Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lsa build timing question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsa build timing question

Need some advice. Forgive me if this has been posted before but I have searched and can't find what I'm looking for. I'm building a 6.0 that will have a cts-v supercharger and I'm at the point of installing the timing chain. I went with the machine shops recomendation to set the crank timing gear advanced 2 degrees.

i was discussing this with my dad who has years of experience working with early Sbc and bbc engines but has never messed with ls motors. He said advancing the timing is not what I want to do with a supercharger. I called the machinist and mentioned this to him and he stated he forgot my setup was being supercharged and to back it off to 0 degrees advanced. I wanted some reassurance from some of you guys who have been down this road.

ultimately need to know if I need to change the position of the timing gear gear or if it will be fine set 2 degrees advanced

Be be easy on me I'm new to engine building and just want to make sure I'm going down the right path on this stuff.

Last edited by 66gmcfleetside; 09-17-2016 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Left out details
Old 09-17-2016, 10:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

If anyone can genuinely show me a graph were 2deg actually made a noticable difference...I'd be very impressed.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
If anyone can genuinely show me a graph were 2deg actually made a noticable difference...I'd be very impressed.
thats why I'm asking. Not sure if I need to change the position of the timing gear on the crank.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

It will be fine either way, and you'd never feel a difference either way.

Perhaps if was a more extreme build with a much bigger cam, small increments may yield more of a difference, but sounds like you're all stock ?
Old 09-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
It will be fine either way, and you'd never feel a difference either way.

Perhaps if was a more extreme build with a much bigger cam, small increments may yield more of a difference, but sounds like you're all stock ?
what I'm running is a ls9 cam, 823 heads, dss dished Pistons and eagle h beam rods. Nothing crazy. Plan on using Holley hp efi to control it. The bore is stock 4" bore. Crank is stock. If I'm missing anything critical let me know

Quick Reply: Lsa build timing question