Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

6.0 lq4 or 6.2 Ls3 short with an Lsa headed turbo motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6.0 lq4 or 6.2 Ls3 short with an Lsa headed turbo motor ?

I have an Ls3 short now but I'm not sure if I should use in the new setup. I'm looking to make 800hp+ with my new combo
id like to push this motor and it would really hurt to wreck this 6.2 shortblock. It wouldn't be so bad hurting an older lq4
Either 6.0 iron or 6.2 aluminum short, boost cam, LSA heads, fast 102/102 setup. I haven't picked a turbo yet but I'm leaning towards an old school T88 T4 or 80mm
98 6 spd Camaro

Last edited by fastcars95; 11-26-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My opinion is if you have it, run it. What will would you do with the one you have if you don't run it? Sell it? If you wanted to you could buy a set of forged pistons, that lower the CR just a little, and file the rings appropriately for a turbo build. You can buy the pistons with a set of forged rods from TSP for just about $1K. LS3 with a factory crank, forged rods, and forged pistons is plenty strong for quite a bit of boost. Bad tunes, too much timing, too little fuel will break it, but that will also crack a piston in an iron 6.0 just the same. The failures I've seen on boosted LS motors have been cracked pistons, and rod bolt failures. I'd spend my money on forged rods and pistons, before I bought another iron 6.0. Another benefit of the LS3 short block is about 90 lbs less on the front end, that's always a plus.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

That's not a bad idea. I also have a set of Lsa rods and Pistons laying around . The piston isn't forged but it is a much better piston over a stock non Lsa piston.

What do u think. Lsa Pistons or forged Pistons. Keep the budget in mind. This is supposed to be a budget build
Old 11-27-2016, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My thoughts are the same, If you have 'em run em. If you are going to do the work yourself, I'd probably run the LSA pistons if they are better. I'm not familiar with them, they are still a hypereutectic design, so I don't know how much better they are? Its hard to quantify. If I had to pay someone to do It I probably wouldn't swap to the LSA, probably not enough of a performance jump to justify it. Keep in mind there are people using stock pistons in 800+ hp turbo builds all the time. Put good rod bolts in the LSA rods, with the LSA pistons and run em. That would take some serious boost, and you don't need to buy anything. I'd probably open up the gaps on the rings on the LSA pistons to about 0.028 top, and 0.030 2nd ring.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

The Lsa rods and Pistons are a very good combo.
I'd like to make min 800whp with this turbo setup.
Originally I didn't plan on touching the 6.2 shortblock. I was more afraid of breaking it and wrecking the block.

I have a stock L96 on 12lbs with a blower cam making just over 800whp. I understand what gm stock stuff can do.

Quick Reply: 6.0 lq4 or 6.2 Ls3 short with an Lsa headed turbo motor ?