Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI D1 SC blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default ATI D1 SC blow off valve

Which is the correct location to install the blow off valve supplied by ATI for the D1? I have the smaller black valve - don't have the part number.

I switched from the 3.5 intercoolers to one front mounted intercooler. I used Bob's FMIC kit which has the valve located after the FMIC on the outlet side.

However, just noticed that ATI's front mounted kit locates the valve just after of the blower side and before the inlet into the FMIC.

I am switching to either aluminum piping or stainless because of rust inside the steel piping. Powder coater said impossible to powder coat the inside of the piping.

Just curious - is the piping that comes with the ATI FMIC kit, stainless, aluminum, or aluminiumized steel (control rust) ?
Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would always install the bov before the intercooler. No point to cool the air before dumping it.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think I perhaps asked the wrong question because the black ATI valve is a bypass valve instead of the blow off valve. If the red ATI valve is a blow off valve instead of the bypass valve is that why it is located before the inlet on the fmic?

Or does it really matter?

As I recall the original design of the DI ATI 3.5 intercooler system was to recirculate the air from the ATI bypass valve rather than vent it to air.

In either case,however, it appears that both valves in both systems vent before the intercooler(s).

Any suggestions about how to manage rust inside the steel piping, so I don't have to build a new set of pipes (stainless or aluminum)?
Old 10-23-2016, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mean I always do BOV right at where-ever the charge pipe connects to my intake...personal preference because its usually easier to putz with them there also. My srt4, integra, and soon my twin turbo TA will be like this. integra and SRT4 were made like that. Idk its kinda preference? Real has a point, why cool air you will dump anyways? but you do not require a BOV, its for compressor surge. I didn't have one on my integra till I went above 25lbs of boost on it. SRT4 I don't think had one at all before I put it on.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

procharger and all centris need a blowoff because the blower flow is directly proportional to RPM, where air requirements of the motor are based on many factors. The blower RPM to motor RPM is more or less fixed.

I would place either a BOV or recirc valve right after the blower.

1- you don't want to cool air for no reason

2- if you have a recic, you want to keep the recirc loop short back into the blower.

keep in mind the blower will heat the air- so there is no point to cool it and recirc it back though.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Too bad I never took a good look at the piping system that I bought. Just assumed it was built correctly.

So looks like I will have to add the ATI bypass tube aft of the blower and before the FMIC inlet tube. There is actually more room on the passenger side as well (1998 Z 28).

As for cooling the air - putting the ATI bypass before the fmic makes more sense as well, because most of the time the system is not in boost.

With my present system this has caused the heated air to go through the fmic causing it to gradually build heat (heat soak) - when really - it should have been venting to atmosphere before the fmic, not after. Just think about how much cooler it would have been.

Guess this proves that sometime it pays to question the pros who build and sell stuff that isn't always correct.

Thanks for the explanation and tips.

Quick Reply: ATI D1 SC blow off valve