Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Steve's and Mike's Turbo Formula

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool car. And yes, it crushed our time. But I hardly think the two cars are comparable, IMHO. Mine has AC, PS, full interior, heavier than full weight, stock (well....just read my Sig), and a stock 6 speed. And my car is DEFINITELY not a "high dollar shop car". It's a BUDGET car, in every sense of the word.

Nonetheless, super impressive! Can't wait to see it next time out!
Old 06-25-2004, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

wow!!!, thats awesome, is that a c5r block?
Old 06-26-2004, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rob Raymer
Very cool car. And yes, it crushed our time. But I hardly think the two cars are comparable, IMHO. Mine has AC, PS, full interior, heavier than full weight, stock (well....just read my Sig), and a stock 6 speed. And my car is DEFINITELY not a "high dollar shop car". It's a BUDGET car, in every sense of the word.

Nonetheless, super impressive! Can't wait to see it next time out!
Yea Rob, the Air Conditioner kept getting in the way so we had to remove it... I know you helped Mike do some tuning on his yellow car he only has going things to say about you. This is definetly a budget car, Steve, Mike, and I call it po-boy-racing...

Kevin
Old 06-26-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by stage274
wow!!!, thats awesome, is that a c5r block?
No, not enough in our budget for a C5R motor, good old 382...
Old 06-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's a couple of pics....don't hate me Mike
Attached Thumbnails Steve's and Mike's Turbo Formula-racer21.jpg   Steve's and Mike's Turbo Formula-racer18.jpg   Steve's and Mike's Turbo Formula-racer26.jpg  
Old 06-26-2004, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Hey Kevin, I completely understand having to remove the A/C. I was only pointing out that comparing my car and yours, wasn't exactly comparing apples to apples (as some people tend to believe). That was all. Your accomplishment speaks for itself.

I've known about your project for a while and was actually really glad you got the chance to prove what you could do at the NvS event. And to think...that was just your first trip to the track....

Keep up the great work, and keep raising the bar. That's how we all progress.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL....those pictures do make it look like "po boy racing".............but, it only has to be functional...not bling bling. What are they thinking this car has the potential to run?

Rob, when you gonna run yours again? I figured you'd have gotten your 9 sec slip in that car by now.

Is Mike still running the yellow car? That thing looks awesome going down the track.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

I retired the Formula. Sold the entire drivetrain out of it, engine, turbo kit, rearend, etc, and it's going back to basically stock. Sold the Viper and the Buick and bought an '01 Z06. The Z06 is in the process of getting our C5 Twin Turbo kit, capable of producing a completely streetable 1200+fwhp. Basically the same kit already on our own Tim Eger's '97 C5, the three '02 C5R SS's we are doing right now for GM, and Lingenfelter SS's car.

We don't plan on completely skipping the 9's...but I do plan on completely skipping 14xmph trap speeds.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Mike still has the yellow car. I built a new short block for him over the winter, but his focus has been the black car. After he has time to pay attention to the yellow car, it should prolly be deep in the 9's. I understand he may have other plans for the yellow car. I think the Incon kit is now "under-powered" for the car

Those pics were during the fab work. They are not "final" images.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Kevin, I completely understand having to remove the A/C. I was only pointing out that comparing my car and yours, wasn't exactly comparing apples to apples (as some people tend to believe). That was all. Your accomplishment speaks for itself.

I've known about your project for a while and was actually really glad you got the chance to prove what you could do at the NvS event. And to think...that was just your first trip to the track....

Keep up the great work, and keep raising the bar. That's how we all progress.
Hey Rob, you started many people on the path to forced induction and many people as much as they would hate to admit it would have never made it as far as they did what out the help you provided them. I have only heard good things about you and the work you have done. I wish you the best...
Old 06-26-2004, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

First I would like to thank my spokesmen. I don't have a lot of time to get on here anymore. I would really like to thank Kevin276 who helped us from the beginning with the car and did all the wiring. Kurt at Wheel to Wheel who hooked us up big time with all his knowledge, guidence and support. We wouldn't be where we are without you. John Meaney (Mr Big Stuff) who has done the tuning. You are the man. Big Stuff 3 is by far the most install friendly and user friendly standalone system out there. With features that surpass the compition. Well done.

The block is just a plain old LS1 with a stroker. Just using off the shelf ARP headstuds and stock gaskets. With a few tricks done here and there.

We were having all kinds of problems at NvsS. The car stopped charging, fuel pump was dieing(not related to charging), and the car was on the wheelie bars for all of first gear. We have since fixed the alternator problem. New fuel pump will be here first of the week. DO NOT BUY A KING SUMO PUMP. Wheelie bars now have clearance and are lifted up.
The fuel pump issue was keeping us from running max boost and the wheelie bars were keeping us from launching the car hard. The 9.18 pass was launching at 5-7psi and boost coming up to about 20 somewhere before the 1/8th.
We will now be leaving at 10+ and max set to 24. Plus the car is now 100lbs lighter. Just looking to be the fastest LS1. That's all.

My CE is running high 9's - low 10's but think I have out grown the Incon. So it is due for a major transformation. The Incon kit is sold and I'm building a single 88mm set up for it. This all starts next weekend.

Rob, good luck with your projects. Sounds bad ***. Hope to see you at the track soon. We will let you know when we will be heading to Edgewater. Maybe we can meet up.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited by TwnTrboCE; 06-26-2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Hey Mike, wish I had known you were going to use a King Sumo pump. I have 2 of them at my shop right now that didn't last 4 passes combined on the silver Z!

A single Weldon took care of everything for us.

Hope to hit Edgewater in about 4-6 weeks with the TT Z06. I'll definitely give you a shout when we're ready....

Kevin, thanks a lot for the kind words. I sincerely appreciate it.

Is Meaney a cool guy, or what? Tell him I said "hey" next time you talk to him...
Old 06-27-2004, 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I knew I spied some of the special green tape from W2W in photo #2.

You all give me the motivation to keep moving forward with my project which has progressed nicely until my current issue of not being able to lower the boost anywhere below 20lbs (even with the gates completely removed). Obviously this kit has issues that need to be addressed before it either blows the motor or I blow my own gasket!
Props to the progress you have made and are making!
Old 06-27-2004, 02:29 AM
On The Tree

Jammer - are you running open exhaust by chance?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

We learned the hard way on the King Sumo. When we first put it on the car it wouldn't make 30psi before the pump would stop running. This was after 3 hours of break in. So we sent it back. They said the pump was fine, it just needed broke in longer. So we put it back on the car and it seemed to be fine at 43psi base. But when the boost was coming up and the regulator was going 1 to 1 it was stopping. We took it off when we got home and the filter after the pump was full of metal shavings and the fuel looked like mud. Luckily Craig at Cincy Speed is taking care of us and taking it back and giving us credit toward a Magna Fuel pump. I will never buy another Barry Grant product again.

We might hit E-water in a couple weeks. We'll let you know. Can't wait to see the ZO6 though.

All the Meaneys are cool as can be. We have actually had the honor of meeting all three brothers. What engine management system are you guys going to use? The Big Stuff 3 is simply awesome.

See ya soon.

Jammer, thanks. It sounds like you may need some backpressure. Or at what angle is your wastegate at to turbo. In other words, if your wastegate hole is 90* on the exhaust. The exhaust might be going right past it. Hope that makes since.

Hey Mike, wish I had known you were going to use a King Sumo pump. I have 2 of them at my shop right now that didn't last 4 passes combined on the silver Z!

A single Weldon took care of everything for us.

Hope to hit Edgewater in about 4-6 weeks with the TT Z06. I'll definitely give you a shout when we're ready....

Kevin, thanks a lot for the kind words. I sincerely appreciate it.

Is Meaney a cool guy, or what? Tell him I said "hey" next time you talk to him...
Old 06-27-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Rob amd TwnTboCE, The exhaust is as follows: 2.5 inch down pipes stepping to 3" where the gates dump back into the the system...then directly into a bullett off each downpipe...it then "Y's" into a 4" pipe which travels over the axel and splits back into dual 3", through another bullet and out the back So, in total there are 4 bullets.
The waste gates are relying on some type of intergal window is the t3 exhaust housing because the waste gate plumbing begins in the 5 bolt turbo exhaust flange, goes to a 90 degree 42mm Waste Gate, then dumps back into the exhaust at the bottom of the stepped downpipe. I have to wonder if the exhaust gasses want to travel to what appears to be a 1" hole leading from the turbo housing into the waste pipe, then 90 degrees therough the waste gate. The solution may be to relocate the waste pipe to before the turbo and not rely on the current design. Out of all the people that have been involved in design and installation, no one ever predicted this may be an issue so it was a last minute surprise.
I agree with the comment about John Meaney. I met him at W2W last week along with Kurt... just plain good people. My Big Stuff is waiting for PU, but I need to get this issue taken care of.
Nobody seems to have any idea why the kit was designed in this manner, but this same design worked for A-Dee-O and Noyzee, but they have less cubes and smaller turbos.
BTW, the turbos are T3 76mm turbines, TO4E 56 mm compressors

Thanks for the interest.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:01 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meaney, Urban...I got a 382, make it faster please! I just ran a 10, and yours appears a litle faster!!!
Old 06-27-2004, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't tell everybody about the green TAPE!!
Kurt
Originally Posted by Jammer
I knew I spied some of the special green tape from W2W in photo #2.

You all give me the motivation to keep moving forward with my project which has progressed nicely until my current issue of not being able to lower the boost anywhere below 20lbs (even with the gates completely removed). Obviously this kit has issues that need to be addressed before it either blows the motor or I blow my own gasket!
Props to the progress you have made and are making!
Old 06-27-2004, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

hope to make it to edge water with a turbo formula of my own, if i could just get it together and have rob to do some tuning for me. times are awesome and cant wait to see the 8's coming from turbo ls1 cars. good luck! i know that i will need it
Old 06-27-2004, 09:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

Is the 96 a SR or hydraulic cam?

You guys racing with C16?

Quick Reply: Steve's and Mike's Turbo Formula