Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Not Another on3 BUILD!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not Another on3 BUILD!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!

Ill start off by sayin i am new to LS1 tech, i belong to other Ford forums though. I am a full on ford fan and recently decided to build a foxbody coupe and put an LQ4 in it which will eventually be a writeup as well.
I decided to go GM engine because of the car below.

a little about the car, its a 2000 camaro 162,xxx mile 5.7 aluminum block 6 speed manual T56 car. stock ten bolt rear.

Back in February my buddy bought an On3 turbo kit for his 00 camaro. Got the kit including most everything, 60lb injectors, ceramic ball bearing turbo, in-tank fuel pump.

we started by pulling the entire front end off the car. after getting the belt off there was a TON of play in the water pump pulley so a need water pump was installed. This build will not be retaining the AC.

Car has the stock k member and is keeping it for now. Had to notch the k member a little bit for clearance. Where the stock truck manifold and the crossover pipemeets on
Old 08-12-2016, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you notch the kmember more you can run real truck manifolds with the studs in them. Makes it way easier to get the crossover on and off.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good luck with it. I hope the On3 kit works out well for you. What turbo did you opt for?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Car is done, i just started the thread because i tried typing it all at once, and it logged me off before i finished typin.. lost all my work haha
its a 76mm ceramic ball bearing turbo, car makes 548RWHP, 530lb torque on 8.5 psi.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've thought about getting their F-Body non-AC kit, but from all the threads I've read, it's pretty hit and miss. How much more steam does that 76mm ceramic ball bearing turbo have in it? That was the one I was looking at too. Did you run into any fitment issues aside from having to notch the K-Member?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joe8mx
Car is done, i just started the thread because i tried typing it all at once, and it logged me off before i finished typin.. lost all my work haha
its a 76mm ceramic ball bearing turbo, car makes 548RWHP, 530lb torque on 8.5 psi.

Nice!
Old 08-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Teching In

better pic of the notch. kinda pain to do that without pulling the motor.

cut this opening here a little bigger and moved the fuse box a hair, fits in there real nice.

anybody can talk all the trash they want about on3, not everyone in the world has the money to buy top of the line **** for their first turbo setup, but you by this on3 kit, when the turbo fails you buy a garrett or whatever your preference may be.
the hot and cold piping are here to stay on this car, piping and welds are really nice. look good too.

This bolt on cover here that i dont really know GM's idea when they installed it, well we used it as the oil supply to the turbo. Drilled a hole through it, tapped it. works perfect.

dont hate on the high quality brass fittin...

cut a nice little door out to get the fuel pump out without dropping the tank.

install the pump in the stock unit...

we used the EVAP line as the return line for the fuel system. you gotta remove the check valve in the back of the car near the tank in that evap line. or itll blow fuel all over the garage on first start up, i know because thats what happen to us....
Old 08-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I've thought about getting their F-Body non-AC kit, but from all the threads I've read, it's pretty hit and miss. How much more steam does that 76mm ceramic ball bearing turbo have in it? That was the one I was looking at too. Did you run into any fitment issues aside from having to notch the K-Member?
this is the non a/c kit we got. no real bad fitment issues, they were all minor. If youre not scared of a grinder/die grinder, youre good.
Im not sure i know exactly what you mean by "steam." longevity?
Old 08-12-2016, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just curious what that turbo is rated at. I assume it would support 650+ rwhp.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Teching In

alternator bracket installed. BTW, the car has broken 2 belts so far in less than 10,000 miles. its shredding them and havent figured out why yet. Belt apppears to be running true and straight.

Notched out he radiator support to get some more clearance behind it. The radiator used was a universal rad from summit. Ran those flex aluminum rad lines. The car has two big electric fans on the front of the rad because really isnt much room on the backside. Car doesnt take the none moving traffic well. Overheated real bad once up in ocean city at street cruise in may.

first installed regulator is the one in the pic, ebay junk... its vaccum reference but fuel pressure dropped in boost. On first dyno tune car was tuned on 4.5 psi because of fuel issues. Car made 442RWHP on 4.5psi.
Now car has magnafuel reg and works correctly.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Just curious what that turbo is rated at. I assume it would support 650+ rwhp.
oooo ok, on3 rates it to 800HP..
Old 08-12-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Even better. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm by no means rich and don't have money to drop on a super expensive kit. I'm no fabricator either, so the On3 kit fits in my budget. Glad it worked well for you.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Teching In

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ex...ature=youtu.be

8.5PSI.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Even better. I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I'm by no means rich and don't have money to drop on a super expensive kit. I'm no fabricator either, so the On3 kit fits in my budget. Glad it worked well for you.
this is my boys car. him and i built it. im building mine now. gonna go a little different route, fox coupe, LQ4, turbo.. thread on my car will be started soon. working on the chassis for now, will get to the drivetrain adventually.

we have no complaints to say about the on3 kit YET...
but we dont expect the turbo to last more than 10,000-12,000 miles either. if it make it to 10k, money well spent in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't put 10,000 miles on my car since I've owned it, so that turbo would probably last me a lifetime.

Quick Reply: Not Another on3 BUILD!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!