Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

on3 front mount ls1 w/ A/C and factory radiator in a 93 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default on3 front mount ls1 w/ A/C and factory radiator in a 93 firebird

I know there are a bunch of 4th gen front mount builds on ls1tech, but it looks like most everyone swaps over to a griffen radiator. I retained the factory condenser and radiator from the 93, using derale push fans. Also apparently I am one of the few sick individuals to swap body harnesses as well as a ls1/ t56 and dash out of a 2001 camaro ss into my 93 firebird. I'll post up more pictures in a couple days, but here is a picture from today.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

I guess I never updated my progress on this build. I finished the build and had it dynoed last spring. I promptly blew up my ls1 that night. Ringlands blew out on a few pistons. I couldn't tell when I removed the heads because the piston tops were all intact, the bottoms all blew out. It was fun for 4 highway pulls until it died on me. We suspect that the back pressure on my full 3" exhaust with muffler caused the failure. Anyhow, I bought a forged bottom end thompson motorsports 5.3 for around $3k, and installed it. I installed a 228/ 230 cam, pac 1218s, and the stock 241s with a mild exhaust port job. Goal cr was 9.5:1. Its at Slowhawk Performance getting a meth kit, a cutout, and tuning currently. I'm hopping for around 600rwhp at 20psi. Here's a couple pictures that I had on my phone.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good. Post of pics of the pusher fans etc. Id like to see that
Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TPIZ92
Looks good. Post of pics of the pusher fans etc. Id like to see that
I’ll check my old phone for pictures tonight, but I just mounted 2 derale pusher fans right on the radiator. They are staggered slightly to fit.Also just heard back from Don at slowhawk. Car made 500 rwhp on 9psi. We are looking to turn it up to 16 or so. He had to order a new boost controller bc the on3 was junk. I’ll update later this week when it comes in. Should make 600+ wheel
Old 01-02-2018, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DMarts10
I’ll check my old phone for pictures tonight, but I just mounted 2 derale pusher fans right on the radiator. They are staggered slightly to fit.Also just heard back from Don at slowhawk. Car made 500 rwhp on 9psi. We are looking to turn it up to 16 or so. He had to order a new boost controller bc the on3 was junk. I’ll update later this week when it comes in. Should make 600+ wheel
not bad at all. I had tuned a few on3 kits and had similar issues with wastegates performing poorly and boost being all over the place. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

After throwing a bunch of new parts at the car... new boost controller, cutout, meth kit, new plugs, etc, firebird made 59x rwhp and 63x rwtq at 12psi. The wastegate was unable to hold 16lbs over 4800 rpm and dropped back to 12psi. I just ordered a 44mm wastegate from vsracing and hopefully it does the trick with an 8 lb spring. Ill be picking it up from slowhawk tomorrow and ill toss the wastegate in the car at some point between now and spring time.

Quick Reply: on3 front mount ls1 w/ A/C and factory radiator in a 93 firebird