Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Magnasun 2300 VS Procharger F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 02:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnasun 2300 VS Procharger F1

Apologies for the long post but want to get as much info as possible before making this expensive decision, so I have a quick FI question for you Gals and Guys.

Little info on my car first. It's a Iron Block 408 with a Cathedral port top end. Car currently makes 504rwhp and 489rwtq. Heads are PRC LS6 2.5 head milled to 59cc making my compression around 10.1 "Intend on going with a set of 6.0 heads to lower the compression" but may stick with my current ones since the compression isn't to awful at 10.1 since I'm not trying to go all out . Cam Set up is from EPS, a 247/255 on a 110LSA with a lift of .623/632. Know that I'll lose some HP and Bleed off boost but that's what I'm willing to do to keep my extremely strong mid-topend power it has. The bottom end is capable of taking 1500hp at the crank but do not plan on surpassing 1000.

F1 Procharger- Not looking to spin either supercharger to the max "due to heat and plus it's my daily driver/ weekend warrior, wont ever see the track but need more street power without over doing the nitrous which the motor wasn't built for. So i'm shooting for 700-750 at the wheels before a maximum shot of 100 wet that'll more likely have the pilled to a 75 shot. Main goal for the nitrous is for cooling and the extra power if I was to get edged out during a race.
For the F1 I've heard that the front has to be cut pretty good to make the intercooler and pipes clear everything. Last but not least, a DISC is out of the question. Don't wanna have to spin the charger highest it'll spin just to make 650 at the wheel especially since the price of the 2 are very similar.

Magnason 2300-From the looks of it, it's basically a drop in kit "besides lowering the K-Member and cutting a notch into the wiper cowl. Only planning on running 10 lbs of boost max with this blower since the Nitrous should make up some lost power. Only downside about this blower is that I have a ported Fast 102 from Vengeance that was purchased the day they hit and replacing it and the Fuel Rails would be a big blow in the pockets

-Currently running 60lb Mototron Injectors "Are they to small for FI"and a Single Racetronix in tank pump. Do I need to upgrade to a dual in tank pump setup, keep the racetronix and add a inline pump or again stick with the Racetronix and go with a separate fuel cell for the nitrous.
Car will still run 93 pump, no E85, or Race gas on a conservative tune. May see 100 octane here and there but won't be tuned for it, itll just be for playing it safe on certain beat on her days.
So if anyone have a little experience to share on this or if I wasn't completely clear about something please enlighten me. but all said and done, looking for a conservative 750whp setup before Nitrous

Would like to know the Pros and Cons of each...

Thanks for any info and apologies for the long Post

Oh last but not least, my father have a stock C5 Z and would the Magnuson wake her up more. He basically want to keep it close to stock tryin to keep it a sleeper "even though a Z can't be a sleeper lol". Thanks for all inputs.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First off I would yank that big *** cam out and put something WAAAY smaller for boost. like a 228/231 .600 .600 max cam. That cam IMO is way to big for a boosted setup. Why beat the hell out of all the valve train and springs if you can just add 1lb of boost to make up for the difference in the cam. Doesn't make any sense not to put a smaller cam in.

Second I know this isn't one of your options, but putting a blower on an f-body is a HUGE PITA for what you get. "belt slip and less power then a turbo". Been there done that and won't ever do it again. Turbo's are 10x more fun and IMO not any harder to install on an f-body.

Also if your going boost there is no need for the Fast manifold or the n20. Sell both of those and that will pay for a big chunk of a turbo kit! Or blower if thats what you decide you have to have.

For the fuel setup. The 60lb injectors usually max out around 700rwhp. I have dual walbro 255's and that's what I would recommend, but I would just buy 2 walbro 255's or one if you already have it and put a T-fitting in tank. Easiest way to do it and it will support 800rwhp on stock lines and regulator.

Now for your dad's C5z.. Depending on the power he is wanting to make you can not beat a P1sc or D1sc procharger kit on a c5 or c6 vette IMO. The procharger kits made for vette's are 10x better then what they make for f-bodys. I had p1sc's procharger kits on my c5 z06 and on my c6 corvette and loved them both. Also prochargers have a self contained oil system so no worrying about drilling the pan on a nice vette.

For my c5z I found a very nice quallity used procharger kit off another vette for $2800. Installed it in a weekend, got a quick tune on it, and drove it 5 hours to the dyno. It put down 550rwhp on low boost and the next day took it to the track and ran 11's@125 on street tires spinning like hell and me being a **** driver lol.

To sum it up you can't beat the prochargers clean, easy install that makes great reliable power on a vette and an f-body you can't beat a turbo because of the lack of a quality supercharger kit and the awesome power they make.

1. Ditch the huge cam, N20, and FAST manifold if going with boost

2. Look hard at a huron speed turbo kit.

3. Do dual 255's with a simple T-fitting for the fuel. Look in the fuel section in the stickys at mightymouse dual in tank install. All you will need is a boost switch, second pump, t-fitting, and a simple racetronix fuel pump relay harness for the second pump.

4. Put a procharger kit on the vette!
Old 03-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

I was looking strong into the f-body maggie kit. From what I gather though, in order for them to achieve the 700rwhp numbers, a decent amount of boost is being run. Therefore, the provided 6-rib pulley setup most likely will lead to belt slip issues and an 8-rib setup and rear cog gear setup would be in order. An 8-rib setup and rear cogs is going to add almost another 1500.00 or so to that kit, which still doesn't include fuel system upgrades.

The post above mentioned the Huron turbo kit. That is the route I ended up going. I got a kit with all the bells and whistles for roughly half the cost of what the TVS2300 kit and 8-rib pulley setup was going to cost. At the end of the day though, the sound and looks of a PD blower can't be beat, hence the reason I really wanted to make that setup work.

Not sure of the fitment involved for the procharger, but the TVS2300 will require a portion of the cowl to be cut out and a custom box welded in. That, for me personally,throws the whole part of the kit being a "bolt-on" out the window.

I would put the maggie on the corvette and go the procharger or turbo route for the f-body.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I don't know much about quality of the maggie kits for the c5 vettes. If they are good I might do a maggie over a procharger. Just for the sound alone. The sound of a turbo and a maggie are very close. My car sound like a damn jet taking off and the only other sound I could compare is the whine of a maggie. I'm not sure what is better, but I LOVE the sound of my turbo... I remember when looking at maggies for my vette's the killer for me was replacing the stock hood. I believe with a maggie you will need an aftermarket hood...

Honestly the magnuson 2300 would be pretty badass on the f-body if you could make it work. If you don't want to go turbo my vote would be to make the maggie work! Still would def change the Cam and sell the n20 and fast manifold for any of the three mentioned.

Last edited by sweet99ss; 03-05-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

10.1 compression is fine. That cam though is horrible. Something in the 224/239 is way better. If you only want 700-750 a D1 can easily do that. I would rather spin the blower a little more vs getting a F series and barely spinning it. Will have a better midrange with the D1. I wouldn't even bother with a Maggie of anything but that's just me I hate those style blower.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys!! That pretty much made my path clear on what needs to be done. Granted there's a difference "sweet99ss" in running a turbo on a.Crotch Rocket compared to a car, but I had problems consistently with my bike when it wasn't running like a champ making 290s at the wheels on a pretty good amount of boost but other than that it was nothing but problems.
Choice for the C5.Z.will be the Maggie and the F1 for the FBody since you guys recommend ditching the Nitrous completely, I'll j7st boost it more to be around 1k at the crank. The nitrous was for a.Safety Margin to use instead of Meth bit I do see you all POV as well.
Hope to get something moving In the next few weeks, and once again.thanks.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

BTW, Detoxx your car continues to impress.

Quick Reply: Magnasun 2300 VS Procharger F1