photos.

Got my pan off earlier this week. It's actually in the shop getting a bung welded on, since I decided to go that route, hopefully will have it back today or tomorrow.

Also decided to clean up the heads. Need to finish on the block still, but I can't quite get to the back of it with the motor on stands.

Before:

And after, still a couple of spots I could maybe touch up on, but they look pretty good!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Got a decent amount done this weekend. Got my pan back from being welded, so I was excited to get that put back on. Picked up some torque wrenches and other misc tools.

Old motor mounts out. They looked pretty crappy, but that's to be expected at 90k miles.

New mounts in. I actually put the bolts on backwards in this photo, ended up having to flip them around to clear the block then torqued them down.

Got the mounts back on, the pan on and torqued, and EVENTUALLY all bolted back up to the K.

Lastly got the intercooler mounted up. Feels good to finally get something installed!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Nice build subscribed !! Am in the presses of turning my 02 Z

Quick Reply: 02 T/A HuronSpeed Turbo Build Thread