Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSA Balancer Spacing on 5.3L, Pinning, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSA Balancer Spacing on 5.3L, Pinning, etc...

Hey Guys,

Got an interesting situation I am looking to fix and wanted to see if anyone else has encountered and solved this. Did a pretty good check of threads on this page and others and found nada.

I am adapting an LSA Blower to the 5.3L. I am using half LSA Accessories and half C5. So far no real show stoppers other than the scumbag who sold me the C5 accessories and giving me a POS rusted alternator. That is what I get for not checking stuff out in the box until a year after getting it!

Any how, I am using the blower drive off an LSA, including the balancer. Most things went on very easily and even with the adapter plates for the cathedral heads, I was able to get the stock 8 rib belt on...very happy about that.

My main point of concern is the balancer. Was able to align it very easily, but it is not bottomed out and there is a step from the end of the crank to the balancer presumably for a long crank snout on the LSA. Since the LSA had a woodruff key initially as evidence by the stock balancer, but I have to deal with a step, I was considering the following:

- steel spacer the correct depth/diameter of the step,
- pin spacer to crank snout
- pin balancer to spacer

OR
- Pin balancer to crank through spacer (longer pin) = RISKY

OR

- Set Screw through ARP Crank bolt into balancer (Drill pilot hole in ARP first, then use as template/guide for balancer). Still need the spacer regardless.

Let me know your thoughts!

Here's some pics...you can see the step in the first pic.

Name:  3C5A998F-3277-4C94-9D9D-2270E6A6AE9E_zpstqwua5wl.jpg
Views: 7603
Size:  212.4 KB

Name:  670AFBD3-31C3-4A5C-ABDD-0C5FB6CA7376_zpsut2faonu.jpg
Views: 10315
Size:  241.3 KB

Thanks!
Dave
Old 06-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Add closer pic of what your talking bout. From what I gathered I'd do spacer to fill void and pin both. Maybe even 2 @ 180* from each other.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BanditDave
Hey Guys,

Got an interesting situation I am looking to fix and wanted to see if anyone else has encountered and solved this. Did a pretty good check of threads on this page and others and found nada.

I am adapting an LSA Blower to the 5.3L. I am using half LSA Accessories and half C5. So far no real show stoppers other than the scumbag who sold me the C5 accessories and giving me a POS rusted alternator. That is what I get for not checking stuff out in the box until a year after getting it!

Any how, I am using the blower drive off an LSA, including the balancer. Most things went on very easily and even with the adapter plates for the cathedral heads, I was able to get the stock 8 rib belt on...very happy about that.

My main point of concern is the balancer. Was able to align it very easily, but it is not bottomed out and there is a step from the end of the crank to the balancer presumably for a long crank snout on the LSA. Since the LSA had a woodruff key initially as evidence by the stock balancer, but I have to deal with a step, I was considering the following:

- steel spacer the correct depth/diameter of the step,
- pin spacer to crank snout
- pin balancer to spacer

OR
- Pin balancer to crank through spacer (longer pin) = RISKY

OR

- Set Screw through ARP Crank bolt into balancer (Drill pilot hole in ARP first, then use as template/guide for balancer). Still need the spacer regardless.

Let me know your thoughts!

Here's some pics...you can see the step in the first pic.

Thanks!
Dave
What did you do with this? I'm putting a lsa supercharger on my 6.0. (6.0 crank was shot so I cleaned up a 5.3 crank for it) I have a stock Ctsv pulley I plan on running and not sure how to handle this when I get to this point. A friend of mine said he just pinned his but I was unaware of this need for a spacer..
Old 08-15-2016, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

False alarm on the spacing...user error, namely me....haha. No spacing needed...tighten it all the way down and it lines up properly. It will be slightly prone but you and drill and pin very easily. Did it myself on my 5.3 crank.

Dave
Old 08-16-2016, 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for coming back with your fix. many future searchers will appreciate this. I believe the CTS-V blower swap on the smaller truck motors is only going to get more popular.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BanditDave
False alarm on the spacing...user error, namely me....haha. No spacing needed...tighten it all the way down and it lines up properly. It will be slightly prone but you and drill and pin very easily. Did it myself on my 5.3 crank.

Dave
Did the truck A.C. compressor and bracket line up to use the 4 rib belt on the LSA crank pulley?

Quick Reply: LSA Balancer Spacing on 5.3L, Pinning, etc...