Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Some of the reasons why I chose Huron Speed for my A/C Turbo Kit (Long Read)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thumbs up Some of the reasons why I chose Huron Speed for my A/C Turbo Kit (Long Read)

Cliff Notes – Awesome Quality, Great Customer Service, great deal going on now!

As of now, I believe there are 4 single turbo kits (front mount) for the 1998-2002 F-Body platforms. Some have the ability to retain the A/C system, others do not. The one thing that they all provide is a means to add boost to your car. Being a “Turbo Newbie”, I have a lot to learn. When you check them out and wonder, “why are some more expensive than others?” It comes down to the parts that come with the kit. I discovered that some come with no name generic parts and others you have a choice of brand name parts that are proven to complete your kit. While some of the cheaper kits might get the job done in the short term, long term is what you should be really looking at. Do it right the first time!

Here’s a little history about my car. Probably 10 years ago, I was interested in adding a turbo kit to my 2001 Camaro SS M6. For most of us, our cars are very special to us in their own way. Mine, it was my first brand new car I ever bought, I even had the chance to order it from the dealer back in July of 2000. Within the first couple of years of owning it, I installed a Nitrous Dry kit, heads and cam and swapped cams 2 more times after that. I wanted more power so I started researching single turbo kits that could retain the A/C system, I found one but the design seemed odd but it worked for some people. The crossover from the passenger side header plumbed into the driver’s side log manifold. From a tuning standpoint, closed loop fueling would not work properly since the driver’s side O2 sensor would pick up both sides of the exhaust. Then I heard of many people having issues with the log manifold cracking. The alternator also needed to be moved and you had to cut a metal support in front of the radiator.

After seeing that the kit had some issues, I got turned off of the idea of turbocharging my car. In 2010, I was on a quest for more power for my car. I gave up on the turbo set up and built a heads and cam LS3 for my car which I installed in May of 2011. The car made good power and is a blast to drive on the street. After a few years of having a LS3 in my car, I started thinking that having some more power was in order.

Last summer/fall, I had a good buddy of mine (Bill B.) telling me about some of the turbo kits on the market these days. After a few months of BS'ing back and forth, I started checking out companies that provide turbo kits for our type of cars. I was surprised to see that the kits out now are more affordable than 10 years ago along with more choices. Being a turbo newbie, at first I wasn't sure what I was looking at, wanted or needed. I narrowed it down to 2 companies with a little research on this forum and the interwebs. lol

I made a thread in this section asking which kit would be best for me. Surprisingly It was hands down that most if not all were in favor of Huron Speed. I got in contact with Jon at Huron Speed and started asking a ton of questions. Jon was very prompt, polite, technical, truthful, and honest when answering all my questions. He even sent me a few pictures to view as well. I was amazed at how fast Jon would respond to my emails, ranging anywhere from a few minutes to just an hour or so, depending on when I sent my email. In between all the questions I was asking him, I was doing even more research about turbo kits and Huron Speed as well. Most of the threads on the message boards I came across about Huron Speed were all praising the awesome customer service support and the quality of their kits. It wasn’t just current customers but future customers as well commenting. To be honest, I didn't expect that, I found years of good remarks about them, impressive. To find years and years of positive remarks from so many different people about the customer service and the kits they sell really says something about that company!

Since my car is a low mile car (19,xxx, never driven in rain or snow) it’s in almost new condition. Those 19k miles are hard miles. The car has been down the track at least 150 times, maybe more. I don’t want to hack up my car or move the factory alternator to make a turbo kit fit my car. I want a turbo kit that retains A/C, keeps engine accessories in the factory location, has high quality parts, a great fit and finish along with proven real world customer support. For me, the look of the kit is important as well, this kit will really enhance the appearance of the engine bay since I have some chrome and painted pieces here and there.

When I was comparing pictures of the 2 kits I had in mind, they both look great. But when you "RRRREALLY" compare the pictures/kits in close detail, you will see the differences in the quality and engineering between the two kits. Some of the differences are small, some people won’t even notice them between the kits, and it helped me decide on which kit would fit me and my car’s style. Huron Speed is the choice for me. There was one “cheaper” kit I was looking at, the way the exhaust manifolds were designed; I was thinking how the hell to you change spark plugs, good lord! It looked good, but in reality the design was horrible.

Installing a turbo kit on any car is an expensive mod. Be realistic with what you’re willing to pay for everything to make it happen and for it to work properly when it’s fully installed. There are times that you have to make a compromise, with their A/C Turbo Kit, you must use an aftermarket turbo K-Member, no way around it since our engine bays are so cramped.

One “downside” is if you want to call it that, you can’t use the factory fans in the factory location due to the location of the turbo in front of the engine. The solution is to use 2 pusher fans in front of the condenser/radiator. You can’t use the factory fan wiring to provide power to the new aftermarket fans; if you do, you run the risk of melting the wire or fire due to the high current draw. You must use an external relay system to run them. Being that I have over 20 years of electrical/electronic experience from design, maintaining and testing, I will build a custom relay harness that taps into the factory relay box to power the fans, (plug and play). If it turns out well, maybe I’ll make a few extra for future turbo guys.

I won’t be installing my turbo kit till probably the beginning of next year, 2018. I have to buy other supporting parts as well, Turbo K-member, injectors, clutch, fuel system, boost gauge, etc. More than likely I will be selling my current LS3 (whole engine, only has 2,500 miles on it) and will build another LS3 for boost come fall of 2017. I’m gonna drool over my kit all summer with it just sitting in the garage but I want to build the car right. I plan on doing a full build thread on here so stay tuned!

With the current group purchase it’s a hell of a deal considering the quality of the kit you will receive. Huron Speed makes it easier for us to get into a turbo kit. Pay $750 now and within the 2-3 months, pay the rest in full when you get your tax refund check. Free shipping, discount on the kit, and a discount on parts to complete the kit when ordering it from them. You couldn’t ask for better guys to deal with!

If anyone reading this is on the fence about getting a Huron Speed turbo kit, I hope this helps you out. While some of the other kits out there will probably work fine for some people and their budgets, for me, it’s the whole package - quality, price and support that Huron Speed provides! Always remember, “Cheaper is not always better”, sometimes you get what you pay for and it can bite you in the *** costing you 50% or more later!

I’m far from a “Turbo Expert” but if you have any questions about my experience thus far with Huron Speed, feel free to ask or hit up Jon at Huron Speed. I know he will help you out as he did me.

Thank you Jon!

Bill
Old 01-13-2017, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Tldr: Huron speed is nice, OP will not install kit for another year.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that's a big *** post and haven't even recieved our installed your kit yet lmao.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for the nice post Bill!
Glad we were able to help you out with your questions and also get you into a kit!
Appreciate all of the kind words, you will be very happy with your kit and the whole Huron Speed experience

Jon

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed

Quick Reply: Some of the reasons why I chose Huron Speed for my A/C Turbo Kit (Long Read)