5.3 with lsa blower need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 with lsa blower need advice

Hey guys I am trying to decide what to do so here's my setup:

Bone stock iron block 5.3 with 862 heads added a Texas speed 220r cam

Later put a lsa supercharger on it with a 2.45 upper pulley and stock ls1 lower crank damper/pulley. Theist netted me 547 rwhp 533 rwtq max of 14# of boost. So I "had" to see what else I could squeeze out of it so I put an ATI overdrive damper on it and it made 18# of boost. Of course the car had another problem unrelated and had to stop dyno and tuning efforts.

My tuner said I should put 317 heads on with arp studs and I saw most use ls9 gaskets.

Appreciate all advice and feedback.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting those heads on will open up your tuning window on pump gas. Also a proper blower cam will really help pick up some HP too.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Yeah I can pick up his 317 heads on the cheap and have them put in pretty reasonable. I'll look into the AFR heads.

On the cam - I totally agree, I threw that one in there while motor was out of the car when I was running it before going insane on the blower trip... I would like to eventually swap that cam out but it will be a fair bitch with the motor in the car. Maybe i can do that a little later.

I have headers 1 7/8 primaries into 3 inch collector no cats and 2.5 mid to merge to 3in magnaflow exhaust and that's worked out ok so far.

He didn't seem concerened about detonation on the current setup, more concerned about lifting heads with 18# with it bone stock, no head bolts, etc... That's what lead into the conversation, and trying to make the best decision for the short term - 1 year...

Eventually I'd like to do a LQ4/9 6.0 build and replace the block, and leave the blower on there but with proper rectangular port heads, where I don't have to run adapter plates...

Another suggestion he made was back the crank pulley or the sc pulley down, to lessen boost and let it ride at 15# or less, but that's fairly costly as well, so its almost a catch 22, and hate not to get most bang for buck, and use the boost I'm making currently.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Is there a blower cam and head that you'd recommend?

Seems like 317 heads, ls9 cam, lsa cam, ls9 head gaskets, ARP studs/bolts are the consensus I've found so far.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:11 AM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those numbers are pretty stout! I would be stoked. What trans is in the car? Any track time yet?

Quick Reply: 5.3 with lsa blower need advice