Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5 more PSI, same trap speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 744 Likes on 546 Posts

I would, but I'm fresh out of racing buds with a 26” tire… and I wasn’t going to buy a set! I don’t think this will fix the issue… but I’m sure it will make more power.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Awww well worth a shot. I hope the turbo swap solves your problem.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have some 26' hoosiers I'd ship o ya cheap
Old 10-06-2016, 06:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I may have missed it but have you tried another set of coils and wires?
Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

More power fixes everything!!!
I wonder if your lifters are having trouble at high rpm. They don't normally start having trouble out of the blue, but I did see a problem car this summer that would fall off under load at high rpm, it had new GM lifters. It was NA car and just went flat at high load/rpm, but it was sometimes decent. Swapped in a set of lifters and it cleared up.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I would, but I'm fresh out of racing buds with a 26” tire… and I wasn’t going to buy a set! I don’t think this will fix the issue… but I’m sure it will make more power.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by coltboostin
I have some 26' hoosiers I'd ship o ya cheap
Appreciate the offer, But I’d like to get it running right on the tires I have. If smaller tires and less boost fixed the issue, that would tell me the turbo was out of steam. Bigger turbo would tell me the same thing I think.

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
I may have missed it but have you tried another set of coils and wires?
Guess swapping coils is always an option, but I don’t have another set of D-585’s and it’s not cheap enough to buy a set on a hunch. I don’t think coils would all be failing at once? Wouldn’t a coil issue show up pretty clearly on its individual cylinder? Could swap them out for the square truck coils. Installed these D-585 coils last year, and the car picked up quite over the square truck coils I was running, so I’m hesitant to go back to them. Plugs don’t indicate any kind of failing/weak ignition. I’ve trimmed the cylinder fueling individually to get all the plugs looking really similar, so it would be easy to see if one cyl wasn’t firing I’d think?

Originally Posted by 427
More power fixes everything!!!
I wonder if your lifters are having trouble at high rpm. They don't normally start having trouble out of the blue, but I did see a problem car this summer that would fall off under load at high rpm, it had new GM lifters. It was NA car and just went flat at high load/rpm, but it was sometimes decent. Swapped in a set of lifters and it cleared up.

Kurt
Turbo arrives today!

Aside from the balance job, the lifters are the only thing I can think of that changed. Tried to do the right thing and replace the 130k+ Gen3 lifters with the newer versions while the engine was out. Would be typical if that was the problem! No real way to diagnose that issue either is there? If the lifters were the issue, would the engine still rev to 7k ok in first gear though?

Valve train has OEM noise levels. Injectors are louder than the valve train at 1000RPM. No idea what they are doing at RPM though.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

If it revs cleanly in first, I doubt it is lifters. When I was having issues with my lifters, its was very noticeable.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Sounds like controller issues based by what was said about the tune deal. I skimmed though
Old 10-06-2016, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Go over exactly what it did after the last pass. You said it ran poorly in the pits and you added fuel to nurse it home. Did it run poorly on the return road?

You said you switched to an old tune and all seemed well. Was this done right after getting home or did you let it sit and cool?

Have you gone back to your last tune and checked how it ran?

Trying to narrow this down to electrical or mechanical.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:54 PM
8 Second Club

May have fixed the most recent problem. Don’t think it has anything to do with the no power/RPM issue.

Went to fire the car this morning and it was acting similar to how it did at the track. Died immediately after firing. Hoping my issues last track outing are centered around the idle motor sticking during the pass. It wasn’t responding to changes made on the ECU today anyway. MS3 lets you test outputs. Popped the IAC off and it would click, but not move the plunger. Smacked it around a bit and it came back to life and cycled just fine. Would explain why it worked fine at WOT and was going crazy lean/rich and not idling after the run and being intermittent afterward.

Replaced it with a spare I had. So far so good. Fired right up and idled ok anyway.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Nice work!
Old 10-07-2016, 05:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's odd. Was it an OEM IAC? Hopefully it was that simple!
Old 10-07-2016, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Appreciate the offer, But I’d like to get it running right on the tires I have. If smaller tires and less boost fixed the issue, that would tell me the turbo was out of steam. Bigger turbo would tell me the same thing I think.

Guess swapping coils is always an option, but I don’t have another set of D-585’s and it’s not cheap enough to buy a set on a hunch. I don’t think coils would all be failing at once? Wouldn’t a coil issue show up pretty clearly on its individual cylinder? Could swap them out for the square truck coils. Installed these D-585 coils last year, and the car picked up quite over the square truck coils I was running, so I’m hesitant to go back to them. Plugs don’t indicate any kind of failing/weak ignition. I’ve trimmed the cylinder fueling individually to get all the plugs looking really similar, so it would be easy to see if one cyl wasn’t firing I’d think?

Turbo arrives today!

Aside from the balance job, the lifters are the only thing I can think of that changed. Tried to do the right thing and replace the 130k+ Gen3 lifters with the newer versions while the engine was out. Would be typical if that was the problem! No real way to diagnose that issue either is there? If the lifters were the issue, would the engine still rev to 7k ok in first gear though?

Valve train has OEM noise levels. Injectors are louder than the valve train at 1000RPM. No idea what they are doing at RPM though.
The lifters I've seen with problems were GM type that are bought in bulk. The problem car would only do it in high load, they kept chasing coils/wires thinking it was ignition. The one difference is it sometimes would be fine. After putting Johnson lifters in the car it is still working well!

The IAC does not have enough flow to mess up your car when it's driving, it could cause low/high idle, but it won't cause lean driving. I would make sure the regulator did not get stuck open on throttle cut or fuel pump problem. If both of those are OK it's in the controller/sensors.

Kurt
Old 10-07-2016, 06:49 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
That's odd. Was it an OEM IAC? Hopefully it was that simple!
Idle Air Control motor...

Name:  DSCN0379.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  19.2 KB

Originally Posted by 427
The lifters I've seen with problems were GM type that are bought in bulk. The problem car would only do it in high load, they kept chasing coils/wires thinking it was ignition. The one difference is it sometimes would be fine. After putting Johnson lifters in the car it is still working well!

The IAC does not have enough flow to mess up your car when it's driving, it could cause low/high idle, but it won't cause lean driving. I would make sure the regulator did not get stuck open on throttle cut or fuel pump problem. If both of those are OK it's in the controller/sensors.

Kurt
Been running the same Mallory FRP for 5 years or so now. It's due for a tear down anyway, I'll look into it. Wouldn't a sticking FPR or failing pump issue show up in the fuel pressure logs?

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/29389/10002/-1

Fuel pressure was steady, but I did recently install the larger MSD "boost-a-pump" that's setup to activate around 10lbs and deliver 18v.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:57 AM
TECH Junkie

The FP logs would easily alert you of problems, I was just thinking about what could cause your lean problem that required adding fuel in the base map that was not the controller/sensors. Still sounds likely the controller has problems, not sure if they are connected with your rpm/load problems.

Kurt

Been running the same Mallory FRP for 5 years or so now. It's due for a tear down anyway, I'll look into it. Wouldn't a sticking FPR or failing pump issue show up in the fuel pressure logs?

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/29389/10002/-1

Fuel pressure was steady, but I did recently install the larger MSD "boost-a-pump" that's setup to activate around 10lbs and deliver 18v.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

lol I know what an IAC is
Old 10-07-2016, 12:40 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
lol I know what an IAC is
U asked? OEM as in Original GM Equipment vs a reman offshore deal? Not sure what the question was...
Old 10-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

lol he didn't ask "what is" an OEM IAC, he asked "was it" an OEM IAC.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 PM
8 Second Club

Doh! The old reading comprehension thing... Gets me every time! I blame tiny print and cell phones!

Yes, it's an OEM IAC of unknown age... Replaced it with another used OEM one I had laying around.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

^^there you go hahaha!

Quick Reply: 5 more PSI, same trap speed