Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Rod experts chime in

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod experts chime in

I have a question about rods. We all know that the stock gen lV with stock bolts can take the abuse. So why do people jump straight to say comp stars or k1's when upgrading. Why wouldn't you start with something like a Scat Forged I-beams with arp bolts for 380.00? Do rods not have the same progression as most parts: stock - good - better - best? Just seems like everyone bypasses the good and goes straight to better or best. Just curious. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Because people want more of a reliability... and some have different budget than others. Some like to just go with proven set up and want to get it done right the first time.
Plus there is quality control and final/manchining that people tend to go buy.. some of these rods like the cheaper ones are made in china..like scat,eagle,manley,compstars,lunati and k1..that are rated for such hp but when u get to higher rods like the pro series stuff like oliver biller or callies h/i beams , lunati pro stuff theyre made here in the usa with better forgings and the quality control is better. Machining is better..etc.. and then u see the hp rating goes up and up.

To me in my opinion.. if u have a motor apart and have a mind set on what type of set up u wanna go with... jist build it right the first time and get the best parts u can and get it done the right the first time

Last edited by xdanny510x; 09-15-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wish rod manufactures would give a nominal power and rpm figure.

It appears to get something 100% american your spending over 1k on rods. Made in China and finished in America about $600. and everything cheaper is 100% china.

amirite?
Old 09-16-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

I was reading up on this on the bullet.
One builder said to compare the rod weight.

Oliver "Speedway" model for ls are about 670g from memory and around $1300.
They are good for 2khp or so.

While tune specific, Andreas bent his compstar's at 1800ish and they are about 610g.

For stock block and crank FI- compstar's would be a good balance to me.
Eagle is about the same excluding the occasional big end out of round bnib.
Callies are machined in the US.

A buddy with a gen1 sbc has about 100 runs and a best of 167mph at 3100lbs on eagle rods.

Quick Reply: Rod experts chime in