Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo and supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 07:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo and supercharged

im a newbie at this so i was wondering...is it possible to have both??? If so has it been attempted and how many horses
Old 06-23-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything is possible if you have a fat enough wallet

It would be too complicated IMO.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

While it is possible, it is trailer queen material. It looks cool as ice at car shows, but that's about it. Too much boost, too much money, and too many installation problems. Just do a big 'ol Procharger, or a big set of twins. Same result, powerwise, just about a million less problems. Now go out and have a great day.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

a proper turbo setup, will give you as much power as both.

the only way to make it work good. is a large single turbo, and a roots/screw blower, (with a clutch to disengauge) to get low end boost to help spool up the turbo.

Ryan
Old 06-24-2004, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

I saw a big truck with twin turbos feeding a blower. Money talks and hod rods walk.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

definatly not needed and a waste of time.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey guys this newbie has a 9 second car...hehe... he said he has timeslips to "prove" it... haha..ha...hahahahahahaha....

are you thinking of adding turbos to your already supercharged 9 second car??

BBBWWWWAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA
Old 06-29-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Anyway what the guy with the grafiti username (Ummm BS flag... ) is refering to is called twin charging... It's been done.. Usually just to eliminate turbo lag... The efficiency is below that of a twin turbos engine since a supercharger is lower efficiency than a turbo and even when clutched off it is a flow restriction in the induction system. Mercedes is the only MFG I have seen put a clutch on a supercharger and that was just to shut it down for fuel economy.

Well my DSM was'nt ricey and made around 600whp thru the intercooled PTE compressed intake charge. Couple that with AWD and around 2700 lbs wet.....

When I had a good trans in the thing it was awesome.....

On a V8 I'd just build a mean long block with compression ratio and cam specs (matters alot) for a turbocharger. Then just run two identical turbos that are just right for the displacement. You will start building boost soon off of idle and cary enough to redline.. When you have 6.0 plus displacement just run them at 10-12psi.... I ran a single at 25+ on a 2.0 liter to make about half as much HP as 15-20 psi on a fullybuilt V8...

http://www.montygwilliams.com/

That is 1200hp at only 20 psi...

Also note If anyone wants to do the checking the 60-1 turbos he used are smaller than the 56 GT40 I ran in the DSM... The GT40 is capable of around 680hp and is a wheel more efficient at higher pressure ratios (boost levels) than the 60-1... So actually he did it smart.. Quick spool, heads, exhaust and valvet trane that flow well allow sane boost level, plus displacement equals insane HP without being too peaky or fragile... Basically just two turbos on a built chev V8 will make mincemeat (with traction) out of a stock trans (manual or auto),

Quick Reply: Turbo and supercharged